• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#181 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• 895 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:40

I enjoyed the MP beta but looking forward to giving the campaign a whirl :)

#182 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 18:35

It was actually 2 full disks. But in what can only be described as true irony, I think I got bum disks!!! :angry: My PC will not even register them as disks, and I just burned a DVD for my parents the other day, so know my drive works.

Fortunately I was able to plug in my serial number into Origin, and it recognized it right away. Currently at 30% complete with the download. Go figure.
I do not regret it at all though, got a $20 Amazon credit for getting it from them. (Y)

you know even though I only have a DVD drive on it, I had to install the AHCI drivers for my Intel chipset for it to read my Prototype 2 disc. I can't remember the last time something that dumb happened.

gold standard....hah

#183 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 18:36

MP Beta maxed out brought my machine to its knees

#184 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• 3,182 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 21:37

You "console players" do have the game already?

you know even though I only have a DVD drive on it, I had to install the AHCI drivers for my Intel chipset for it to read my Prototype 2 disc. I can't remember the last time something that dumb happened.

gold standard....hah

Sometimes is protected DVD's and some DVD-players can't handle those.
I know Plextor is kinda known for now playing protected (new) DVD's all the time....

#185 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:15

• I love the bow, normal arrows at least, wish I could carry more
  • How on earth do I activate the stalker pack code? the instructions refer to buttons that don't exist
Edit: Right, the instructions are wrong, you just plug the code into Origin.

#186 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,436 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 22:22

• I love the bow, normal arrows at least, wish I could carry more
  • How on earth do I activate the stalker pack code? the instructions refer to buttons that don't exist
Edit: Right, the instructions are wrong, you just plug the code into Origin.

Me too.. bow and normal arrows are DEADLY.. I have to always pick them up after cause without them sneaking is not much fun :)

#187 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:01

Me too.. bow and normal arrows are DEADLY.. I have to always pick them up after cause without them sneaking is not much fun :)

Yes - remember to clean up your mess after your bowkills. (Have we forgotten "First Blood - Part II" already? His main weapon could easily the direct ancestor of Prophet's Predator Bow - from the bow itself to the arrows. By retrieving the shafts, it's a lot more nerve-racking (for the opposition) than policing your brass as a sniper, as all you are leaving are corpses.)

To all the moaners and groaners over Crysis 3 being a system melter, seriously consider dropping the settings down. What do you really lose - other than bragging rights - if your system can't run this beast of a game maxed out? (Yes; I installed the game myself a half-hour ago, and I already KNEW I would NEVER be able to max it out, even if I scored every upgrade from my Dream Sheet. However, the game STILL looks gorgeous, even at 1280x720, high-end textures, medium LOD, and no AA. (Q6600, AMD HD5450, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64, 4 GB DDR2-800. Basically floor-level. Still looks jaw-dropping gorgeous. And if you still have a DX10 GPU, friggin UPGRADE it already! Your eyeballs will thank you.)

#188 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:15

I've got a GTX 570 and it defaulted everything to High for me, no idea what my frame rate is but it's fine for the most part (It fluctuates wildly when I enter a closed off hallway or so, but for the most part it's consistently stable, whether low or high)

#189 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:32

I've got a GTX 570 and it defaulted everything to High for me, no idea what my frame rate is but it's fine for the most part (It fluctuates wildly when I enter a closed off hallway or so, but for the most part it's consistently stable, whether low or high)

All that post did (and thanks for it) is re-prove my point - if you have a DX11 GPU, the game runs well to extremely well. For me specifically, the boggle factor is that I'm actually at slightly HIGHER (not lower) settings compared to a fully-upgraded (1.9 plus DX11 patch and texture set) Crysis 2 on the same hardware. For that reason, I seriously suspect some jiggering got done SOMEWHERE, as it runs largely better - not worse. Not even CLOSE to being worse. Even the hiccups I AM having are easily explained by background I/O tasks (most HDD-related, and my HDD isn't exactly the fastest of even SATA-3.0g drives). The original Crysis was a system stressor of the first order - Crysis 2 showed (with the 1.9 patch series) a taste of what DX11 can do. Crysis 3, however, is a different sort of cat from either (performance and graphically speaking) - not that it won't push the high-end GPU hardware (which tests are showing that it's perfectly capable of doing) but thanks to all the fiddley options, even low-end GPUs can still run this game shockingly well.

#190 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,436 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34

To all the moaners and groaners over Crysis 3 being a system melter, seriously consider dropping the settings down.

+1

Crysis 3 on max settings with dual GTX580s in SLI still lags a bit and the framerate is really not great..

BUT, if you turn down settings like shadows, and other effects that you really won't even notice in the game to high you get fantastic performance even on 1 GTX 580 and you really don't see the difference at all..

#191 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:50

+1

Crysis 3 on max settings with dual GTX580s in SLI still lags a bit and the framerate is really not great..

BUT, if you turn down settings like shadows, and other effects that you really won't even notice in the game to high you get fantastic performance even on 1 GTX 580 and you really don't see the difference at all..

Boz - that was largely the same sort of thing I said about the 1.9 DX11 patch series with Crysis 2.

One thing those patches for DX11 did was add the option for DX11 modes to some of the effects that are shared with DX9c - depending, naturally, on how well the GPU is structured to take advantage of them, DX11 can perform much better than DX9. (This was, in fact, something that Microsoft and, amazingly, AMD, had been trying to point out when the first DX11 runtimes wound up in the hands of developers and end-users. However, between end-user kvetching and nVidia kvetching, most game developers and publishers basically went into stall mode.)

Between Crytek (Crysis 2 and Crysis 3) and Firaxis (Civilization V) not to mention EA/Maxis (Sim City 2013), there should be PLENTY of evidence to get other developers (and the end-users) off the DX9 fence - once and for all.

#192 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:54

There's something in Crysis 3 that I'm now rather upset that the first two games (especially the original) should have had - a frigging TUTORIAL! It covers everything except the bow; while (apparently) geared toward CELL, unless you see CELL operatives in single-player with nanosuits, I would think that the tutorial would be of use more for the campaign (and CELL MP). Has anyone gone exploring in the tutorial yet?

#193 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:17

There's something in Crysis 3 that I'm now rather upset that the first two games (especially the original) should have had - a frigging TUTORIAL! It covers everything except the bow; while (apparently) geared toward CELL, unless you see CELL operatives in single-player with nanosuits, I would think that the tutorial would be of use more for the campaign (and CELL MP). Has anyone gone exploring in the tutorial yet?

Point and shoot. There, tutorial done. :rolleyes:

#194 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,434 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 13:12

Alright, so how expansive is the world for each "mission"/ area, however they break it up, and how many hours are you guys looking at for single-player?

#195 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 13:18

If I understand correctly to play the game at 1900x1200 at max detail I need 680 SLI or 690? Um, another title I'll play in about 2-3 years it seems...