Photo

Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

• Please log in to reply
793 replies to this topic

#91 Jason_Coffey

Jason_Coffey

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:58

Windows 8 will go down as the biggest fail in the tech world.

#92 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:59

especially when it shoves the touch orientated startscreen down desktop users' throats.

People tend to complain both ways.

Had MS skipped the touch functionality, the same folks would scream about Apple's superiority and how it is light years away when it comes to touch.

And I expect to use my desktop with touch capabilities in the near future. So MS is just being pro-active here as they've already embedded this tech into their OS before the manufacturers could come up with such screens on large scale.

#93 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:02

Also lets spend practically all our time porting that UI over and offer almost no other new features - No Time Machine, iTunes or iCloud competitor, no one needs those anyways what they need is giant boxes and an extra toolbox in Explorer!"

When slagging something off, it usually helps to actually know what you're talking about. You clearly don't, so I suggest you do some reading.

#94 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:03

Do people really want touch on desktop screens though? Of course on a tablet / mobile device it's essential - but in terms of using my PC I find the keyboard and mouse a powerful and comfortable way of interacting. I don't feel the urge to reach across the desk and start wiping my fingers across the screen.. it'll make it messy and it'll be uncomfortable.

#95 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:03

I remember this argument the first time around... When Microsoft did away with program groups and forced everyone to use this stupid icon in the lower left corner that said Start. I've been using the release preview and I have no issues at all with Metro. I didn't use the start button much anymore and I'm glad it's gone to be honest. Business will adopt it, programmers will write applications for it, and the world will move on. With or without those who dislike it. Change is inevitable, and people tend to resist it.

#96 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:05

Do people really want touch on desktop screens though? Of course on a tablet / mobile device it's essential - but in terms of using my PC I find the keyboard and mouse a powerful and comfortable way of interacting. I don't feel the urge to reach across the desk and start wiping my fingers across the screen.. it'll make it messy and it'll be uncomfortable.

I'd like an OS that's portable and desktopable without being two separate OSes (e.g. iOS and OSX)... the touch part isn't important, but you have to go with the lowest common denominator UI if that's how you're going to use the OS.

#97 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:13

Maybe not on your desktop screen per se, but when your whole table becomes your desktop...I wouldn't say no to a toy like this and I'm patiently waiting for the moment when the manufactures catch up! :D The software to run this thing is already here!

Posted Image

#98 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:17

You've been using WIndows for 20 years and you dont know Alt+Tab or Win+Tab?

Note that the complaints are *entirely* aesthetics/comfort-driven. It's not about backward-compatibility, or even usability. It's that it's not Windows 7 Service Pack 2.

They would rather have seen WindowsRT try (and fail) to justify itself all alone against Android and iOS (and the failure would be for obvious reasons), but they really don't care. They would rather see Microsoft (and Windows) lost marketshare to Android as opposed to actually rising to meet the challenge of Android.

Aren't these also a LOT of the same folks that have complained that things are *meh* as far as operating systems, applications, games, and whatnot? So what happens when Microsoft actually gets a clue and changes things? "You changed - therefore I'll stand pat."

Sheesh.

#99 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:18

Sounds like a disgruntled windows user. I heard 2013 will be the year of the Linux. See you there!

I can play my games, like Diablo 3, Skyrim, and Battlefield 3 on Linux now? Yikes, sign me up!

#100 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:25

something happened to me when i installed the RTM, the graphics drivers hadn't been installed so the resolution wasn't very high, and while i was downloading updated drivers I tried out the music app and it said it didn't support low resolutions and wouldn't start.... i suppose its not a big deal, i just found it odd they'd put a limit on it...

completely off topic I see that the next version of android will have multi-user and even android 4.1 has safe mode ha... if they made support for desktop architecture it would be fun to try out, been so customizable and all :)

agree with you completely, we who don't like are attacked for some reason by those who do. It's like they're afraid it will fail or somethin :p , i'll be skipping it too (first time i've ever skipped one) and this is coming from someone used Windows ME for a full year lol ...

... oh and its not that we can't use it, we can use it fine, its that we don't like it....

And yet Android has every feature you loathe about Windows 8 (but also lacks the backward-compatibility that has you hanging on to Windows 7 for dear life) so why Android as opposed to Windows 8, huh?

#101 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:27

I have a question: is it possible to turn of the tiles/metro or whatever it is called and just use the regular desktop? I can see the benefits when using a tablet but it is not with a desktop.

#102 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:28

Had MS skipped the touch functionality, the same folks would scream about Apple's superiority and how it is light years away when it comes to touch.

There was nothing stopping Microsoft forking Windows and making a touch orientated version a la iOS. Apple did it. Or they could have just used the Windows Phone 7 code base. There's no excuse for forcing this on everyone.

#103 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:34

Maybe not on your desktop screen per se, but when your whole table becomes your desktop...I wouldn't say no to a toy like this and I'm patiently waiting for the moment when the manufactures catch up! :D The software to run this thing is already here!

It's going to be a long time before ordinary consumers will be able to afford something like that. LCD screens are still way too expensive. Imagine the price of one the size of a desk? And even then, who's going to want to bend their neck for hours? Or get limp arms trying to reach across the whole desk constantly. Ι'm not saying something like that won't happen, but ergonomically and financially, it's no where near practical at the moment or in half a decade.

#104 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:40

When slagging something off, it usually helps to actually know what you're talking about. You clearly don't, so I suggest you do some reading.

Threads like this are kind of embarassing for an enthusiast tech site. MS has no iCloud competitor (info: Apple was actually the last one to introduce their cloud-solution while MS has been one of the front-runners and will integrate it more deeply in W8)? I suddenly can't change between windows/tabs anymore with W8 (the desktop is exactly the same)? Metro is useless for desktop users but then ask for apps and features that will be delivered via announced Metro apps? What the hell is going on here, criticising is one thing and a few people make sensible points, spending no effort whatsoever to educate oneself on the other hand...

#105 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:41

oh that's the improved Os system, back to keystrokes. kinda MS-DOS like isn't it?

You must have not used Server 08, 12 or Exchange/SharePoint 2010. PowerShell itself is moving us toward command line controls.