Where did my Metro IE10 go?

I understand the logic with having just one browser in the Metro interface. My issue with how Chrome "took over" was that as mentioned there was no warning. I did the update to Chrome on the desktop and suddenly it was there taking over as the Metro Browser.

It should be more clear when you first install a different Metro browser that it will not allow you to use Metro IE 10. Google is the first to include another Metro browser, they should have let users know with the update if using Windows 8 they would lose the Metro IE browser.

It is understandable when you install a desktop browser it will still keep other browsers available, just not default. Metro being different needed a "caution" message or something.

Sure you can change some default settings to use Metro IE with another browser, but it isn't obvious to the average user.

When you loose the Metro IE and click IE from the start screen, it will give you a notice that IE is no longer the default browser. There is a big blue button to make it the default and once you do that, you get back your Metro IE.

Keyword being "their". You must be talking about this ( http://blogs.msdn.co...businesses.aspx ) and if so then my comment stands. You cannot distribute Metro apps. Apple allows you to freely distribute and update Mac Apple Store apps that are free and paid as long as you have the right amount of licenses.

except that if users are using Gatekeeper the way it was meant to be used (the 'recommended settings') then you effectively can't distribute non-signed OSX apps outside of the Apple Store.

That's an instant deal breaker for my organization. Please correct me if I'm misreading the blog post.

the way I read it, if an IT admin wants to distribute Metro apps across his/her organization, they would:

1. Develop the app
  2. Run the certification kit (which just checks to make sure it's technically able to run on the machines)
  3. Either purchase a certificate from a trusted CA, or use a certificate from the internal company CA (the former would mean you could essentially side-load it on all Win8 computers, while the latter would mean you could only side-load it on in-company computers with the internal company CA installed as a trusted root certificate on them)
  4. Enable (through group policy or registry setting) side-loading of apps on the target PCs
  5. distribute app packages