Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1142 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:51

W8 has been my main OS at home since Build in Sept. (desktop kb/m).

It's just a better Windows 7, with a new Start.

Love it.

#47 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:58

I’m back on Windows 7 + Mountain Lion. Enough said

#48 Cocoliso

Cocoliso

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:58

Ease of install, compatiblity 5 they are all excelent. But worst UI ever for a desktop. I think it sucks.

#49 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 20 August 2012 - 15:36

I couldn't get the CP off my computer fast enough, but gave it a second chance with the RTM trial. This time around I actually gave it a chance, can say I'll be upgrading and no I'm not getting paid for this. However, if Microsoft feels like compensating me I wouldn't reject it and would definitely disclose it. Also, here's a list. With bullets!

• Search. (I love how you can just start typing)
  • Boot time. (Negligible as I have SSD)
  • Multi-monitor refinements. (Could still use more.)
  • New desktop interface/explorer options. (Can keep it simple or complex)
  • Mail/Messenger/Calendar.
  • Native ISO mounting.
  • Start screen. (I hated it when I tried the CP and uninstalled it within 24 hours of using it. Now after using the RTM trial over the weekend, I actually find it far superior to the old start menu. Still needs some refining. More mouse options would be nice.)
Dislikes:
  • Cannot specify which monitor the Video app plays on. (I want it to play on my TV, but then I lose the start screen on my main monitor. Will not be replacing VLC. Yet.)
  • Mail app does not support IMAP.
  • Cannot add custom emoticons to Messenger. (They seem to be removing features instead of adding them. Not a big deal because as I only have one contact who still uses it. Facebook, etc. has replaced it. Not to mention the fact I’m over 30 and shouldn’t need to communicate with childish nonsense. It’s hard to resist one of my favourites, though. NSFW.)
  • Not enough quality third party apps. (Hopefully that changes once it retails. Waiting for you, Apple/Google/Mozilla.)
  • The ‘Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media’ icon. (I know I can hide it, but then I can’t hide the arrow.)
  • Default programs behaviour. (For some reason they don't seem to stick and have to be set again after install.)

#50 DpwOX545

DpwOX545

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 16:02

I like everyone MS did with Windows 8 except for removing the Start Button and Start Menu in favor of Metro. My media pc for example doesn't have a keyboard and my remote doesn't have a windows key mapped to it and considering my wife just gave birth to twins I don't have any time to try and mess with it.

I just hate Metro as it dumbs down the desktop/workstation experience. A few easy things MS could have done to make it better would have been utilize the Win 7 taskbar with Metro UI, they also really shipped a 1.0 product as Metro is missing a lot of functionality such as a completely built out control panel, a metro file explorer, etc...

I will use Windows 7 until MS fixes Windows 8.

#51 veternan

veternan

Neowinian

• Phone: Xperia Mini

Posted 21 August 2012 - 16:08

7 is my lucky number, hate 8 :shiftyninja:

#52 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:58

Why the scrollbar buttons in IE have to be inconsistently big compared to explorer is beyond me. Do they think its there for easy press for touch screen users? Those users will swipe up and down to scroll pages. Another sign of amateurish UI design.

I like the new task manager. Looks slick. But it reports my CPU frequency as 5 Ghz when my i5 3550 can boost and reach a maximum frequency of 3.9 Ghz only.

Another of my laptop has a tendency to hang randomly which is the dynamictick issue carried forward from RP.

Thus it is clear that Windows 8 was totally rushed to be available in time for holiday season. We can expect day 1 patches on retail availability, no sh** Sherlock in that!

#53 Digi Justicer

Digi Justicer

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:16

Unusable. Went back to 7 after a couple of days of testing. Serious compatibility with my daily use apps. Metro UI is... Something I can't even define. To sum it up in a single word: Horror.
Thanks for Windows 7 Microsoft!

#54 Fid

Fid

Do I know you?

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:30

I've been using Win 8 Pro from Friday night and so far so good. Love the multi-monitor improvements, still trying to figure out what the point of Metro is though (on a desktop).

How do I quit Metro applications I have launched? For example, if I open Mail, the only way I can get out of it is by going back to Start and choosing Desktop... how do I stop Mail from then running?

Otherwise, mostly looks good, very fast, very slick.

Forgot to mention, also like the idea I can log into my Microsoft Account and everything is synced between PCs (well, settings wise) and everything is set up to go (i.e. if I wanted to use Mail).

#55 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:34

I've been using Win 8 Pro from Friday night and so far so good. Love the multi-monitor improvements, still trying to figure out what the point of Metro is though (on a desktop).

How do I quit Metro applications I have launched? For example, if I open Mail, the only way I can get out of it is by going back to Start and choosing Desktop... how do I stop Mail from then running?

Otherwise, mostly looks good, very fast, very slick.

The old Alt+F4 or you can drag the upper edge all the way down.

#56 Fid

Fid

Do I know you?

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:37

The old Alt+F4 or you can drag the upper edge down.

Ah didn't think of that! Cheers!

#57 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 28 August 2012 - 19:39

I like nearly everything about it so far, although I'm having a strange issue where Firefox seems to crash frequently and at random times. Never had this issue on any prior Windows OS.

#58 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:29

Why the scrollbar buttons in IE have to be inconsistently big compared to explorer is beyond me. Do they think its there for easy press for touch screen users?

The scrollbars only appear when using a mouse. They aren't present at all when using touch (it has an iOS-style mini-scroll indicator for that). So, no, that's not the reason. (The reason is actually that desktop IE10 is a shell around immersive IE, so it uses the new immersive-style scrollbars, while Explorer uses the older desktop style.

People who haven't actually tried using the OS with both mouse and touch seem to assume the interface is the same with both, while in reality, it adjusts depending on what input method you're using. The scrollbars are an example of that. I will agree that the new scrollbars look ugly though.

#59 Gordon Keenan

Gordon Keenan

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:08

I just wanted to post this

http://www.theverge....-next-windows-8

Awesome review from a mac user! :) Gives an amazing image of the endless possibilities of next gen UI

The different points of view are what make the OS world so interesting!

http://tasystems.wor...ows-8-released/

Have to say, I'll not be buying WIndow's 8, nor will I even install any free ones that I get access to (legitimately). I'll stick with Windows 7.

#60 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:30

Ah didn't think of that! Cheers!

You can also middle-click on the app in the task switcher or right click and Close.

It does have a learning curve, no doubt about it. I can only hope Microsoft has proper documentation out by GA time.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!