Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

The performance speed of Windows 8 has me spoiled. I simply cannot go back to Windows 7. I still use 7 at work, but at home, I'm on 8 and every second of performance increase is very noticable...and I'm not even using RTM.

Workflow-wise, no different than 7 to me. I hit that desktop button on Metro and I live in desktop for 95% of the time unless I want to play one of those new Metro games or run a Metro app. I've always been a power user, so I don't need to click GUI buttons and waste time waiting for a visual cue feedback before moving on. I just shortcut everything with the keyboard and go straight to what I need. Because of this, I am not affected by Metro at all.

• Like 3

If you don't like change then my advice to you is to get out of the IT industry. Change is the only thing we are assured of and we can plan for!

Nobody like changes but everybody like progress

Changes which detoriorates the productivity of end-users, reduces functionalities or, in more generic terms, do not make the product better compared to the previous versions are regressions.

This is true of every products, not just operating systems.

Ask yourself the question for everything: what is my benefits, my gains if I buy/get this product?

I did try Windows 8 and after a long try-out, as far as I am concerned and for my needs, the pros do not outweight the cons.

Other people may have other usages and Windows 8 might a better product for them.

In any case, we will see how Windows 8 will sell in the next months or years and depending on how it sells, Microsoft will alter Windows 9

• Like 4

If you don't like change then my advice to you is to get out of the IT industry. Change is the only thing we are assured of and we can plan for!

What's latest isn't always the best. Windows 8 will have the same fate as Vista, it will be skipped by businesses, schools etc.

Windows team got blinded by the tablets and forgot why people buy Windows.

I'll also be sticking to Windows 7, as I find nothing about 8 I like that makes me want to upgrade to it.. I am not finding the OS buggy by any means, the OS does work.. I just don't like the way it works on my system, if it was a touch screen I might feel different.. But na I find it to slow to work with, and don't like how it works with doing two or more things at once.

I'm not sure yet on upgrading.

It looks slick, it is fast, but the constant switching of programs (MS office programs, but even the Windows Explorer (or should I say File Explorer)) between Metro and desktop keeps annoying me.

Also the fact that the Windows 8 Apps, like People and Calendar cannot get their data from a local Outlook pst file isn't a plus for me.

Ah well... we'll see when it's released and which (third party) programs fill this hole....

I hit that desktop button on Metro and I live in desktop for 95% of the time unless I want to play one of those new Metro games or run a Metro app.

This is a good example.

Doesn't it bother you guys to know that Microsoft devoted so many resources and money to come up with something that people tend to avoid 95% of the time? That the developers purposely sacrificed the desktop experience in regards to Metro, a UI catered for touchscreen? Shouldn't they have focused more on where the majority of the users will be spending their time?

I will run it as dual-boot option at first to evaluate if it is worth to replace Windows 7 with it. Going by the experience with the Release Preview I don't see much of a reason to make the switch yet. I can live with the Start Screen, some of the enhancements to the desktop experience are good. But good enough to ditch Windows 7? At this point in time - no.

• Like 2

People are saying that Microsoft will fix this in Windows 9 like they fixed Vista in Windows 7, and acting as though this will free them from the 'clutches' of Metro.

In Windows 7 there wasn't a single feature from Vista taken away, just the whole thing made lighter and tighter. This to me would say that Metro isn't going to go away.

So if you hate it that much, time to sweat Windows 7 for as long as it will last you and then move to a different platform.

And good riddance to you...

• Like 2

You've been using WIndows for 20 years and you dont know Alt+Tab or Win+Tab?

Do people always use CTRL+W to close a window? or that X button also?

<snipped out quote of removed post>

You're right. It's Microsoft's decision. And they make that decision based on how users react. If enough people whine about Windows 8, if there is enough negative buzz about it, that Windows 8 turns into the next Vista, then we "whiners" will have an indirect role in deciding what Windows 9 looks like.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edited by Calum

I agree with .fahim.

According to Microsoft the Apps and titles are the future - plus total integration between phone en desktop.

