Photo

Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

• Please log in to reply
793 replies to this topic

#121 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:38

Windows 8, talk about a frustrating experience. The task manager is very nice. navigationally, the OS is worse than unity's first implementation. Glad others are having problems & annoyances like I have discovered. My return key stopped working and my uptime is still under 10 minutes. #MSFail You are giving me 30 days to activate? I think that's like 29 too long

#122 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:49

Ahahaha how many times will this come up? You whiners just can't stand a small amount of change. Windows 8 works just like Windows 7 in desktop mode but has many nice improvements such as the ribbon in explorer, new copy dialog, and much better task manager. Another cool feature is starting a file copy on WiFi then realizing you want to plug in to make it go faster. Once you plug the ethernet in Windows 8 will automatically start copying over that instead. Just treat the start screen as a full screen start menu and only pin desktop programs on it and it will work JUST LIKE Windows 7 worked. Whine whine whine.

Windows 8, talk about a frustrating experience. The task manager is very nice. navigationally, the OS is worse than unity's first implementation. Glad others are having problems & annoyances like I have discovered. My return key stopped working and my uptime is still under 10 minutes. #MSFail You are giving me 30 days to activate? I think that's like 29 too long

Less than 10 minutes of use will NOT give you an accurate impression of the OS. And it's not the OS's fault that your return key stopped working.

I need to stop coming into these threads, just a bunch of whiners afraid of making the start menu full screen.

#123 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:54

I don't like Metro, but am finally used to it. Win8 RP runs the games I play a lot better then Win7 ever did. If the final product still plays well with my games, I will def be using it. If not, back to Win7 I go.

#124 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:58

Its usability depends on the application at hand and there are already affordable desktop screens out there with touch functionality.

Posted Image

Of course that thing won't cause a neck strain like crazy after using it for any prolonged period of time... Yeah, sure looks practical! /s

Except for a multi-touch trackpad I have yet to see an implementation that actually makes sense on the desktop. With that I mean a viable, affordable, comfortable and currently available solution. Not something depicted in a futuristic promotion video about what life could be like in thirty years.

#125 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:58

Ahahaha how many times will this come up? You whiners just can't stand a small amount of change. Windows 8 works just like Windows 7 in desktop mode but has many nice improvements such as the ribbon in explorer, new copy dialog, and much better task manager. Another cool feature is starting a file copy on WiFi then realizing you want to plug in to make it go faster. Once you plug the ethernet in Windows 8 will automatically start copying over that instead. Just treat the start screen as a full screen start menu and only pin desktop programs on it and it will work JUST LIKE Windows 7 worked. Whine whine whine.

Less than 10 minutes of use will NOT give you an accurate impression of the OS. And it's not the OS's fault that your return key stopped working.

I need to stop coming into these threads, just a bunch of whiners afraid of making the start menu full screen.

It's hard to take your post seriously when, despite a number of people making valid and informative points about why they're not keen on the product, you're willing to summarily dismiss them as "whiners". It's this level of arrogance from a number of members on here which really gets my back up.

So you know everything about the people you just dismissed as whiners? Do you think they're all more stupid than you? Less technical? Unable to use a computer properly? What exactly makes you the position of authority on who is worthy of being able to criticise the product.

#126 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:00

Of course that thing won't cause a neck strain after using it for any prolonged period of time...

No more than working with a laptop would.

#127 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:13

No. You can rest your arms on your desk or laptop surface. With that thing you'll need to hold your arms up causing strain in your neck and arms.

#128 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:14

Actually it does. A notebook has a vertical screen which means you don't have to lower your head as much. You're also able to rest your arms and hands properly on a horizontal surface. Putting the DELL more upright means it becomes less comfortable to touch, putting it flatter it becomes less comfortable to look at. It's a crappy desktop to use all around.

If you want to use multi-touch gestures on the desktop a solution like the Magic Trackpad is the only viable option at this point. Touching the screen of your desktop computer itself just isn't.

#129 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:14

I think "that's it I am staying with Windows 7" is the new "that's it I am moving to canada"? I am yet to see a compelling argument about why Windows 7 is better than Windows 8 besides looks (which is subjective)

Do people really want touch on desktop screens though? Of course on a tablet / mobile device it's essential - but in terms of using my PC I find the keyboard and mouse a powerful and comfortable way of interacting. I don't feel the urge to reach across the desk and start wiping my fingers across the screen.. it'll make it messy and it'll be uncomfortable.

All touch screen features also work with multi-touch track pad in the exact same fashion. You obviously need hardware+drivers that support it. So I guess yes, multi-touch can also work on a desktop with or without a touch screen. It's there if you want it but you don't have to use.

#130 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:15

It's hard to take your post seriously when, despite a number of people making valid and informative points about why they're not keen on the product, you're willing to summarily dismiss them as "whiners". It's this level of [i]arrogance[/b] from a number of members on here which really gets my back up.

So you know everything about the people you just dismissed as whiners? Do you think they're all more stupid than you? Less technical? Unable to use a computer properly? What exactly makes you the position of authority on who is worthy of being able to criticise the product.

For me, the only naysayers that I classify as whiners, are those that have a go at Windows 8 having clearly never actually used it.

I'm not really a naysayer, but I'm not a fan either. It's just something new to get used to, really.

#131 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:16

No. You can rest your arms on your desk or laptop surface. With that thing you'll need to hold your arms up causing strain in your neck and arms.

Laptops on a desk are a serious ergonomic disaster. I'd know because I had to give up for few months because of a neck injury.

#132 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:19

Laptops on a desk are a serious ergonomic disaster. I'd know because I had to give up for few months because of a neck injury.

Yes, they (like anything) are if you're not positioned correctly.

What I'm saying is that is near impossible to position yourself correctly for that Dell Touchscreen thing above.

#133 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:20

What's really sad is the most of you complaining are supposedly geeks or at least people who work on computers for a living, you should be the last person complaining about any changes in the OS, especially Mr I have used Windows for 20 years but don't know how to Alt+Tab, you all are acting like those overentitled customers we've all had that act as if the world revolves around them and not acting like a true geek, who would just get over it and drive on

#134 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:42

Sadly the IT community is like that.

My brother is a well paid IT professional and yet he still insists on turning UAC and Windows Updates off.

#135 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:46

Sadly the IT community is like that.

My brother is a well paid IT professional and yet he still insists on turning UAC and Windows Updates off.

Because you actually don't need them if you know what you're doing.