Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1143 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#196 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:45

Ugh...

Problems with media centre (it would randomly just stop accepting input from my remote). Then for absolutely no reason (made no configuration changes) the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard started to malfunction and it wouldn't pick up my wifi adapter or any USB storage devices I plugged in (the annoying thing is I didn't even make any configuration changes to prompt it). Tried disabling the USB 3.0 ports and falling back to USB 2.0, but after a couple of boots those started malfunctioning in the same way. Tried every tip I saw on the Internet to get them working and none of those worked either. So I put all the settings back the way they were with the aim of booting back into the OS to back up my data and reinstall 7 and hey presto the OS won't boot either, just sticks on a black screen and won't even boot into safe mode. Managed to recover the files I wanted with Acronis, and after restoring my Windows 7 image everything is working properly again.

I've given Windows 8 2 cracks of the whip now and it's failed me both times. It's a buggy, unstable, and frustrating piece of crap.

#197 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 February 2013 - 13:44

The problem is that you never installed the USB filter drivers on your windows 8 install . so the only bug there is user/installer error.

#198 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:46

Completely wrong, I installed them... for both chipsets. In fact it took a week before the devices even started to malfunction. Did you even bother to read my post before jumping to a stupid conclusion?

#199 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:11

I have yet to find one thing to make me want to reinstall Windows 7. I pretty much live in the desktop fulltime and have little reason to go to the modern start menu unless I choose to.

Sure, I had to set Media Player & Desktop picture viewer as default and install Adobe Reader. I made some tiles with Obly Tile, but rarely use them since I'm rarely use the Start menu.

#200 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:54

Completely wrong, I installed them... for both chipsets. In fact it took a week before the devices even started to malfunction. Did you even bother to read my post before jumping to a stupid conclusion?

I did, and I still don't think you installed the filter drivers, because the error you describe, down to the delayed effect, fits perfectly with missing or faulty filter driver. Never mind the fact you never said you installed the filter driver in your post.

#201 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:04

Drivers have nonthing to do with win8 being good or bad, if something doesn't work in win8 but does in win7 it's NOT microsofts fault but the vault of the company responsible for delivering up to date drivers as example nvidia is atleast updating their drivers compared to a lot of other companies...

#202 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:48

I did, and I still don't think you installed the filter drivers, because the error you describe, down to the delayed effect, fits perfectly with missing or faulty filter driver. Never mind the fact you never said you installed the filter driver in your post.

Renesas drivers from here:

http://www.station-d...age/renesas.htm

USB drivers included in Intel chipset software

Next excuse, please.

#203 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:07

Renesas drivers from here:

http://www.station-d...age/renesas.htm

USB drivers included in Intel chipset software

Next excuse, please.

I guess you missed the filter" part of USB Filter Drivers.

#204 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:17

There are no USB filter drivers provided, either on my motherboard's website, on Intel's website, or the page I download my USB 3.0 drivers from. Odd that such a necessary component would be so hard to download, hmm? Also rather strange that I've never needed one on Windows 7.

#205 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:13

you probably did, and it was probably provided by windows update, and whoever provided it to windows update for win7 hasn't bothered to do it for windows 8. filter drivers should be on he motherboard providers website if they ever bothered to provide one.

#206 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 February 2013 - 23:03

I pay very close attention to what gets delivered to me via WU and I have never seen such a driver offered to me, either as a critical update or an optional update. As for motherboard manufacturer's site, if you don't believe me you're welcome to look for yourself, however given that it's an Asus ROG motherboard if I needed it I am sure they'd provide it

http://www.asus.com/...upport_Download

#207 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 February 2013 - 14:22

There are a number of bios updates for your board that say "Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.". You might as well try that.

#208 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 February 2013 - 19:27

I got this at the end of December:

Its an Ultrabook/convertible. Intel i5 @ 1.7Ghz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 13in screen, 10-point touchscreen - built for Windows 8 and it shows. I don't ever want to go back. Could use some more apps, but they'll come as Windows 8 sales keep increasing.

#209 Javik

Javik

Posted 02 February 2013 - 21:44

There are a number of bios updates for your board that say "Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.". You might as well try that.

I'm already running the newest bios available.

#210 Charneowin

Charneowin

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 16:40

Installation: Globally no problem. However, I had some issues while installing languages, as the download of a language could not be completed: I had to re-install Windows 8 to solve this problem. Luckily it was at the begin of installation, so the reinstallation was not a problem.

Speed: Quick startup, quick shutdown. Excellent. Execution of programs are a little faster than Windows 7 so it is positive as well.

Features: Bad. Why?
1) No way to avoid the RT display - I want to go directly to the desktop, why not add an option to choose the environment when starting Windows? It is as if Linux were in front of the desktop!
2) The big squared unicolored icons are absolutely UGLY. I removed them all as I can't see them. And I believe this to be the 1st reason of lack of success for Win8 as it is VISUAL. Do you buy an ugly car, even if it is a good one? No, of course, you are looking for an alternative because the eye wants something as well. Dito for an operating system.
3) Impossible to put the squares as we want to have them organized. There are always 2 extra squares before we can put one under them!
4) Where the hell is the START button?? It is very hard to work without it! As hard as if there were no icons on the screen!
5) Glad that the windows are again opaque (I dislike the Aero feature). But at some places, Aero transparency is still visible, for example on the taskbar!! Forgotten? How is that possible!?
6) Scrollbars and titles are now almost invisible as there is almost no contrast anymore. Where is the time of Windows 2000, when the visual aspect was really EXCELLENT...???
7) And finally, how can we accept this very UNprofessional look that you can see on the picture below? Are the menus redesigned by a child? (because they are outbound from the window!)

Thank you for reading. I am not angry, but disappointed. Some of you as well. Evolution is not always a revolution.

Posted Image