windows 8 mkv

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#46 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:42

modern apps use mediafoundation not directshow. all the old codecs are directshow. if there are MF codecs then they will work in modern. and btw windows 8 enterprise doesnt include media foundation,so no media apps work

#47 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:17

modern apps use mediafoundation not directshow. all the old codecs are directshow. if there are MF codecs then they will work in modern. and btw windows 8 enterprise doesnt include media foundation,so no media apps work

Really? Now that's something I didn't expect, you would think Enterprise version would have everything in it the other ones have.

#48 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:20

huh, that seems weird!

#49 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:02

Really? Now that's something I didn't expect, you would think Enterprise version would have everything in it the other ones have.

I guess there's no such thing as a media industry! :p

#50 lol51312

lol51312

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:09

Install Codec pack :D

#51 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:10

Install Codec pack :D

Please read the thread first. DirectShow codecs do not work with the Xbox Video app. :)

#52 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:10

Try LAV Filters.

#53 Mackster

Mackster

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:33

Was able to play a mp4 with h.264 stream, high profile 3.1, ac3 5.1 track, in the Metro video player. However, no artwork, no subtitle. If that could work as well, or if someone knows how to make it work without installing third party stuff... then most of my media issues on Windows are solved.

#54 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 18:35

I expect the easy way to get videos to work will be using some custom conversion tool for now. I remember people did/do the same to get mkvs to work with things like the Xbox 360 etc without having to use a 3rd party media server app.

#55 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 August 2012 - 19:15

I expect the easy way to get videos to work will be using some custom conversion tool for now. I remember people did/do the same to get mkvs to work with things like the Xbox 360 etc without having to use a 3rd party media server app.

nah, they'll be an mkv parser soon enough. not that hard. i would do it if i gave a flying bleep about mkv. just wait for it,the passionate mkv guys will have it for you.

#56 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 19:29

nah, they'll be an mkv parser soon enough. not that hard. i would do it if i gave a flying bleep about mkv. just wait for it,the passionate mkv guys will have it for you.

That's interesting, I honestly don't know much about the difference between media foundation compared to the old direct show and if you can even do the same stuff or if you're forced to write your own app (like VLC for example) if you want all that stuff on the winrt side.

#57 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 August 2012 - 19:36

Try LAV Filters.

That won't solve the problem, but I'm amazed everyone here still uses Haali splitter, swap to LAV filters. A lot better than outdated Haali splitter. Head to Doom9 to read more.

#58 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 19:42

Reading a bit more about Media Foundation etc, it seems that all we'd really need is for people to port their directshow filters into Media Foundation Transforms (MFTs). Though again, I dunno if installing these means that the built in Xbox Video/Music apps gain the support or if you'd have to actually write a whole new app.

#59 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:47

Any update on getting default video player to play mkv files?

#60 Kasper Hovgaard

Kasper Hovgaard

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 23 February 2013 - 23:55

I have often been wondering WHY neither Apple nor Microsoft have ever supported ANY of the open source container formats - not even the most successful ones, such as FLAC and Matroska (MKV) although they have both been around for over 10 years, and become some of the most popular media formats during the last 5 years? :iiam:

From a simple logical-commercial perspective this makes no sense at all. It would cost them nothing to support these formats, and it would increase the popularity of their hardware devices and software even more... so WHY don't they support it?

The only logical answer I can come up with is commercial interests.

Apple is a patent/rights owner when it comes to Quicktime codecs and containers just like Microsoft owns all licenses to the WMx formats.
We have the same situation with Sony, Canon or Adobe who have all developed their own codecs and media standards. None of these manufacturers support MKV either.
All of these companies also make a gigantic profit from MPEG 2/4 licenses via the MPEG-LA consort.

They make extra money each time a hardware manufacturer or a commercial software producer launches a product capable of playing these particular formats, or whenever a TV broadcaster is de facto forced to support Apple's or Microsoft's media platforms.

On the other hand, they would make no money from Vorbis, FLAC, VP8 or Dirac - or if either MKV and WebM became de facto media delivery or streaming standards.

That is essentially why I seriously doubt that we will ever see native MKV support on any Apple or Microsoft device. They insist that you should use their standards regardless whether there is a better format or not.