Share your Windows 8/8.1 (Store) app recommendations

win8.1 win8

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#241 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:34

That's a damn shame. There are so many good apps available in the Store that many developers have put a lot of time and effort into.

Not a shame at all from my perspective.  I do not want a full-screen app on my 30" desktop monitor. Ever.  (except remote desktop, which for obvious reasons makes sense)

I'm not knocking the apps themselves or the skill of the dev's that made 'em... i just hate the whole idea of forcing an app to be full screen only.  Why would I want a full screen, 30" calculator or stopwatch or instant messenger?

#242 Mulsivaas

Mulsivaas

Neowin is a Windows-Enthusiast Site

• Phone: Sprint HTC Evo 4G (Dream: Lumia 920)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:56

osuwildlifer, on 27 Jun 2013 - 18:34, said:

Not a shame at all from my perspective.  I do not want a full-screen app on my 30" desktop monitor. Ever.  (except remote desktop, which for obvious reasons makes sense)

I'm not knocking the apps themselves or the skill of the dev's that made 'em... i just hate the whole idea of forcing an app to be full screen only.  Why would I want a full screen, 30" calculator or stopwatch or instant messenger?

You know you can dock them to the sides, too, right? And with 8.1 now you can have them e any size. And I bet your 30" monitor has just as many pixels as my 10.6" and 23", no need to throw that number around.

Anyway, I really like the ReddHubb app. I use it on my desktop and tablet to provide, in my opinion, a better Reddit experience than the website.

#243 corrosive23

corrosive23

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 11 August 2013 - 16:29

You know you can dock them to the sides, too, right? And with 8.1 now you can have them e any size. And I bet your 30" monitor has just as many pixels as my 10.6" and 23", no need to throw that number around.

Anyway, I really like the ReddHubb app. I use it on my desktop and tablet to provide, in my opinion, a better Reddit experience than the website.

I find it hard to believe your 10.6 or 23" does 2560 x 1600. More than likely your 23" does 1920 x 1080, huge difference.

#244 Mulsivaas

Mulsivaas

Neowin is a Windows-Enthusiast Site

• Phone: Sprint HTC Evo 4G (Dream: Lumia 920)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:49

So you're just assuming his monitor is 2560x1600?

#245 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:23

To be fair, I don't know any 30" monitors which are lower res than that.

However, I use Store apps all the time on mine. Though 8.1 very much improves their usefulness on it.

#246 margagn

margagn

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2013 - 00:17

I would like to recommend my free game for Windows 8: Marblie! This is an addictive puzzle game and I think you will like it. It can be downloaded here: http://apps.microsof...3d-8b0b56623bf6.

Marblie was just released today and I would really like to know what you guys thinks of it! Fell free to drop me a line or review the app! 

Thank you for giving it a try!

Screenshot.223355.100000.jpg

#247 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:30

Can anyone recommend a good music app for playing music on my computer? The Music app in Windows 8.1 is terrible. Was just about usable in Windows 8, but now it is just "cloud, cloud, cloud!" and I'm struggling to find my own music amongst all the pushing of the cloud in it. It has even set all my playlists to play from the cloud! :angry:

I'm giving "Groove" a go (which is nice but lacks a live tile) and have downloaded the trial of ~Johnny's "Music Info" mentioned a few pages back (seems good, except for a crash when selecting artists). Any others out there?

#248 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:59

Can we have the app store pinned? I'm still half asleep and tried windows store and such but no idea of the URL to the actual store for apps.

I just installed Awesome Zombie sniper.. seems to have a pretty decent rating.

#249 FreeJAC1310

FreeJAC1310

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 21:53

I have been testing out Media Monkey for music and DLNA server playback. Seems to work well. Have to use the built-in search to build the song indexes took me a bit to figure that out.

#250 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:23

I naturally have to plug my latest app, Tweetium. It's been getting some pretty great reviews all over :-)

http://tweetiumapp.com

#251 margagn

margagn

Neowinian

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:57

I would like to recommend my newest Windows 8 app: Lexiqo!

The game is free, supports landscape and portrait mode (works great on a Surface!) and has two dictionaries: English and French. Finally, if you take the time to try the game, please leave me a feedback/review! I wrote that app in my spare time and feedbacks/comments/reviews are what keep me excited and motivated.

Screenshot.335856.100000.jpg

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!