Share your Windows 8/8.1 (Store) app recommendations

win8.1 win8

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#226 MrChris2000

MrChris2000

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:32

Loving TrackSeries and Khan Academy apps.

I just launched version 4 of my app SmashCast which is a podcast subscriber/downloader app.
I know the UI is very basic, but the core functionality is all there, id love some reviews though, even if you hate it (all my reviews are from v2 and dont represent the current state of the app).

#227 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:35

I guess I'll post my own application - Music Info http://apps.microsof...bd-90cc214cc09f

It's meant to be a music discovery application, with some pretty photos. But it plays your mp3/wav files too (and DRM free AAC & WMA if you pay too), and with better performance than Xbox Music. It wasn't initially intended to be a music player, so not everything is there yet (like playlists), but people seem to really like it.

Posted Image

Any update on when/if playlist support will be added? Tried it and liked it but I listen to my music in playlists so without it I cant buy it. Thanks

#228 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:59

Any update on when/if playlist support will be added? Tried it and liked it but I listen to my music in playlists so without it I cant buy it. Thanks

Sometime soon - I've ben on holiday so haven't had anytime to add playlist stuff, but I'll get started over the weekend after I've cleaned up some bugs.

#229 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:03

Sometime soon - I've ben on holiday so haven't had anytime to add playlist stuff, but I'll get started over the weekend after I've cleaned up some bugs.

Thanks, can I ask though, will the new playlist support enable the app to be able to read existing Zune and WMP playlists? And will it save playlists in those formats (or at least a compatible format) or will it be restricted to reading and writing playlists within the app itself? Thanks.

#230 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:21

noticed Music Info featured on the front page of the store today!

#231 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:29

I see that there are torrent front end clients that connect to the desktop version to manage your torrents. How hard is it if at all to make a pure metro app and not just a fancy manager app for the desktop version?

#232 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37

I see that there are torrent front end clients that connect to the desktop version to manage your torrents. How hard is it if at all to make a pure metro app and not just a fancy manager app for the desktop version?

I thought Metro apps weren't allowed to do most forms of background processes...

But anyway, I'd recommend News Bento: while its not as good as Flipboard when it comes to bringing in different news sources (here you either pick from the list it gives you, or input an RSS feed), it is definitely a well-designed news app. Its layout mimics the behavior of the start screen, so you'll already know how to manipulate it.

#233 MrChris2000

MrChris2000

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:57

Hey, so I've just had the latest version of SmashCast approved for the Store, I'd love it if some of you took a look and let me know your thoughts.
Its not pretty, but I believe it has the best functionality of the existing podcast applications.

I'm also working on some new features such as improved playlist management (at present you can't easily navigate a playlist, I've got most of that fixed in the current dev build - just shows how long the approval process can be!).
And I'm also looking to fix the two outstanding bugs I'm aware of - see if you can spot them before I get them fixed :)

Any feature suggestions are welcomed as well.

#234 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 21 March 2013 - 17:22

Radiant Defense is fantastic.

#235 Rattilla

Rattilla

Neowinian

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:38

My first post here. I've been using Reddit on Reddhub, and I love it. I never knew what Reddit was until I found this app. I tried the app on a whim and I've loved it ever since. I also like that it is being regularly updated to make improvements.

#236 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:20

My new company's first app launched this week. It's a different take on a news reading app, and it's called Newseen.

Here's the store link:
http://apps.microsof...78-9d512dbdfb35

I also made a little promo video and put it up on YouTube and the app's website:
http://newseen.com

Love to hear what folks think :-)

#237 Endorsay

Endorsay

Neowinian

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:36

startingOut.png A game I like is Robotek

Also wrote one myself called Whats the Pic that's been popular across all ages and genders:

http://apps.microsof...1e-b24bdc3e43cc

Rated 4.5 stars with 3,500 ratings :-)
Interested in any feedback you have; also on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks

#238 Endorsay

Endorsay

Neowinian

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:42

I guess I'll post my own application - Music Info http://apps.microsof...bd-90cc214cc09f

Congrats for launching! :)

#239 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:29

I recommend the Desktop App. It's the only one I use. (Y)

#240 Mulsivaas

Mulsivaas

Neowin is a Windows-Enthusiast Site

• Phone: Sprint HTC Evo 4G (Dream: Lumia 920)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:12

osuwildlifer, on 14 Jun 2013 - 08:29, said:osuwildlifer, on 14 Jun 2013 - 08:29, said:

I recommend the Desktop App. It's the only one I use. (Y)

That's a damn shame. There are so many good apps available in the Store that many developers have put a lot of time and effort into.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!