Outlook.com is out! Now ask the Outlook.com team your questions!

Is there a way to selectively hide some of the folders. I really don't need to see (in bold) how many emails are in the junk folder. I like that gmail allows me to show some folders (or just ones with unread mail) or hide them from the tree view.

Also, those colour choices are awfully bright as is a huge screen of pure white. While i doubt it's going to be the case, a colour wheel choice for the header and main body would be nice and cut down on some serious white eyestrain.

I created several Outlook accounts (to reserve different addresses) before I knew about the 'alias' feature. Is there a way to turn those other 'full' accounts into aliases instead, rather than having to link them all together?

Thanks.

Well I created my hotmail account back when I was in middle school. I have my xbox and everything micrsoft related attached to that email. The biggest problem I have now is that my username is horrible due to an oversight on my part when I was younger. I would never want to use it in a business setting. So I have gone and registed my full name "full-name"@outlook.com. I currently own an Android phone and I use gmail as I primary email account. By this November I expect to be have a Windows Phone 8 (as my verizon phone contract is up), Windows 8 (Desktop) and a Windows Surface Pro (For Me - when it comes out) & Windows Surfact RTM (For my Fiance). So you can start to get a picture of the issue that I have. I want to A) Get my xbox gamertag to link over to my new "full-name"@outlook.com email adress without losing anything. B) Import all of my GMAIL emails, contacts, & calendar and C) Not have to pull out my hair about the process, being told that it can't be done or being presented with some error that makes no sense. If you can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it and my switch to all Microsoft products will be a success that I can brag about when I show all my friends & colleagues my new toys. Thanks so much for all your help, which I'm hoping will come!!! Pretty please!

P.S. The outlook interface is so clean and awesome! I love it and everyone who I have told to check it out thinks the same. Good work on making email just plain easier and functional.

I'd have to echo IMAP support and some sort of transfer feature so I can take advantage of the 25GB Skydrive capacity I have on my @live.com account.

Other than that I must say outlook.com is fantastic!

1. Why cant we have a name for each alias instead of using the primary name. That defeats the whole purpose having an alias!!

2. Email settings page could be better organised/ metrofied and not just plain text.

3. Under what name are all these cloud services (outlook, people, messenger, calendar, skydrive(photos, docs, storage)) etc going to be.

4. One thing you guys / microsoft cant get right is branding things!

Im liking microsofts cloud serviceses so my much specially outlook.com as of now im in a process of switching from googles cloud serviceses.

1) Any plans to support IMAP?

2) Photos in contacts

3) Custom fields in contacts

4) More than 3 e-mail in contcts

5) Opening messages in new windows. I often need to compare 2 or more messages or copy some information from one message to another, and outlook.com doesen't allow to open more than 1 message. I have to open second browser window, type outlook.com and select message. Or just look at the past message when I starting a new one. Is it so hard to implement this or you guys with Win8 team are stuck in 70's with lack of multitasking?

6) Any plans to release a new e-mail client for Windows 7 without metro interface (I know that you love it, but you should keep UI constant inside one version of OS)

7) Can you add more contrast to folder list? I barely can see grey captions on light gray background. It's hard to use.

8) New calendar?

9) Please rewrite contacts|people - they are horrible. I know that you are stuck to Outlook field structure, but even Outlook 2000 allows more fields.

10) Set prority for e-mail

#2 is already there. (I believe so)

I want to know if some of the features of outlook.com are going to make their way to the win8 app (and other apps in general)... specifically the flagging of messages and categories.

This might not be directly for the outlook team but when/if is ms going to actually integrate Skype with the ms account.... so we don't need 2 accounts (one for outlook/live/Hotmail and a separate one for Skype)

I need to know what happened to auto-login?

Power users should have something like 'live assistant' thingy that allowed auto-login.

It is very difficult to switch from account to account when passwords are very long.

Is auto-login, or something similar, going to come back to outlook.com; I would like a login feature like gmail.

First, thanks to the Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com team for creating such a terrific Web mail experience. The new interface is a pleasure to use.

My question is this: why can't my two sons (ages 9 and 14) connect to Outlook.com? At this time, whenever we try to connect to Outlook.com using their credentials we are redirected to Hotmail.

Is this because we are also using Windows Family Safety (in Windows 8) to monitor their accounts?

If so, when will it be possible for them to stop using Hotmail and begin using Outlook.com?

This has actually been frustrating for my older son, who thinks the new service is cool.

Please advise, thanks!

Is there any chance that an option could be added in for a little more granularity could be added for managing aliases? Specifically, if someone has utilized the option to rename their Live account to an Outlook.com account is there any way there could be an option to NOT show the old account to send messages from, but still receive messages sent to that account.

Thanks!