I think this will not go away and when you don't like it... just switch indeed to another platform.

There's always a Mac or maybe Ubuntu of another distro.

Maybe Windows 9 will be more smoothend and better choices will be made on OS-level between staying in the Metro interface or Desktop experience - and not the constant switching. Maybe a service pack of Windows 8 will bring this functionality.

Who knows...?!

• Like 2

I think we can expect to see small incremental upgrades that will improve the overall experience - as this is the normal practice in the smartphone/tablet world

I tried the RTM yesterday evening and I have to say this is the worst thing Microsoft have ever done by far. There is no reason at all for me to upgrade to this. I mean really what new features are there? A new UI on Explorer? Task Manager? Metro? Is that all? This OS is a total joke.

This OS feels like Microsoft throwing us under the bus (pre-existing users of Windows) to try and get in to the tablet market. Leveraging their desktop monopoly to give developers incentive to make Metro apps because they know that without that large desktop market share developers will find it difficult to find reasons to invest in making Metro apps. Why develop for a tablet that will only capture 1 maybe 2% of the market?

And well on the desktop it just sucks. It doesn't work man, giant UI buttons, 2D boxes, removal of the start menu. We use keyboards and mice on our desktops not fat fingers. This whole UI just doesn't work and it feels unfinished, half baked, confused about what it is. The fact it has two separate environments for a start just adds an extra layer of complexity to an already confused operating system.

I really fail to understand how Microsoft ever thought this was a good idea. I mean really.. who is running things over there?

"Hey guys I got a great idea, let's take the UI that hasn't got even garnered 2% share on mobile after a year in the market and put it on our main Windows product! Nothing could go wrong with that! - Also lets spend practically all our time porting that UI over and offer almost no other new features - No Time Machine, iTunes or iCloud competitor, no one needs those anyways what they need is giant boxes and an extra toolbox in Explorer!"

Dude, come on. You're on your total right to express your dislike and even hate on the OS, but you're letting the hate cloud your memory and/or judgement. While I have no idea as to whether Microsoft plans to compete with Time Machine, it sure does offer Xbox Music and Skydrive as their answer to iTunes (sans apps) and iCloud. I have no hate for any OS and I have used both iCloud and Skydrive. Both seem great to me, however Skydrive had a nice idea of offering a free upgrade to a 25GB account for Windows Phone users.

Just finished re installing Windows 7 on my laptop.. Ahh feels much better :) I press start and I don't go away from what I'm looking at online :) Just a small menu shows and I can click on what ever I need to bring up with it no problem.. IMO much better user experience

My dad just happens to be the head janitor at Microsoft and he told me that Windows 9 is actually going to be released the same day as Windows 8 and have the UI of Windows 3.11, so those who don't like Win8 have another option.

Your dad has been sniffing Ballmer's bath salts again..

People are saying that Microsoft will fix this in Windows 9 like they fixed Vista in Windows 7, and acting as though this will free them from the 'clutches' of Metro.

In Windows 7 there wasn't a single feature from Vista taken away, just the whole thing made lighter and tighter. This to me would say that Metro isn't going to go away.

So if you hate it that much, time to sweat Windows 7 for as long as it will last you and then move to a different platform.

And good riddance to you...

This is actually the case for me.

It feels good that I don't have to think about upgrading for once.

Windows 8 just doesn't work on the Desktop, anyone saying it does just wants to believe.

• Like 2

Just finished re installing Windows 7 on my laptop.. Ahh feels much better :) I press start and I don't go away from what I'm looking at online :) Just a small menu shows and I can click on what ever I need to bring up with it no problem.. IMO much better user experience

Well good for you <snipped>. But going back to 1995 is a Wast of time because doing so your missing out on all the improvements 2012 has to Offer and i will post them for you from another users

new features well to start with

- Start screen, easier and more organized view of your favorite pinned apps (don't compare it to all apps, that's another layer in). With the ability to sort your apps into named groups.

- Metro apps and -

- App store

- New task manager

- Overall far better performance.

