windows 8 mkv

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#76 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:42

Besides, converting MKVs to MP4 using HandBrake is pretty easy and painless.

No it isn't. Every time I've tried, it's been lossy and taken bleedin' ages. It should just be a matter of taking the content from one container and putting it in another, but it's almost never that simple.

MS should just bite the bullet and support the other media containers. I'm fed up with a chunk of my anime collection not playing on my 360 because MS are being petty about it.

#77 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:48

No it isn't. Every time I've tried, it's been lossy and taken bleedin' ages. It should just be a matter of taking the content from one container and putting it in another, but it's almost never that simple.

MS should just bite the bullet and support the other media containers. I'm fed up with a chunk of my anime collection not playing on my 360 because MS are being petty about it.

In all honesty its not up to Microsoft to support your hobby. I came to terms with this years ago, Have you tried any of these methods?
http://www.maximumpc...ontent_consoles

Ive uses TVersity, seemed to be the best one.

#78 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:29

In all honesty its not up to Microsoft to support your hobby. I came to terms with this years ago, Have you tried any of these methods?
http://www.maximumpc...ontent_consoles

Ive uses TVersity, seemed to be the best one.

Tried it, never liked it. In the end I resorted to buying a TV that plays pretty much every media format I've come across, including MKV's. I just dump the files to a memory stick and plug it into my TV's USB port. Seeing as MS can't be bothered to make the 360 be what they want to be, a media hub, I'll let my TV do it instead! :p

Next time I replace the TV, I'll get one with wifi as well, so I don't even have to bother copying to USB.

#79 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:40

Tried it, never liked it. In the end I resorted to buying a TV that plays pretty much every media format I've come across, including MKV's. I just dump the files to a memory stick and plug it into my TV's USB port. Seeing as MS can't be bothered to make the 360 be what they want to be, a media hub, I'll let my TV do it instead! :p

Next time I replace the TV, I'll get one with wifi as well, so I don't even have to bother copying to USB.

Ironically my TV can play MKV's lol only some tho :(

#80 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:45

Ironically my TV can play MKV's lol only some tho :(

Wont be too long before TV can play about any files and access about any online streaming services via wifi. I can even see bluetooth keyboard support added and a browser. They need to give you reasons to upgrade your TV before it breaks ;) This is where the TVs are heading and imo it's a far better option than a console making lot of noise.

#81 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:56

I don't remember any Windows marketing suggesting that pirating videos or playing obscure non-standard video formats would be "easy and painless."

It's that sort of attitude that's exactly the problem - the assumption that anyone using .MKV files must be pirating content. It was the same assumption made about MP3, which is why it took so long for the format to be embraced by the music industry.

Besides, converting MKVs to MP4 using HandBrake is pretty easy and painless.

So the solution is to convert your entire video collection to another format? Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Most TVs and steaming boxes can playback MKV files but Metro can't because of Microsoft's stubbornness and the limitations of Metro. Microsoft needs to stop trying to dictate to consumers what they want and start responding to their needs.

#82 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:06

Its not "being petty" to not build something that's too low down the priority list to afford investing in. That's just life.

#83 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:13

Its not "being petty" to not build something that's too low down the priority list to afford investing in. That's just life.

People like Samsung seem to disagree with you. They took the time to build it into their TV's, after all. But hey, if MS don't actually want to be a proper media hub, that's up to them. They've already shown they like to be restrictive by forcing people to have a Gold account for things like Netflix; something many TV's, Bluray players, and cable/satellite/digibox receivers are quite happy to do.

#84 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:21

It doesn't matter anyway FFM.

The consoles never had any future as media hub because of the noise and extra cost/space required if you are not a gamer.

Smart TV is where the media hub market is heading. Smart TV are still not there but it's moving fast. The TVs will pretty much become big tablets.

#85 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:21

My problem ?

I don't have any problem. It's just that people lose time writing an essay about why mkv support is not important (it's for pirates, mp4 is better, bla bla) while the simple fact is mkv is a popular file container and a self respecting media player should support it out of the box. End of story.

no, END of YOUR story. and "self respecting media player"? why the hell are you personifying an inanimate virtual object?

a lot of people have been saying that mkv is used mostly by pirates (with the mkv format its easy to add subtitles/soft subtitles) and I think you just proved a point. I'm sure you didn't buy those anime you downloaded.

#86 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:24

why the hell are you personifying an inanimate virtual object?

Maybe because you don't make any sense ? Dunno it's hard to have a logical discussion with someone living on another planet.

Anyway i'm done. I don't see the point of discussing with someone who can't even agree than a proper media player needs to support mkv out of the box.

#87 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:28

I didn't realise Microsoft's resources were stretched that thinly.

#88 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:31

Um, no.

I don't remember any Windows marketing suggesting that pirating videos or playing obscure non-standard video formats would be "easy and painless." Besides, converting MKVs to MP4 using HandBrake is pretty easy and painless.

mkv != pirated content. Its a container format. avi and mp4 are also heavily used by pirates, its a ridiculous ad-hominem fallacy to assume anyone playing mkv files has pirated them.

#89 Nas

Nas

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:39

PLEX is your friend. I use it, and it's wonderful... and you don't even have to register!

#90 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:40

If, and this is still a rumor, they come out with two devices for the next gen Xbox, one the Xbox tv and the other the full gaming console then we could see more formats and containers supported. Or, and I expect this to happen, they extend the apis from windows and windows phone over to the next Xbox and offer a real app store. If that happens then the same media players that we see so far for windows 8 and RT can also find their way on the xbox. At that point we can get 3rd part apps that will play mkv and flac and whatever else you can want.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!