3 Things the NEXT Xbox should have but will not.

4. 10TB of storage (for buying games online)

5. The ability to buy games through Steam (for multi-platform gaming)

6. Support for mods

What's the point of 4k resolution, the current consoles are 1080p capable which was a big deal when they launched but they barely have the power to run 720p, most games are sub-720p on consoles.

Unless you want the Xbox/PS4 to cost as much as a desktop computer capable of 4k resolution that is.....

• Like 2

Don't see why people are so hung up on 4k support. Not only would games not run at the resolution natively, but they'd look even worse scaled up to that resolution than current console games do scaled up to 1080p.

Don't see why people are so hung up on 4k support. Not only would games not run at the resolution natively, but they'd look even worse scaled up to that resolution than current console games do scaled up to 1080p.

it's not just about games. what about video content?

? Ability to play PlayStation games

? Ability to play Wii & Wii U games

? Ability to play PC games

? Ability to play Mac games

? Have a build-in store specially for me where everything can be downloaded for free

? 120 TB of storage space

? Printing of genuine ?500 bills, including all raw materials needed to last me a lifetime. This too only for me

? A ?9,99 price tag, which includes a 55-inch LED LCD TV and four controllers

See "ACTIONpack" I can think of even more than you!

It pretty much is about games. As that's what you buy a gaming console for, games. If all you want is netflix and vudu and etc. you can get that for 1/3 the price.

From a typical viewing distance and TV screen size your eyes won't even notice the difference. So unless mister ACTIONpack has a 120-inch TV hanging in his home which he'll be watching less than 3 meters away it won't do him much good. I'm already talking substantially less than 4k here, more like 3k-ish.

DVDs lasted over a decade, Blu-ray isn't going anywhere, 4K TVs are going to take a good few years to be as mainstream and as cheap as 1080p TVs are at the moment.

Doesn't make sense to add another hundred or two to the cost of the console to support a niche.

DVDs lasted over a decade, Blu-ray isn't going anywhere, 4K TVs are going to take a good few years to be as mainstream and as cheap as 1080p TVs are at the moment.

Doesn't make sense to add another hundred or two to the cost of the console to support a niche.

PS3 did it w/ blu-ray. blu-ray wasnt close to mainstream when it was released. why wouldnt MS or Sony want to futureproof when the next-gen console is going to last for another 6-7 years?

It pretty much is about games. As that's what you buy a gaming console for, games. If all you want is netflix and vudu and etc. you can get that for 1/3 the price.

sure, the main purpose is gaming, but i use my PS3 as my main media server. i use it for games, blu-ray, netflix and NAS streaming with DLNA.

PS3 did it w/ blu-ray. blu-ray wasnt close to mainstream when it was released. why wouldnt MS or Sony want to futureproof when the next-gen console is going to last for another 6-7 years?with DLNA.

I still don't understand why people are under the impression we need 4k resolution. It just won't have the same impact as Blu-ray at the time. This chart doesn't even go all the way through to 4k, but it gives you a good impression of my point.

post-128385-0-10923200-1344536498_thumb.

PS3 did it w/ blu-ray. blu-ray wasnt close to mainstream when it was released. why wouldnt MS or Sony want to futureproof when the next-gen console is going to last for another 6-7 years?

It's not just about media, to support 4K resolution the next gen consoles would need at least sli/crossfire graphics with 2-4Gb of VRAM to power games. That would push the console price upwards of $1000.

As for media playback 720p/1080p was and had been a standard for years, 4K is in its infancy, there is no consumer grade 4K video playback system, there are no 4K video sources in digital or optical format outside of niche video, video clips and/or test footage.

More importantly there arent any 4k capable TVs that don't cost thousands and thousands, I don't see 4K taking off anything like Blu-ray did, at least not for 5-10 years when the next gen consoles will be mid to end of life.

1. 4k support

2. 802.11AC

3. Zero Noise

4. DDR4.

When it comes to Wi-Fi, I prefer the idea of having to buy an adapter separate, maybe then it would encourage people to use wired rather than laggy wireless.

4. The ability to punch someone in the face through Xbox live.

I would happily pay a grand a year for a subscription to be able to do that.

1. 4k support

2. 802.11AC

3. Zero Noise

1+2 not required.

I belive it will be silent as the slim, as Microsoft are aiming more towards the media market yet again.

Personally, I want them to make a durable, quality console this time that doesn't need replacing every other year. Allowing the user to buy an off-the-shelf HDD to upgrade and using standards like Bluetooth would be nice as well, but they're too busy being ###### for consumer friendly stuff like that to happen.

4k is the dumbest gimmick yet, it will fail harder than 3D TV. There is no reason for a 4k TV to exist, you can't even tell the difference in 720p and 1080p on the average sized home TV. Plus if they try to sucker people into replacing their newly purchased Blu-Ray collections there would be rage.

4k is the dumbest gimmick yet, it will fail harder than 3D TV. There is no reason for a 4k TV to exist, you can't even tell the difference in 720p and 1080p on the average sized home TV. Plus if they try to sucker people into replacing their newly purchased Blu-Ray collections there would be rage.

like it or not, it's coming. and no, people wont be buying 100" tvs to shove into their houses.

this happens w/ every generation of entertainment tech. people always say that we dont need something, but love it in the end. i remember people saying that dvds looked better than blu-ray, and SDTV looked better than HDTV. Remember those people that said HDTV hurt their eyes and it was "too life-like?"

now we have people saying that "we dont need 4k" b/c 1080p is just fine. it's the same rotating story every few years.

you all may be very correct about the lack of 4k support in the next-gen consoles. i, however, think it'd be good for MS and Sony to at least support it in some fashion.

It's not just about media, to support 4K resolution the next gen consoles would need at least sli/crossfire graphics with 2-4Gb of VRAM to power games. That would push the console price upwards of $1000.

As for media playback 720p/1080p was and had been a standard for years, 4K is in its infancy, there is no consumer grade 4K video playback system, there are no 4K video sources in digital or optical format outside of niche video, video clips and/or test footage.

More importantly there arent any 4k capable TVs that don't cost thousands and thousands, I don't see 4K taking off anything like Blu-ray did, at least not for 5-10 years when the next gen consoles will be mid to end of life.

I think it was somebody on TNT podcast who mentioned that he saw BBC's 8K Olympic broadcast and is saying people should skip 4K altogether and go straight to 8K. You can't tell pixels apart at 8K. :p