Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1143 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 09 August 2012 - 13:17

TH06_WINDOWS_8_1167435f.jpg
"I AM BALLMER AND YOU WILL LOVE WINDOWS 8!"

Inspired by the Windows 7 experience thread, which is now unpinned and locked, we have put together a Windows 8 satisfactory poll.

Vote!

Leave your comments below.

Some facts:

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 August 2012 - 19:59

So far been loving it, just need me some more time with it but after the last 2hrs, i can say it's pretty sweet :)

Installed it on 3 systems now, even an older Dell Latitude XT Tablet and that works "good" so far.

#3 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:48

Waiting for a video to see differences between RTM and Release Preview.

#4 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:02

I really like it. I have the Start Screen set up the way I like it, it's fast, all my programs work and I really like the RTM theme. Still haven't come across any "Modern" apps I'd actually want to use on my non-tablet computer. But it's early days.

Something went wrong with the install the first time (upgrade install), and it got stuck in a loop of going into recovery mode, and it saying it was unable to fix the problem. Restored a backup and tried again and it worked (which is why I gave the install 2/5).

#5 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:12

So far, 5/5 on the first 2, compatibility is excellent and the install process is quick and easy, but I only gave 3/5 on the last one as I simply cannot stand the start screen and I think the themes are absolutely horrible

#6 brlmedia

brlmedia

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:31

clean install was painless (the "hi" you see at the end of install is cute) IE10 (metro) is working great. installing all my programs now, data moved back in.

looking forward to playing with it today!

#7 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:42

Has anyone tried doing a Win 7 -> Win 8 upgrade yet? If so, how successful was it?

#8 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:50

4/5
4/5
2/5

The setup was easy enough with only a couple of hiccups which had more to do with the laptop than the OS.

Compatibility is also a 4/5 because anything I tried to install seemed to work without problems. It doesn't get 5/5 because it was impossible for me to test everything for compatibility with the short time that I was using it.

2/5 for the features. It's not because I found features to be missing compared to previous versions of Windows, but rather because while all the features that I would normally use may have been there, I found them very difficult to find.

Providing I can fix up this laptop soon, I may give the Windows 8 trial a go and see how it has improved. I'm pretty sure the above scoring won't change for me though.

#9 danwpe

danwpe

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:53

It feels more complete but some things I'm unsure how they were passed by testing. Things like padding in text boxes in the apps and the title colour staying a near black when using a black window colour. It's a good upgrade from WIndows 7 but it still feels unfinished in areas.

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:55

For the most part pretty happy with it. Speed and compatibility is excellent, so far everything works and pretty quickly at that. Experience wise it needs a bit of polish in a few areas yet, but for a first release that's to be expected. Start screen I'm quickly falling in love with. (Mostly, again needs a few tweaks.) Think the only thing I'm probably not very happy with is the default desktop theme... but then again I pretty much hate the default theme in any OS regardless, waiting for the third party modders to get busy releasing.

#11 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:24

Installation: 5/5 (Installed in <10mins on a non SSD system)
Compatibility: 5/5 no problems whatsoever
Features: 4/5
some of the necessary apps such as Music, Video, Photos, Messaging and Mail still feel unfinished. (for example, the Mail doesn't pick up my custom highlight color)
I like the new start screen customization option, that really makes it look better but they should still provide an easy option for custom backgrounds.
Desktop themes is a hit-miss, I don't really play around with this stuff anymore but the default unfocused windows are difficult to tell apart when they overlap.

#12 soup4you2

soup4you2

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:30

No problems upgrading from windows 7,

I have noticed one annoyance though, The desktop version banner remains. So am i forced to seeing

Windows 8 Enterprise
Build 9200

on the desktop from now on? or is there an easy method to disabling it. It's a legitimate copy that I downloaded from Technet.

#13 iampedro

iampedro

Power User

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:38

I haven't been able to get it to start up on my computer for some reason or initialize the upgrade inside of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.... Any suggestions?

#14 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:42

Get rid of start screen and metro and this would be the best OS MS has released.

#15 CGW-88

CGW-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:47

I just wanted to post this

http://www.theverge....-next-windows-8

Awesome review from a mac user! :) Gives an amazing image of the endless possibilities of next gen UI