Man orders high-definition TV, gets high-caliber gun instead

Dinner party conversation can be difficult, but for Seth Horvitz, the high-caliber assault rifle he mistakenly received through Amazon.com was the perfect centerpiece.

Horvitz was immediately suspicious of the package that arrived on his doorstep Tuesday because its size and shape didn't appear to match the flat screen television he'd ordered. Expecting a used Westinghouse 39-inch LED television that he ordered from a third party vendor on Amazon, what he found instead was a 7.6 pound, 37-inch-long Sig Sauer SIG716.

"I was just in shock and in disbelief really," Horvitz told ABC News in a phone interview.

"I flagged down the UPS guy on his way out of the building and asked him if there is anything else for me, thinking there would be multiple boxes," he said. "I thought the box could be accessories for the TV. "

But there was nothing else for Horvitz in the UPS truck, and he didn't have much time to panic - guests soon started arriving for a North African, Mediterranean-themed dinner party he was hosting.

But not even the exotic cuisine could distract from the Swiss assault rifle on display in the apartment.

"We were all kind of nervously joking about it for awhile," Horvitz said. "Everyone was asking about the gun, and they started looking up information about it."

What did they discover? It's illegal to possess assault rifles in the District of Colombia. Horvitz said as soon as he realized it was an illegal weapon, he contacted D.C. Metropolitan Police Department.

Metro Police sent down two officers, who quickly confiscated the weapon. Metro police Officer Tisha Gant said there is a pending investigation as to how the mishap occurred, and the department offered no further comment at this time.

Micael Turturro, the third-party vendor, told ABC News he would not comment on the situation until he had all the facts. Independence Gun Shop, the Duncansville, Pa., gun retail shop from which the assault rifle originated, has not responded to our request for comment.

Horvitz filed a complaint with Amazon, but the company is not responsible for shipping products from third party vendors.

There's still no word on what happened to the television, but Horvitz has been fully refunded.

"I'm not really concerned about the TV," he said. "This package with an assault weapon could have shown up on any doorstep. I hope it will be prevented in the future."

source

True, but even if I didnt have a nice enough TV already, I could sell the gun for a lot more than the 39" Westinghouse was worth and buy a MUCH better TV. That rifle is worth almost $2k

Someone is gonna have a hard time defending themselves in the woods from flying rodents and such with a HDTV when they wanted the Rifle..

• Like 3

He needs to take the seller to court to get a refund. A pretty odd mistake for any seller to make.

Odd mistake since firearms are not legally allowed to be sent direct to your doorstep...

He needs to take the seller to court to get a refund. A pretty odd mistake for any seller to make.

Yeah doubtful it was from amazon. Most likely a mix up from the shipping stand point not that seller.

Yeah, no ****. I'd sure as hell be pleased.

Seen a pic of the guy in another link to the story from another forum. Guy looks like a liberal geek, skinny guy nerd look, just going by looks alone it makes me think he was freaking out when he found the gun. I'd be jumping for joy lol.

Seen a pic of the guy in another link to the story from another forum. Guy looks like a liberal geek, skinny guy nerd look, just going by looks alone it makes me think he was freaking out when he found the gun. I'd be jumping for joy lol.

LOL, people like that getting booty like this are kinda like elderly people winning the lottery.

^ What war are you fighting in ??? :laugh:

Quite a few people use them as high-reliability hunting weapons or for long-range Marksmanship competition. It shoots the 7.62 NATO,, which is very similar to the .308 Winchester hunting cartridge. It just looks meaner.

1344558496[/url]' post='595076823']

If the remote control is to far away you could always change channel using the gun!!

There is a Simpsons episode for that (just like for anything else)!

Google the episode "Cartridge Family" :)

On topic: I don't see a problem here: A gun gives you plenty of TVs! A real surplus value!! :shifty: :laugh:

Glassed Silver:ios

LOL, people like that getting booty like this are kinda like elderly people winning the lottery.

Yeah, 'cause it's not like elderly people have kids or grandkids or deserve to have an easier life! :crazy:

Yeah, 'cause it's not like elderly people have kids or grandkids or deserve to have an easier life! :crazy:

If I was old i'd put it in my will to donate it all to charity because I wouldn't want my grand kids fighting over it. Like they are entitled to it. :)

So he's out the money for the Tv and now he has no gun since the police took it, I hope the people over at amazon took care of this guy and gave him his correct original order.