Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1142 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Tal Greywolf

Tal Greywolf

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:41

save microsoft from what? go over data cap from live tiles, wtf?? who is forcing you to use the live tiles? unpin or disable live tile. don't know how to do it, use google. utterly clueless....

I have googled it, and I still see network traffic for Store, Bing and others.

So come up with something constructive that counters my experience, or just keep doing the name calling. I do tech support for a living, and probably have far more experience than you in a wider variety of OSes here.

#182 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:42

I think its important that we keep file explorer accessible through the desktop right now. Im all for innovation but right now 'Metro' apps are basic and not something I would consider to be an actual application worthy of getting things done.

The apps are great, if I was using a tablet then they would be all I need but the main difference here is Im using a desktop. Im using a desktop as most people do, as the detailed interface to their tablet device for backups and file management.

Right now, I cant see a touch screen giving me so much control over my systems and applications - the hub of my digital world.

MS shouldn't pull things until they have proved themselves with something else.

One last thing - Im using 8 but omg Im having to move my mouse round the screen so much to get things done and why do photos and other items from the desktop open in the new metro picture viewer, its so limited and takes too many clicks to get back!!!! Ive changed the default program but feel for those who dont realise it can be done.

#183 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:48

I have googled it, and I still see network traffic for Store, Bing and others.

So come up with something constructive that counters my experience, or just keep doing the name calling. I do tech support for a living, and probably have far more experience than you in a wider variety of OSes here.

right... with all your experience you're telling everyone that live tiles will bust your cap. don't want to see store traffic? turn off updates. turn off windows updates while you at it. please tell us which apps are still using traffic if you turned off their live tiles. take a screen shot of whatever program you're using to show us the network traffic and what processes.

#184 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:03

right... with all your experience you're telling everyone that live tiles will bust your cap. don't want to see store traffic? turn off updates. turn off windows updates while you at it. please tell us which apps are still using traffic if you turned off their live tiles. take a screen shot of whatever program you're using to show us the network traffic and what processes.

Well any background traffic runs the risk of busting a data cap. Data caps aren't universal around the world and to assume that they are all huge would be a very big mistake.

Any background traffic can be a problem. It all depends on the user's usage, the cap, and the overage penalties.

You can instruct the user on how to limit the background data use by the OS, but to chastise him as if there is no risk of a live tile, or other background tasks, pushing him over a cap is illogical. Especially since any data use runs the risk of causing a user to exceed a cap and live tiles and background tasks may ever well transmit and/or receive data.

Almost every cap I've seen, and I haven't seen them all, will charge you for an extra GB, at whatever that rate is, even if your overage is only 1KB.

#185 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:09

Again, turn off the lives tiles. I can do it on my wired PC, so can you.

#186 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:17

Well any background traffic runs the risk of busting a data cap. Data caps aren't universal around the world and to assume that they are all huge would be a very big mistake.

Any background traffic can be a problem. It all depends on the user's usage, the cap, and the overage penalties.

You can instruct the user on how to limit the background data use by the OS, but to chastise him as if there is no risk of a live tile, or other background tasks, pushing him over a cap is illogical. Especially since any data use runs the risk of causing a user to exceed a cap and live tiles and background tasks may ever well transmit and/or receive data.

Almost every cap I've seen, and I haven't seen them all, will charge you for an extra GB, at whatever that rate is, even if your overage is only 1KB.

we'll i think we are in agreement, live tiles alone will not bust anybodys cap.

#187 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:58

we'll i think we are in agreement, live tiles alone will not bust anybodys cap.

Yes, I would find it hard that live tiles alone would push a user over their cap, unless it is so small to not be worth considering.

#188 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 19:10

No good. That works only with wireless connections. On a wired link, you do not have that option, by design.

Eh? What a random thing to suggest. Odd that you find it's "by design" too.

#189 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:54

During installation on a Dell XPS L702X I have to physically remove the 2x500GB SATA drives or it will not install on my 128GB SSD "unable to create or locate primary partition". Something about a dislike of GPT formatted HDD's + an SSD from what I have read and supposedly affected Windows 7 although I can install Windows 7 x64 without this issue.

#190 Phacoid

Phacoid

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:55

It's probably done for a reason. I don't quite understand why you formatted them as GPT. From what I have read it is only necessary for drives bigger than 2TB (because MBR is limited that way) but offers no real other advantages in way of performance or usable features. Can you enlighten me on this?

#191 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:15

It's probably done for a reason. I don't quite understand why you formatted them as GPT. From what I have read it is only necessary for drives bigger than 2TB (because MBR is limited that way) but offers no real other advantages in way of performance or usable features. Can you enlighten me on this?

GPT is necessary to create a Windows NT 6.1+ based software RAID. I have the two 500GB SATA disks in RAID 0.

#192 jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:37

Windows 8 sucks. I intalled it, but do not like it at all. It seems to not be able to make up it's mind whether it's a desktop OS, or a tablet OS and ends up doing neither particularly well.

#193 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:25

Windows 8 requires its Firewall service running in order to install / update metro applications - to spit in the face of users who use router firewall or software firewall.

And the metro applications are mostly useless, still.

#194 BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre, Windows 7 Pro, XP Pro SP3

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:50

The experience was great, but sadly I'm already using Start Menu 8.
I'm also fed up royal with inane slogans blaring out at me every time I venture onto the Windows 8 site. Do they ever consult users before designing a new OS?
Pastel colours, toy town graphics and, of course; carefully posed models. Please get them to stop it!

What does,

'Get Windows 8 apps

The more you have, the more you can do'

actually mean?

Otherwise a good effort all round .....

#195 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10

Windows 8 requires its Firewall service running in order to install / update metro applications - to spit in the face of users who use router firewall or software firewall.

And the metro applications are mostly useless, still.

Thing is W8 is future proofed, how is your router going to help you when you have IPv6 enabled or IPv6 tunneling on. or when your UPnP lets something in ? that's right, it doesn't.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!