- better function for detecting new apps that can open file types

- updated graphics driver model, now you get DWM(aero) even in software/classic mode

- Far improved Multi monitor support

- New restore functions, enabling a full reset to factory standards on all installations with no fuss.

- Live accoutn and cloud features built in.

- Sync your desktop across computers/devices

- Storage spaces

- faster boot time.

And much more.

So many things more you will miss out on . Sorry to Hear <snipped> that you had Trouble copping with Change and new technologies and things related to it but i guess the Future is not for your <snipped> mind.

This is actually the case for me.

It feels good that I don't have to think about upgrading for once.

Windows 8 just doesn't work on the Desktop, anyone saying it does just wants to believe.

It doesn't work for you on the Desktop cause your still stuck on the logon Boot screen trying to figure out how to log in to your system . Took me all of 3 sec to figure that out and took me all of 3 mins to figure Metro out and how to multi-task with it and how to name groups of apps and icons and all that very simple and works very well for K/M despite what you think

Edited by Calum
Please don't use that name to refer to people. Be polite.
  • Like 2

I am actually warming to the OS. With a few visual tweaks it ends up being a faster version of Windows 7. Performance is the major factor for me and the OS is so smooth. I could find a way to use the Metro apps, it's just a case of getting used to it. More Apps of a higher quality will likely be created because developers would see Windows 8 as being a large platform (whereas Windows Phone 7 isn't really that big).

<snipped>

Edited by Calum
I realise that was in jest, but it could be considered unintentional flamebait.

Win7 made me migrate to Mac OSX. I couldn't be happier.

Stop being harsh on yourself!

By the way, why does it say "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Windows 8 RTM control panel?

• Like 2

As much as I personally can't stand Windows 8, I do see where this is headed. I will most likely be skipping Windows 8 (There's a remote possibility I'll install it on a machine to fiddle around with) but I feel like this was a necessary stepping stone to bigger and better things down the road.

The way I'm looking at this isn't that it's a failure for Microsoft. In order for Microsoft to get from here (Windows 7) to there (Windows ??), Windows 8 was necessary. I think that because Windows 7 was so successful, they're willing to risk another Windows ME until they get to what's coming next for Windows. This is a bridge they're building and Windows 8 is just the framework. Support beams if you will. Windows 9 will most likely be the concrete and beyond that 10 probably the lights and painted lines.

Either way, with the competition eating them up they have to start somewhere. Ironically, Windows 8 is that start (even though they removed the Start menu haha). ;)

I think if they can pull off a lot of what they're trying to achieve by streamlining the PC, tablets and phones into one OS by Windows 9 or 10, this will all have been worth it as they'll have a triple-threat OS that will bring us to a new future in technology. One where it doesn't matter what device you're using, you'll be able to utilize a fully featured OS on pretty much anything. Just how I'm seeing the bigger picture here. I'm sure not everyone agrees :)

• Like 2

Win8 was designed around a computer paradigm shift, not previous versions of windows. Wait until it launches with touchscreen ultrabooks and then see how you feel about the OS.

Agreed on current hardware it offers nothing more than Win7 can.

• Like 2

Thread thoroughly cleaned

Some of the responses here were despicable!

The Neowin Forums are a set of forums?they exist for people to post their opinions, within the rules. If you don't agree with an opinion, feel free to politely disagree in your post, but please do not post such inconsiderate comments as "no one cares what you think," "oh no, not another anti-Windows 8 thread" etc. The Windows Discussion & Support forum exists for people to either ask for help or discuss Windows. It is expected that people will create threads to discuss their views on Windows in general or a specific Windows issue. Yes, it could well be that we should merge some of these threads into one Windows 8-centered discussion, but if you feel that way, please report the thread and suggest a merge; please do not post your annoyance at seeing another anti/pro-Windows 8 thread in the topic itself.

If you're irritated at seeing opposition to or support for Windows 8, please don't post in an inconsiderate manner about that annoyance, and please don't post if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

Thank you for you cooperation

• Like 3