windows 8 mkv

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:49

If, and this is still a rumor, they come out with two devices for the next gen Xbox, one the Xbox tv and the other the full gaming console then we could see more formats and containers supported. Or, and I expect this to happen, they extend the apis from windows and windows phone over to the next Xbox and offer a real app store. If that happens then the same media players that we see so far for windows 8 and RT can also find their way on the xbox. At that point we can get 3rd part apps that will play mkv and flac and whatever else you can want.

Even if Microsoft offers an Xbox TV device it will want users to buy approved content and to maintain its relationship with media producers, so it's unlikely that Microsoft will support MKV or FLAC. This isn't an accidental policy based on a lack of resources.

#92 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:54

Even if Microsoft offers an Xbox TV device it will want users to buy approved content and to maintain its relationship with media producers, so it's unlikely that Microsoft will support MKV or FLAC. This isn't an accidental policy based on a lack of resources.

Selling content is one thing but if they have an app store as well their still getting a cut from that to. I don't think they get anything out of the controlled apps they put up on the 360 today or the content that goes through them which is why they keep them behind the gold pay wall. That could all change with a store and a 30% cut from apps.

#93 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:55

They don't support OGM aswell for the same reason, No grand conspiracy.

Hell it took them years to support mp4.

#94 Ravensky

Ravensky

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:31

PLEX - http://www.plexapp.com/

#95 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:06

a lot of people have been saying that mkv is used mostly by pirates (with the mkv format its easy to add subtitles/soft subtitles) and I think you just proved a point. I'm sure you didn't buy those anime you downloaded.

I own DVD's or Blurays for every anime on my HD. I just prefer them on my HD as it's a much more convenient place AND keeps the kids sticky fingers off my discs.

#96 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:09

The Windows 8 fullscreen VLC Media Player should be coming in the next few weeks, just wait till then. It will also be free so don't pay for any app claiming to be from VLC as one has already had to be removed and tricked folk.

#97 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:33

No it isn't. Every time I've tried, it's been lossy and taken bleedin' ages. It should just be a matter of taking the content from one container and putting it in another, but it's almost never that simple.

MS should just bite the bullet and support the other media containers. I'm fed up with a chunk of my anime collection not playing on my 360 because MS are being petty about it.

I own DVD's or Blurays for every anime on my HD. I just prefer them on my HD as it's a much more convenient place AND keeps the kids sticky fingers off my discs.

If you own them on disc why are you doing lossy conversion from container to container?

#98 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:49

If you own them on disc why are you doing lossy conversion from container to container?

Because I don't feel like spending ages re-ripping the bleedin' things? And I'm not doing lossy conversion. I tried that a couple of times to see what kind of job it did, and decided it was crap.

#99 MasterSasuke

MasterSasuke

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:54

It's easier and more convenient to keep them in one place. Plus it serves as a backup for redundancy, should anything happen to the discs.

I'll say this much: I pirate and keeps a massive amount of .mkvs, .avis, and .mp4s.
This is true, but I've paid for and own over ¾ of the media in this "collection".

I have BDs, DVDs, VHSs, etc, of many things I've watched over the years, and keep digital copies of most of it, because things in physical media get lost over time.

Sure, one day hard drives will fail, but that's what backups are for.

#100 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:19

It's easier and more convenient to keep them in one place. Plus it serves as a backup for redundancy, should anything happen to the discs.

I'll say this much: I pirate and keeps a massive amount of .mkvs, .avis, and .mp4s.
This is true, but I've paid for and own over ¾ of the media in this "collection".

I have BDs, DVDs, VHSs, etc, of many things I've watched over the years, and keep digital copies of most of it, because things in physical media get lost over time.

Sure, one day hard drives will fail, but that's what backups are for.

I understand it's more convenient to have movies on HDD, I myself rip my movies to my home server in mp4. What I don't get is people who rip their collection to a format their playback devices don't understand and then complain. People using mkvs either pirated their content or ripped it to a format that can't be played back on their devices. In either case I have no sympathy.

#101 MasterSasuke

MasterSasuke

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:23

Ah, I see your case and point.
No, they really shouldn't be storing it in .mkv if they're going to turn around and complain because they can't handle it.

It plays on all my devices just fine ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

#102 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:30

I understand it's more convenient to have movies on HDD, I myself rip my movies to my home server in mp4. What I don't get is people who rip their collection to a format their playback devices don't understand and then complain. People using mkvs either pirated their content or ripped it to a format that can't be played back on their devices. In either case I have no sympathy.

Or they encoded their videos to MKV before Windows 8 came out and are annoyed to find that Metro apps don't support the format. All my MKV files play perfectly through VLC, my TV (LG 42" LED HDTV) and my media box (Mede8er MED600X3D), yet I don't have the option of using a Metro app to play them back. Is that the end of the world? No, as Metro apps are pretty crappy anyway, but it's still functionality that should be there.

The issue is that Microsoft doesn't support the format when virtually every other manufacturer does.

#103 MasterSasuke

MasterSasuke

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:38

I don't know why you insist on using metro's app for doing it.
Get K-lite, CCCP, or shark's codec pack.
Use VLC!
Give potplayer a try

What is so special about wanting to use metro for this?

#104 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:41

Or they encoded their videos to MKV before Windows 8 came out and are annoyed to find that Metro apps don't support the format. All my MKV files play perfectly through VLC, my TV (LG 42" LED HDTV) and my media box (Mede8er MED600X3D), yet I don't have the option of using a Metro app to play them back. Is that the end of the world? No, as Metro apps are pretty crappy anyway, but it's still functionality that should be there.

The issue is that Microsoft doesn't support the format when virtually every other manufacturer does.

Even before Windows 8, MP4 was natively supported on almost all platforms including MacOS, Windows 7, Android, iDevices, Windows Phone, XBOX and Playstation.

#105 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:43

What is so special about wanting to use metro for this?

Surface RT probably