Share your Windows 8/8.1 (Store) app recommendations

win8.1 win8

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#46 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 23 August 2012 - 19:33

For me I didn't have to open the games app. Pinball fx opened it automatically

Not sure what's going on. Could be different versions of PFX2? I may uninstall and reinstall. I was able to purchase a table following grayscale's instructions. I don't think achievements are working properly either. Not good for the flagship game. Still a great diversions, I'm a HULK fanatic.

#47 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:39

It won't be in Store till October 26th (I suppose this holds true to nearly all high profile apps) but here's a quick look at PowerDirector: http://www.engadget....eo-editing-app/.

That is a fairly complex process (video editing) made very easy with touch. I can see this become very popular for home videos / Facebook videos and the like. And of course, the option to take it to the Desktop for fine tuning seamlessly. Looks very promising indeed. Once again shows that the Windows 8 vision is meaningless without apps that take full advantage of it.

#48 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:27

There's going to have to be a major update to the store and xbox games (specifically the purchasing elements). Very unstable, random quits, and not pulling all payment options from Xbox Account. - NOT READY for RTM, but has been RTM. Day 1 patches welcome.

#49 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 24 August 2012 - 13:07

Yeah, the store is kinda broken to me too for now :p Sometimes you click on "my apps" and it does nothing, hitting the back arrow on search does nothing too etc.

Can't wait for the XBOX update tho, we need more XBOX achievements on minesweeper ^^

#50 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:04

Yeah, the store is kinda broken to me too for now :p Sometimes you click on "my apps" and it does nothing, hitting the back arrow on search does nothing too etc.

Can't wait for the XBOX update tho, we need more XBOX achievements on minesweeper ^^

Solitaire and MahJong too. I actually play MahJong and played all the solitaire styles. Actually like a few new ones. There should definitely be a speed achievement for Minesweeper.

#51 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 25 August 2012 - 17:53

eBay Metro App is nice. Random quit on first sign-in. Don't know if it's Win 8 or the way apps are being written or what. The app is nice though for monitoring.

#52 chrisl

chrisl

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 25 August 2012 - 21:27

Currently the BBC news app and the improved eBay are good, also worth a mention fliptoast and orange Wednesdays (film guide, could be UK only)

#53 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:53

I downloaded the app "Gaana" which means Songs In English.

Though the app is decent, the sound quality is painfully pathetic to listen as regular radio station.

#54 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 27 August 2012 - 00:03

The Solitair and Minesweeper are pretty good :)
(From the looks of it the Mahjong also looks pretty good, but that's not really a game I like...)

Has anyone found a decent replacement for 'Chess Titans'?

#55 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 27 August 2012 - 21:19

I downloaded the app "Gaana" which means Songs In English.

Though the app is decent, the sound quality is painfully pathetic to listen as regular radio station.

Do you mean it means song in Punjabi?

#56 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:29

Do you mean it means song in Punjabi?

I can't be more clear when I said it means "song" in English

Ganna is a Hindi word derived from ancient Sanskrit. It means "song". People speaking Punjabi may use the word ganna as well as it's very similar to Hindi. Not too sure and that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have abandoned that app as the sound quality is p*** poor. Good job Times of India.

#57 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2012 - 14:05

Reversi Twist is now a paid app. Anyway, what happens if we've already installed the app before it becomes a paid app. Does our installed app became a trial?

#58 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:09

I can't be more clear when I said it means "song" in English

Ganna is a Hindi word derived from ancient Sanskrit. It means "song". People speaking Punjabi may use the word ganna as well as it's very similar to Hindi. Not too sure and that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have abandoned that app as the sound quality is p*** poor. Good job Times of India.

Call me slow. But, you say it means "song" in English. But, then you say it's a Hindi word. Uh..? If it's a Hindi word, wouldn't it mean "Song" in Hindi? Or, conversely the word "Song" in English means "Gaana" in Hindi? Point is, if a word (Gaana) originates in one language (Hindi) it is then translated into another language (English) thus giving you the translated word (Song). Therefore, Gaana means Song in English.

Edit: Nevermind. I see where our mix up is. It's a language thing. For those of us whose native tongue is American English we say what a word from another language means in THAT language. For example:

The word "Gaana" means "Song" in Hindi.

Whereas it seems you say what a Native word means in ANOTHER language. Example:

The word "Gaana" means "Song" in English.

Either way it's the same thing. Another way of writing it that would make sense in both would be, the word "Gaana" is "Song" in English.

Anyway, I liked the Times of India app, but I liked NDTV better.

#59 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:24

The 7Digital Music Store app is kind of neat. You can stream and download all of your purchased music and even pin artists, albums or playlists to the Start screen. Seems cool. I wonder why this isn't implemented in Microsoft's own Music app.

Attached Images

• 7digital.png

#60 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:31

Call me slow. But, you say it means "song" in English. But, then you say it's a Hindi word. Uh..? If it's a Hindi word, wouldn't it mean "Song" in Hindi?

You are correct. They could have said "I downloaded the app "Gaana" which in English means "songs" " but the way they phrased it was poor.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!