How Pro Windows 8 users want Anti Windows 8 users to use Windows 8

I would, along with a large majority I bet, complain loudly if all applications started with the computer, but was trying to make a point about the logic of 'closing an app is useless', by turning such hyperbolic nonsense around in the other direction.

Original point you may have missed in the comments was: I was being berated for even *wanting* to ever close an app.

So how about this then? If Microsoft had made it impossible to close an app once launched (unless you did a full reboot, since we agree we wouldn't want them all loaded on boot), what would your opinions on that be?

Goodness I could see all the forum topics about that... lol

Your point being? It's useless to close Metro apps, yet they let you close it.

You can't kill some critical process into Windows, users aren't wanking off about it.

Your point being? It's useless to close Metro apps, yet they let you close it.

My point being if I choose to close a Metro app, don't call me names, question my parentage, make assumptions about how long I've been using a computer, or take it as an excuse to otherwise behave without respect for other's opinions. Sheez... all I said in the first place was that it wasn't intuitive how to close a Metro app and this is where we've ended up.

I would, along with a large majority I bet, complain loudly if all applications started with the computer, but was trying to make a point about the logic of 'closing an app is useless', by turning such hyperbolic nonsense around in the other direction.

That's a non sequitur, though. Letting the system manage the lifetime of application processes is best, as it adds no penalty to boot perf (as your suggestion would), yet allows you to instantly return to apps you have been using (and in the same state you last left them).

So how about this then? If Microsoft had made it impossible to close an app once launched (unless you did a full reboot, since we agree we wouldn't want them all loaded on boot), what would your opinions on that be?

It was difficult to close apps in the Developer Preview (task manager was the only way, or Alt+F4 only if you had a dev license installed). Based on user feedback, the close gesture (and always-available Alt+F4) were added later for two reasons:

1) Sometimes apps get broken/hung/etc and you just want to kill them. The close gesture/shortcut makes this easier.

2) Some small (but important) set of users want to spend more time managing their "back stack" / app switcher, or just like feeling more "in control."

Since #1 is the case that applies to most users, it makes the most sense to go back to Start so they can re-launch the app if they choose, or go do something else.

Some part of #2 is just skepticism about the system's ability to adequately manage resource usage for apps in the background. Other systems have attempted the "never close apps" idea before, sometimes with only limited success. This is just something that takes time to get through, and hopefully as you use the system your confidence in this capability will increase.

• Like 1

Windows 8 haters in a nutshell...

Post video showing how dumb he is, trying to prove the problem is the new OS.

Choose for the said video, a feature (search) of the new OS that was greatly improved.

Can someone post a claim by win8 haters that makes a shred of sense? Other than not liking the aesthetics?

Windows 8 haters,

"I don't like how it looks, where is the transparency? But i'm supposed to be a "power user" "tech savvy", i got to rationalize my girlish dislike for an OS, so i'm going to convince myself that i don't like it for other reasons, and bother everyone else with my whining while doing it so"