Share your Windows 8/8.1 (Store) app recommendations

win8.1 win8

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#136 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:25

I don't have Windows 8 yet and I don't know if it comes installed, but the Solitaire app from Microsoft looks like a lot of fun.

It is actually...it was infuriating at first...until I remembered how to play Spider Solitaire. I'd forgotten the rules on that one...so a daily challenge was causing me rage until I was like...duh /facepalm

#137 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:31

I don't have Windows 8 yet and I don't know if it comes installed, but the Solitaire app from Microsoft looks like a lot of fun.

It does not come pre-installed but it's free. The Daily Challenges shows a 20-30 second ad but not every game. I don't mind it though since there are no ads on the game itself.

#138 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:34

I am running Win 8 Pro x64 RTM. I dont see the Skype app yet. How did you get it?

If you bring up the link from the Neowin article concerning Skype, it will auto-launch the Store's link (it did in my case - via Waterfox).

I am running Win 8 Pro x64 RTM. I dont see the Skype app yet. How did you get it?

If you bring up the link from the Neowin article concerning Skype, it will auto-launch the Store's link (it did in my case - via Waterfox).
I have it snapped to the left of Waterfox as I type this.

#139 -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• Phone: Nokia 5235

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:56

Hey, is the store not accepting payments currently or is there something wrong on my side?

#140 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 14:46

TeamViewer Touch
I use to work on TeamViewer much so it will be good for others as well. I am on 7 though but sharing.
http://apps.microsof...68-12171f73ed37

#141 brlmedia

brlmedia

Neowinian

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:16

for anyone on office 365, or in small business, the new Lync metro app is out, looks great!!!

#142 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:15

Thought you would....

#143 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 22:00

I've submitted an update, enabling multitouch (apparently you could exploit the pinch emulation in the simulator to test it) and sustaining keys (note keeps playing when you keep the key pressed, applies only to the new variable ADSR envelope). I had some sales, figure at least one of you guys is amongst it, so I wanted to let you know.

Hope it clears certification fast.

Here's an app of mine. A 25-key mini piano backed by a synthesizer. Doesn't do multitouch yet, since I don't have a tablet to test yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://apps.microsof...42-1a96ec3ab4ce

#144 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 23:14

So you know, it does actually support multitouch, to the extent that you can touch and interact with multiple keys and attempt to do the same with the dials.

The coming update does do multitouch on the keyboard. The dials don't. Internally, when hitting a key, it constructs a graph, sets the values of the dials to the objects and then passes that graph to the mixer. Changing the values won't change a playing note, so multitouch wouldn't work here. This is something for one of my upcoming projects, which is a fully modular synthesizer, where I'm using the Doepfer A-100 as inspiration during development.

#145 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:21

The coming update does do multitouch on the keyboard.

It's doing multitouch right now on my machine at any rate, I can happily touch multiple keys at the same time and it'll play em all on top of each other.

It's a nice application, though I would say the dials are a tad confusing to operate initially especially on a touch device. I was trying to change the values by sliding along the arc itself, rather than up & down.

#146 knightracer

knightracer

The One and Only

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:56

Shazam

#147 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:12

well, ofc I'd have to first recommend my own app, Pinner. It lets you save the websites, pictures, and more that you come across in Windows 8 through the Share charm.

other than that, the Netflix app is great, and so is the Skype app

#148 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:31

well, ofc I'd have to first recommend my own app, Pinner. It lets you save the websites, pictures, and more that you come across in Windows 8 through the Share charm.

other than that, the Netflix app is great, and so is the Skype app

Looks good, although WHY U NO UK?!

#149 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:59

Looks good, although WHY U NO UK?!

Oh, sorry, I completely forgot about non-US English-speaking countries :blush:
I'll put out an update, you should expect to see it in the Store in about a week :)

#150 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:11

I can't seem to find the Ms games on my surface, solitaire, minesweeper and all. Are those only x86 right now or am I issuing something?