Hey guys, just registered to leave a few impressions.
- Windows 8 is, by far, the fastest Windows I have dealt with to date. It simply works faster, not only on the boot time, but in everything. File Explorer, Internet Explorer (which I am back to after 4 years using Firefox), device installation and resource heavy software (Adobe software mostly).
- The Metro interface is very useful to me, even without touch inputs. I always dock the messaging app to the screenside and chat with friends from there. Recently I've found the joys of internet radio and I've been using radio apps from Windows Store. They are simple to use and pretty good looking. And they work, of course.
- Like many others, I frowned upon the new start menu in the beginning. But that lasted for hours. The new start menu may look confuse at first (due to lots of icons), but it is faster. It is faster because you have to click less to open what you want. Example: the task is to open hmm, dunno, Roxio Software:
Windows 7: click Start button > All Programs > Scroll Down > Roxio > click software
Windows 8: click Start > Scroll to software column > click software.
And that's because I just used the mouse!
- New task manager is brillant. Enriches the desktop experience, which is still awesome. I haven't used File History but it sounds like a great feature.
And that's my review on Windows 8.
I got questions for you guys:
- What nVidia drivers are you guys using?
- How's the network performance?
- Got any software that didn't work out of the box?