• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#46 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:06

Found a way to fix the horrible JPEG compression going on with wallpapers on Windows 8, not sure why it is happening, or if it still happens in the final RTM build, but the simple fix is to convert your walls to PNGs, and boom, the compression is gone.

#47 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 August 2012 - 19:15

Everytime I start IE I have to enter username and password again on all sites even though I had checked keep me signed in previously. Anyone know why that happens?

#48 Pygmy_Hippo

Pygmy_Hippo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 August 2012 - 20:36

I've been using Windows 8 since the DP and love it. My only gripe is that the Start screen can't be used at 720p resolution - I have an HTPC setup that goes through a TV, which unfortunately looks horrific in 1080i 50hz. Windows 7 on 720p looked lovely (I know, not as nice as 1080p would, but I can't afford a new tv at the mo!) and there was plenty of screen real-estate. I wonder how many others are using their pc's through a tv or projector and are having the same issues? :/

#49 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 20:47

I love Windows 8

In general
  • Fast
  • New task manager is awesome
  • New explorer
  • File copying: much improved dialog and auto switch between interfaces. I can start a copy on WiFi then plug Ethernet in and it automatically switches.
  • Win+X Menu
  • Eject USB device menu pops up instantly now! This used to take around 3-5 seconds on all Windows 7 computers so I never even bothered. Now I use it all the time to eject my external hard drive.
For my convertible tablet
  • Metro UI is much easier to use with fingersover Windows 7
  • New touch keyboard is much better than Windows 7's
  • Metro apps

A few things that are better in 7
  • Network and sharing center used to let you rename the networks from generic Network, Network 2, Network 3
  • Explorer details pane now is vertical and takes up quite a bit of room on my laptop's 13" 1366x768 display. I wish this was an option. Don't mind it as much on my desktop.
  • A few other missing options here and there that I can't quite remember

#50 +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

Posted 18 August 2012 - 21:43

I love the new Task Manager. I love the new GUI bit when you are copying files. It certainly feels a lot more responsive. I mean Windows 7 was amazing...This is better so far! And I haven't even had a proper good test of it yet. I didn't use any Betas, Release Previews etc just RTM.

I did get a "Blue Screen" However once but this was when I tried to enable Jumbo Packets on my Intel PRO 1000 Nic. I got dpc watchdog violation error but it looks like a lot of people are getting this for various reasons. I am guessing there maybe a Day 1 hot-fix for this soon...

#51 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 22:47

Using IE10 desktop, sometimes I am getting a white blank page icon in the taskbar tab previews instead of the picture of the site. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm also getting a quick white flash when switching tabs (specially after I open a tab in the background and then select it). These problems don't occur in other browsers or programs.

#52 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 August 2012 - 22:52

I love the new Task Manager. I love the new GUI bit when you are copying files. It certainly feels a lot more responsive. I mean Windows 7 was amazing...This is better so far! And I haven't even had a proper good test of it yet. I didn't use any Betas, Release Previews etc just RTM.

I agree, but I really REALLY HATE the new "Move but keep both files" dialogue box, what was once 1 click is now multiple selection boxes and a severe PITA

#53 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:08

I'm using the Enterprise Evaluation until I can purchase a few copies in October.
Installed flawlessly (and speedily!). Runs even faster and smoother than Windows 7, IMO.

What I would like to be able to change:
Disable taskbar transparency.
The titlebar text colour.

I can live with these as is, but it would be nice if I could change them.

#54 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 14:27

I don't know why Microsoft got rid of some Start screen backgrounds that were previously available in the CP and RP, like the bubbles one. That was probably my favorite. Most of the backgrounds in the RTM are just too busy for my tastes. Being able to use our own backgrounds would've been nice. Maybe they add the feature in the next version of Windows.

#55 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:38

I just noticed that when moving an icon on the Start Screen, if you hover on the lower left corner (while dragging), the screen zooms out which makes moving icons around the start screen easier.

#56 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:21

I just noticed that when moving an icon on the Start Screen, if you hover on the lower left corner (while dragging), the screen zooms out which makes moving icons around the start screen easier.

The entire top and bottom edges of the screen work for this, not just the lower left corner. It's IMO the single coolest "move" in all of Windows 8. Just wish there were a way to drag multiple tiles at once.

#57 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:42

From the "don't get mad - get even" Department of Sneaky Applications -

Whenever someone accuses us Windows 8 users of running a tablet or "phone" OS, come back with "Windows Phone - or Android?" (And make it stick.)

One free (in beta currently, but will be bundled with ASUS PCs and motherboards in the future - it's downloadable for current ASUS hardware owners today from ASUS and available from the developer for anyone else) is the BlueStacks Android app player for Win32 (basically a customized Android VM).

I've been pointing out that most ModernUI apps have been ports from other OSes (including Android), so why not add *real* Android apps to your arsenal?

Even better, BlueStacks promotes one free Android app a day via their Facebook page (http://apps.facebook.com/BlueStacks) - today's feature is the Bloomberg app for Android.

Okay - why would a Democrat that leans conservative praise anything involving Michael Bloomberg?

Simple - despite the political leanings of Michael Bloomberg, his news service has no leanings, no spin, and is as bone-dry as Dow Jones and Company normally is. (In truth, quite aside from Bloomberg's own reporters - most of whom were, in fact, *poached* from Dow Jones and REUTERS, Bloomberg also backstops their coverage via Dow Jones and Reuters. What's more, the Bloomberg Information Service is the SAME service relied on - rather heavily - by the big cheeses in finance and government.

And until Bloomberg comes out with a ModernUI app, this is the only real alternative to having to keep a browser tab dedicated to Bloomberg.com - or paying through the nose for the Bloomberg service.

#58 calimike

calimike

Neowinian

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:39

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=3qTD0YmEIcM
http://mobilitydiges...he-apple-store/

#59 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:26

I just discovered the hidden tweak which allows to enable an advanced Start Menu Animations. It will play that animations every time you switched to the Start Screen. They are similar to the login animations. See the following (video is better than the thousands worlds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8taW1BlSTg

try right now:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid]
"Launcher_SessionLoginAnimation_OnShow"=dword:00000001

My blog post about this, in case you are interested: Enable advanced animations for the Start Screen in Windows 8

#60 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 13 October 2012 - 23:09

More parameters discovered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_w1WPXREMk

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid]
"Launcher_SessionLoginAnimation_OnShow"=dword:00000001
"Launcher_SessionLogin_IndividualTower_Offset"=dword:00001388
"Launcher_SessionLogin_Tower_Offset"=dword:00001388
"Launcher_SessionLogin_IconText_Offset"=dword:000003e8
"Launcher_SessionLogin_Icon_Offset"=dword:000003e8