Photo

Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:14

Now, shortly after a forum user leaked details about the development kit of Microsoft's "Durango," we have the first unofficial-official confirmation of the console from the company itself. Speaking to The Verge, Windows Live General Manager Brian Hall mentioned "the new Xbox" in a list of upcoming Microsoft products.

While this may not be the most shocking revelation, it is the first time a Microsoft employee has mentioned the Durango, or Xbox 720, on record. Hall did not confirm any details about the Xbox 720, though he did imply that the console may be hitting shelves by the end of the year. Specifically, he grouped the Xbox in with other products set to launch before 2013; speaking about the updated Outlook.com, Hall said that Microsoft is releasing it to coincide with "the new wave of products," including Windows 8, Office 15, the next generation of Windows Phones, and the aforementioned Xbox.

More at The Escapist http://www.escapistm...its-to-Xbox-720

I have doubts because of there being any killer launch titles such as Halo when Halo 4 is just about to launch on the 360, Forza just being recently launched.. But if rumours are true it would be a killer blow to Nintendo and Sony.

#2 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:18

It would be incredibly powerful to see a new xbox launch around the time of Win8, WP8, Surface...but I dont see it happening. I dont think will see a new xbox any earlier then next year more likely 2014.

#3 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:19

More at The Escapist http://www.escapistm...its-to-Xbox-720

I have doubts because of there being any killer launch titles such as Halo when Halo 4 is just about to launch on the 360, Forza just being recently launched.. But if rumours are true it would be a killer blow to Nintendo and Sony.

I think he meant the new Xbox UI. The next Xbox will NOT be launching this year.

#4 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:21

No way will they be launching the new hardware XBOX at any point this year.
He's simple referring to the XBOX Dashboard Autumn (Fall) update.

#5 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 August 2012 - 13:00

It's the new dashboard UI (which i'm liking btw), I however expect the new Xbox for holiday 2013 and not in 2014. The 360 is more or less done, they'll do what they can with the few exclusives it's got in the first half of 2013 but that's it. After this they'll probably give it a nice price cut and sell it as a $99 media hub and casual gaming device I bet. Also depending in the specs and abilities the next Xbox could retail for $399, that's with a Kinect 2 device as well.

#6 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 07 August 2012 - 22:36

If they actually name it Xbox 720 I'm done with Microsoft.

#7 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:14

No kidding! If they name it that, I'm just gonna do a 720º turn and walk away!!! :angry:

/s

#8 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:23

I don't get the reasoning behind the (fan created) name "Xbox 720"

It's twice as much as a 360? It can do 720p? etc.

#9 GuJu

GuJu

Neowinian Astronomer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:32

MSFT lawl.

#10 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:45

I sort of wish they would just drop the name XBox completely, come up with something fresh and original.

#11 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:57

Xbox is the brand though, theres no way they would dump the name at this point.

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:03

No way will they be launching the new hardware XBOX at any point this year.
He's simple referring to the XBOX Dashboard Autumn (Fall) update.

This.

Even if Microsoft had confirmed a follow up to the X360 it's meaningless without specs, screenshots of upcoming games or a launch date. Obviously Microsoft is working on it but don't expect it for at least another year.

#13 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:14

I would argue that it is the wrong time entirely for Microsoft or Sony to release a new console. 1080p's reign is about to end, 4k's is about to start. It’s better for all of us who will be spending a lot of money on next gen consoles for both of them to wait until 4k is here, and video tech is slightly more advanced and able to support it for cheaper.

Only Nintendo could get away with releasing a new console at this point in time, because no one expects them to ‘look great’ on current tech anyway, let alone next gen.

#14 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:15

I don't get the reasoning behind the (fan created) name "Xbox 720"

How do you not get it? 360 degrees is a complete circle (or revolution). Another revolution would be another 360 degrees otherwise known as 720 degrees.

#15 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:18

How do you not get it? 360 degrees is a complete circle (or revolution). Another revolution would be another 360 degrees otherwise known as 720 degrees.

As a name that is unoriginal and really dumb though. I seriously doubt they will name it 720, and since they are renaming Metro maybe they can come up with an interesting name shared by both since the 360 is now using that interface and the next one probably will too (unless Metro fails spectacularly).

I would argue that it is the wrong time entirely for Microsoft or Sony to release a new console. 1080p's reign is about to end, 4k's is about to start.

I highly doubt that. Not everyone even has an HDTV at all yet, and there's no way that they are just going to make Blu-Ray and all the technology we have now based on 720/1080p obsolete. On a home sized television it would be completely pointless to go higher. 4k TVs will flop harder than 3DTV.