Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1144 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Windows 8 Phone--Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:09

Liking it, Working Well, Everything Reinstalled, Did clean install, Install time was Fast!, New Start screen so far has not been a bother, (still have to get bigger monitor to use Modem Apps fully) Desktop apps load really fast, Seems a lot faster than Windows 7 64bit on the same hardware.

Very Happy with WIndows 8 Pro 64bit

#122 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:10

It's funny MS has spent millions making the desktop look and act like it does, now they see Apple making a fortune and decided everything they taught us since 95 was BS. I hope they realize their core is the desktop and even though it is getting smaller it will never go away...

It's not BS. But the times are changing, and what Microsoft has with Windows 7 isn't sustainable. The consumer's interests have changed. Big, bulky apps that Windows caters to are still nice to have, but the consumer is interested in smaller apps. These Metro apps, while light, are going to start filling in the holes in the Windows OS quite nicely, and you're never going to have a desktop equivalent to many of these, so avoiding them is futile. Hell the Metro Skype app replaced the desktop one for me, I'm currently running it docked to the left side of my monitor. I also have MetroTwit, and Calendar running in the background. After I reply here I'm going to be opening OneNote MX to update some notes I have.

People may laugh, but Windows 8 is a big deal, and this is pretty much why.

#123 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38

I just ran a Metro app on my desktop.... and liked it. *runs away and hides* :laugh:

is it like if I kissed a girl and liked it?

#124 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:44

It's not BS. But the times are changing, and what Microsoft has with Windows 7 isn't sustainable. The consumer's interests have changed. Big, bulky apps that Windows caters to are still nice to have, but the consumer is interested in smaller apps. These Metro apps, while light, are going to start filling in the holes in the Windows OS quite nicely, and you're never going to have a desktop equivalent to many of these, so avoiding them is futile. Hell the Metro Skype app replaced the desktop one for me, I'm currently running it docked to the left side of my monitor. I also have MetroTwit, and Calendar running in the background. After I reply here I'm going to be opening OneNote MX to update some notes I have.

People may laugh, but Windows 8 is a big deal, and this is pretty much why.

On the desktop it is BS, you have entry level laptops with I3's and 4 gigs of ram, you do NOT need "smaller apps", the entry level pcs are more powerful and less expensive than ever before. The market is shifting, yes, the people who don't want desktops are just jumping around from laptops to netbooks to tablets. They just have more choices than they ever had before, it doesn't mean they still don't have a desktop, hardware lasts longer, desktops don't NEED to be replaced as often as they once did.

I don't know what hole you need filled but after running 95 to XP to W7, there isn't a need I have, on either my desktop or my laptop.

#125 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:55

Installed fine. Everything seems to work out of the box (did a clean install). It's quicker than 7.

For those who are not liking it. Leave it on a few days. Once you get used to it, you may change your mind.

#126 Phantom Spaceman

Phantom Spaceman

The Not So Fresh Prince

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:59

is it like if I kissed a girl and liked it?

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

#127 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:02

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Only girl here is my sister and that would be soooo wronnng!!!!

#128 Phantom Spaceman

Phantom Spaceman

The Not So Fresh Prince

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:09

Only girl here is my sister and that would be soooo wronnng!!!!

Quoted for truth haha!

#129 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:10

Not bad :) I decided to install it on my laptop (which was running the Release Preview previously) and running well, although the freezing issue is slightly annoying (never did that in the RP). All in all, so far so good! (Y)

#130 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:32

I think adding ads to their card games was the final straw, a 30 second ad to play a game that was free in the last version? No Thanks.

Wasn't the 30-second ads only on the Daily Challenges? The game itself (if you select not to do the Daily Challenges and just stick with the game) is ad-free just like on previous Windows releases. Just saying, I have nothing against your vote since it's your own personal experience.

Speaking of ads but not related to games, I noticed the Music app also inserts audio/video ads... when you're listening to your own music. I can understand ads for streaming music, but if I'm playing something off my disk why is there a need to treat my offline collection like a radio station?

edit: haven't heard any ads since turning off the Xbox Music Cloud and not playing any streaming music.

#131 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:59

Installed fine. Everything seems to work out of the box (did a clean install). It's quicker than 7.

For those who are not liking it. Leave it on a few days. Once you get used to it, you may change your mind.

Been using it since Beta....I still hate it. This OS is perfect for tablets, not for the desktop.

#132 Swift-R

Swift-R

Aviator

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:40

I like it, even more than the release preview. Only problem atm is Call of Duty 2 which acts weird in 8 and fine in 7 in the same machine. Has anyone tried it?

#133 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:54

The only thing I don't like is how Window frames aren't transparent. I loved the theme in the Consumer preview.

#134 Wan

Wan

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:48

Posted Image
http://i103.photobuc.../comparison.png

Is there a way to fix IE10's fonts? Seems to be a bit small and close to each other compared to chrome and Firefox(on the right of the screenshot compared to IE's on the left)?

#135 skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Royale with Cheese

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 820

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:14

My main gripe is no "Recent Documents" list on Start menu, but that's really all (so far).