Here is a blunt question for you from a web developer. How is the email CSS support on Outlook.com? And how is the email CSS support in the next version of Outlook? Do you realize that Microsoft's email clients are sole ****ing reason that web developers have to code HTML emails like it is 1999? That developers can't use CSS in their emails that even IE5.5 supported, like background images? That developers have to do things like use 1x1 transparent GIF images for spacing because Outlook with its piece of **** Word rendering engine doesn't support padding, while Hotmail for no reason whatsoever does not support margins? Or excuse me ? 10x10 transparent GIFs ? because another quirk ? I believe quirk #2,094,903,234,598 ? that Outlook 2007/2010 have. I would really love an answer.

I need to know what happened to auto-login?

Power users should have something like 'live assistant' thingy that allowed auto-login.

It is very difficult to switch from account to account when passwords are very long.

Is auto-login, or something similar, going to come back to outlook.com; I would like a login feature like gmail.

why don't you just link those accounts and switch using the user menu?

Hello,

1) I created some aliases via the "More Mail Settings" link, which worked great. However, deleting some aliases and then trying to create new ones gave an error message "You've added the maximum number of email addresses right now (we have a limit to help keep your account information safe). Please try again later."

Even though I deleted some of my aliases, I am still getting this message. If you could shed some light on this, it would be tremendously appreciated.

Hello,

1) I created some aliases via the "More Mail Settings" link, which worked great. However, deleting some aliases and then trying to create new ones gave an error message "You've added the maximum number of email addresses right now (we have a limit to help keep your account information safe). Please try again later."

Even though I deleted some of my aliases, I am still getting this message. If you could shed some light on this, it would be tremendously appreciated.

It doesn't matter if you delete aliases to make more or not - you still need to wait 1 year :(

This is a personal request and probably really trivial. :laugh: Please please get rid of the new emoticons, they are ugly as hell and look really bad (not really metro-ey too). I hope you bring back the emoticons from the "MSN Messenger" era but if not that, the ones currently in Windows Live Messenger or the now-old Hotmail once will be ok too.

It doesn't matter if you delete aliases to make more or not - you still need to wait 1 year :(

Just wondering, why do people need that many aliases anyway? Note that is not meant to bash those who wish for more number of aliases or less waiting time for new ones. I'm just curious why 5 aliases + the main e-mail address isn't enough.

Will there be any window layout options such as allowing users to shrink the menu text, ideally creating a bigger reading panel whilst keeping everything there. I only really feel the screen is crowded on my laptop.

Interface is just fantastic. Loving it. :D :woot: :D

I dont have question rather request,

• More support and direct integration of Office web apps so that One can create office documents and send them too. The present setup do seems to allow edit of attachment having office files.
  • Ability to preview as many file as possible in attachment bar. At present it just gives a preview of images, Docs / PDFs are not been shown as preview, rather just attachment icon.
  • Any chance to find IMAP being enables with Outlook.com
  • Can we have service like Google Apps where you can host your own domains emails and web apps with Outlook.com ?

Keep up the development for this interface, do add more and more feature but without cluttering the interface. Bring all the goods regardless of makers to it, support as much 3rd party features are possible, If this thing can be handled properly, you do have a gmail killer in your hand.

Just wondering, why do people need that many aliases anyway? Note that is not meant to bash those who wish for more number of aliases or less waiting time for new ones. I'm just curious why 5 aliases + the main e-mail address isn't enough.

idk, for me it's just the idea of "OMG, I MUST MAKE SURE THIS IS THE ALIAS I WANT. IF I DON'T GET THIS RIGHT I WONT BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT FOR 360 DAYS!" that gets me scared O.O

1. Why cant we have a name for each alias instead of using the primary name. That defeats the whole purpose having an alias!!

I agree

OH, another thing: where was the outlook.com team pulled from? is it really just the Hotmail team, or did you bring in more people/take from other departments?

Hello,

a couple of questions:

1. When will all products (Skydrive, Calendar, etc.) get the new interface?

2. Why does the Inbox always makes you click a message to read it when the Reading pane is off? Really annoying. It would be great to automatically switch to the next message when for example you read one and deleted it. Now the interface switches to the Inbox again and I have to click over and over again. :x

3. Why there is 270 days for reserving a username - I accidentally created a new username which I wanted but then saw the 'Switch to Outlook' option and now I cannot use it. Why not make the names of deleted accounts by an user - immediately available? :(

Thanks! :)

my big billion dollar question....

will there be a dark theme????

I really, really love the new look... and the blazing, seamless speed of the service!

I would like to know if you're considering doing an expanded list view. I basically mean a view of the inbox or folders, where each item is maybe double in height and contain more information about each mail. It could fx contain:

- Image of the person you've been writing with

- A line or two of the latest mail in the conversation

- The current information shown in the single-line list items