183 replies to this topic

#31 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 17 August 2012 - 18:22

Workaround to slim down the title bars:

From a Windows 7 installation with title bars/border padding set the way you want them to export the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics to a .reg file. Import this in Windows 8, log out and back in. Result: Reasonably sized title bars.

#32 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 August 2012 - 18:25

i agree, hopefully windows 9 will get rid of the desktop completely. time to stop living in ancient times.

#33 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 18:39

I haven’t had much time to spend with Windows 8, but from what I’ve heard from others, the Star Screen is very good for “ambient information”. That is, you can set it up to display a lot of information without having to launch other applications. You could set up the Windows key as a very easy way to get a whole lot of the information your having to use different applications or mange multiple tabs to do currently.

#34 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 19:06

Would it really make sense to continue calling it Windows, if it was all Metro? I mean, none of the UI at least would have anything to do with what came before, right? Why not simply give it a new name then?

#35 jagowar

jagowar

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Focus

Posted 17 August 2012 - 19:09

Would it really make sense to continue calling it Windows, if it was all Metro? I mean, none of the UI at least would have anything to do with what came before, right? Why not simply give it a new name then?

I think it would have done wonders to call it something different from the negative backlash from the haters.

Calling it windows set an expectation for those desktop users.... its not that.... it's thinking beyond the desktop and to the next generation of computing and really should have had a name to reflect that.

#36 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 17 August 2012 - 19:13

<<Topics Merged>>

#37 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:07

By merging the two threads, this post makes no sense. Two totally different topics that has nothing to do with each other and you merged it? People see the OP and respond to it. How do people know there are 2 OPs in it now? They don't. So my OP is now lost. I'm done.

#38 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:33

I think it would have done wonders to call it something different from the negative backlash from the haters.

Calling it windows set an expectation for those desktop users.... its not that.... it's thinking beyond the desktop and to the next generation of computing and really should have had a name to reflect that.

Totally agree.

#39 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:47

Maybe Microsoft will not call the next version "Windows 9".
If the desktop plays a minimal role in the next Windows version (mainly for backward compatibility), then yes, it would make sense to rename the OS to something more relevant.

The Windows brand, however, has powerful recognition appeal to consumers. It's going to be a difficult decision.

#40 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:49

Has anyone figured out how to use hover over menus in IE?

#41 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:51

I completely ignored Windows 8 before it hit RTM, I just didn't understand it. Before I've always ran earliest alpha/beta builds since Windows 98 as soon as I got my hands on them, and been on internal Windows Beta tests. When I installed RTM I was shocked but now after using it a week or so I've started to like it more and more :)

This has a lot of enhancements I really like. I don't like those huge window borders though and I think metro makes things a little too hard for mouse and keyboard, icons there should be small, close together and near the bottom left corner so you don't have to make big moves with the mouse back and forth. Also shut down should be somewhere else rather than buried in settings. Win+X menu is neat and it seems there are most of the Windows settings I usually need.

All and all there is more positive than negative on Windows 8, I think I'll buy it.

#42 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:52

i like it tons, been using it since cr and still love it.

#43 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:53

The Windows brand, however, has powerful recognition appeal to consumers. It's going to be a difficult decision.

Recognition? Yes. Appeal? I wouldn't be so sure. When consumers have a choice, they don't appear to gravitate towards the Windows brand. In fact, I believe Windows Phone would be doing better if it had a different name. Or look at the hugely successful Xbox. No Windows brand there.

#44 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:40

I like the UI of Win8, as well as some of the improvements made to basic tasks like copy/paste.

#45 danwpe

danwpe

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:47

Win 8 is very clean looking now on the desktop, I quite like the new start screen too. I don't use any metro apps, but I'm trying to give the people/messenger etc apps a go.

It's super quick too and I love the way it turns off and just gives you a simple screen rather than sat staring at the desktop until it decides to power down in Win 7.