Photo

Concept for Window 8 Metro File Explorer

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:16

Adaption of Office 2013 style for File Explorer.
I did not find all icons in the Office 2013 applications – some are handmade and do not look integrated yet:

Missing icons in Office:

• Desktop
  • Downloads
  • Favorites
  • HDD
  • Netzwork
  • File properties
  • File edit
  • File history
  • File rename

WOW I love that! great work on the explorer windows. How did you extract those icons? Please i beg you share them. :DDD Is this going to be a real theme you're going to release soon?

#32 The Angry Bunny

The Angry Bunny

I am the Urban Ninja...

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:23

Even ignoring your mischaracterisation of the new Windows 8 theme, I don't see how this theme looks any better. The purple and black colour scheme is very harsh, the icons uninspired and it lacks any colour or boundaries to make it interesting.

You're honestly saying that the theme here looks better than this?

Posted Image

PS - I mean no offence or disrespect to the OP and recognise that they've put a lot of work into their concept. I just don't like it.

Honestly that's a little too top-heavy for my liking. And I really wish Microsoft would fix all the icons... I don't like how the UI is metro, but the icons are still Win7. It just doesn't match.

(And for all I know they may have already done this... I haven't kept up with Win 8 development as I should)

#33 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:31

I started a post similar to this one few days ago, but didn't receive any reply,... Anyway, here is mine:
Posted Image
I redesigned the layout in order simplify it and save space,... I know the icons aren't metro yet, but trust me, metro icons look horrible when I try to use them for this concept.

Looks great without the side black bar. And the selection idea is nice too.

#34 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:39

One of the best, so far.

#35 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:22

One of the best, so far.

I agree as well!

#36 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:40

Yeah, Windows 8 is inconsistent as hell! I actually liked the Developer Preview when it came out. It showed a lot of promise, and I really thought they would see to all this before signing off the RTM. It's really disappointing to see that they have not.

OP: A good first effort! May be you can release this as a theme for Windows 8? :)

#37 DrakeN2k

DrakeN2k

Neowinian

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:49

Wish the office team helped with UI development as they seam to do it right.

#38 hungb.nguyen

hungb.nguyen

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:31

The problem with that concept is that it defeats the purpose of focusing on the content. The left sidebar attracts attention of the user a lot more than the content itself. This is the same problem I see on honolulu110's earlier mockup where the ribbon is colored.

Looks great without the side black bar. And the selection idea is nice too.

You see, Metro design language uses white "Segoe UI" font on a dark texture background, while Aero uses black text on a light sky blue gradient background. Microsoft didn't want to implement Metro fully to the desktop, they tried to mix it with Aero in order to help preserve maximum compatibility with existing programs (http://blogs.msdn.co...experience.aspx) but they did mess up the desktop UI instead,...
It's really difficult to implement Metro design language without using dark background, the black side bar looks alike the Office 2013 start screen,... I have to admit that it attracts users' attention, but it did save space for users (by combining search-bar, navigation pane, details pane and the ribbon into one bar)
Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'm now working on a second concept which drives the users' attention to the content

#39 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:52

With all due respect, I'm with theyarecomingforyou on this one. I find the default one better than this, but nice try.

I like the Zune-inspired mockup by Sputnik8 from The Verge but I don't see it happening. It's easy (relatively) to make a mockup than to actually implement it.
Posted Image

This is just stunning

#40 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 13 August 2012 - 15:42

Why are you working on a 'Metro' explorer concept that runs in the desktop and competes with the superior Explorer? Not that I don't like some of the mockups but that circle jerk is always there. More themes, less UX concepts ppl.

#41 lol51312

lol51312

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 17:53

Where to download!

#42 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:04

There is no file explorer in "Modern UI" ? You need to do to the desktop to work with your files?

If so, wow... Another thing incomplete in Win8...

#43 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:36

There is no file explorer in "Modern UI" ? You need to do to the desktop to work with your files?

If so, wow... Another thing incomplete in Win8...

It's a change in mentality - Windows 8 doesn't want you to think about the files but about what they contain. Want to see photos? Look at them - the ones on your computer, on Facebook, on SkyDrive, they're all there. Same thing with documents, videos, contacts...
When was the last time you saw a normal person open Explorer to do something else than working with their personal files?

#44 Abyssus

Abyssus

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:46

Even ignoring your mischaracterisation of the new Windows 8 theme, I don't see how this theme looks any better. The purple and black colour scheme is very harsh, the icons uninspired and it lacks any colour or boundaries to make it interesting.

You're honestly saying that the theme here looks better than this?

Posted Image

PS - I mean no offence or disrespect to the OP and recognise that they've put a lot of work into their concept. I just don't like it.

Please tell me this is not what windows 8 explorer really looks like. How did they ship windows 8 with that unfinished theme. I mean didn't Microsoft make zune?

#45 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:51

^aside from the icons, what makes it unfinished?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!