If you're still thinking, just wait. :laugh:

I think a 7770 is going to quickly disappoint you. A 7850 is the lowest I'd go in ATi land these days.

And an HD7850 demands two 6-pin PCI-E plugs; the HD7770 requires a mere one. (And that is quite aside from the $100USD difference in price.)

You are thinking of the 256-bit memory bus, which makes sense for 1920x1080 @ High or Ultra - that, at least to me, defines the beginning of the high end.

However, 1920x1080 is the cap for my display, and the odds of my getting one with a taller resolution any time soon are nearly nil (as are those of my adding a display).

Therefore, my going that spendy is practically pointless.

I'm thinking more like 1680x1050 @ High (sensible, given a 23" display - a single one), and therefore the HD7770 or equivalent (three months time). If anything, I'm thinking HD8000 will launch (paper launch) *after* Crysis 3, not before.

And an HD7850 demands two 6-pin PCI-E plugs; the HD7770 requires a mere one. (And that is quite aside from the $100USD difference in price.)

You are thinking of the 256-bit memory bus, which makes sense for 1920x1080 @ High or Ultra - that, at least to me, defines the beginning of the high end.

However, 1920x1080 is the cap for my display, and the odds of my getting one with a taller resolution any time soon are nearly nil (as are those of my adding a display).

Therefore, my going that spendy is practically pointless.

I'm thinking more like 1680x1050 @ High (sensible, given a 23" display - a single one), and therefore the HD7770 or equivalent (three months time). If anything, I'm thinking HD8000 will launch (paper launch) *after* Crysis 3, not before.

7850 is one 6 pin PCI-E, the 7870 is 2x6. They're not even close to $100 apart, the 7850 1GB is less than $50, depending on the model.

Plus, the 7850 overclocks well, and is decent card in general... the 7770 had a hard time beating the card it replaced, the 6850, except for power usage.

You can get whatever you want, I'm just saying that the 7770 is already having a hard time hitting 30 fps at 1680 in some games.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait for this to come out! It looks really awesome! And plus, it's a FPS (First Person Shooter), which I love as I just love FPS's. They have a lot of action and weapons. I got one for Christmas, although it's a mixed game as it fits in multiple genres. It's called Mass Effect 3.

Pre-ordered it today, got the special edition that gives me early MP unlocks.

Now if I only played MP (Got the early unlocks in Crysis 2 as well, haven't even logged a single minute in MP though)

I can't wait for this to come out! It looks really awesome! And plus, it's a FPS (First Person Shooter), which I love as I just love FPS's. They have a lot of action and weapons. I got one for Christmas, although it's a mixed game as it fits in multiple genres. It's called Mass Effect 3.

I am not being sarcastic, but you sir/ma'am made me smile when I read this post, for many reasons. :)

Also, like FPS's, get Battlefield 3, you will not regret it.

7850 is one 6 pin PCI-E, the 7870 is 2x6. They're not even close to $100 apart, the 7850 1GB is less than $50, depending on the model.

Plus, the 7850 overclocks well, and is decent card in general... the 7770 had a hard time beating the card it replaced, the 6850, except for power usage.

You can get whatever you want, I'm just saying that the 7770 is already having a hard time hitting 30 fps at 1680 in some games.

The lowest-priced HD7850 - at Newegg, mind - is $165USD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426

Where the HD7850 excels - and I make no bones about it - is *bandwidth*, and especially compared to HD77xx.

The same is, in fact, true of GTX550Ti, let alone GTX650Ti, compared to GTX650.

GTX650Ti now undercuts HD7850 in price, but outperforms it. I'm a long-time ATI (now AMD) GPU guy; however, Ti Kepler outperforms HD7850 at the same price - unless you are an even more rampant fanboi, you can't ignore that.

Case in point - this 2GB GTX650Ti from EVGA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130840

Despite HD7850 having more bandwidth, this card eats its lunch - and at the same price.

I am willing to hazard a guess that the same games that you complain that HD77xx struggles to hit 30 fps in are games that use lots of GPU bandwidth. Name those games - and go back and check if any or all are GPU bandwidth pigs.

I am willing to hazard a guess that the same games that you complain that HD77xx struggles to hit 30 fps in are games that use lots of GPU bandwidth. Name those games - and go back and check if any or all are GPU bandwidth pigs.

I maintain that if you're buying a card, today, and you want to keep it for more than a year, a 7770 would be a silly choice.

crysis%203%20h%201920.png

The lowest-priced HD7850 - at Newegg, mind - is $165USD. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161426

Where the HD7850 excels - and I make no bones about it - is *bandwidth*, and especially compared to HD77xx.

The same is, in fact, true of GTX550Ti, let alone GTX650Ti, compared to GTX650.

GTX650Ti now undercuts HD7850 in price, but outperforms it. I'm a long-time ATI (now AMD) GPU guy; however, Ti Kepler outperforms HD7850 at the same price - unless you are an even more rampant fanboi, you can't ignore that.

Case in point - this 2GB GTX650Ti from EVGA: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130840

Despite HD7850 having more bandwidth, this card eats its lunch - and at the same price.

I'd like what you're smoking, the 650Ti is not anywhere near the 7850. Nvidia has some competitively priced GPUs, 650Ti ain't one of them.

I maintain that if you're buying a card, today, and you want to keep it for more than a year, a 7770 would be a silly choice.

crysis%203%20h%201920.png

And look at all the cards at the top of the chart.

The one consistent feature they all have is gobs of GPU bandwidth.

The HD77xx (and HD57xx, for that matter) have some of the lowest bandwidth numbers in the entire chart.

Further, the chart-toppers also have high price tags - not one of the Top Ten is priced under $200USD.

Even most of the middle of the chart has consistently remained at or near that $200USD price.

Basically, Crysis 3 (in MP Alpha form) is a GPU bandwidth pig.

However, the bottom of the chart does show a surprise - the GTX550Ti loses (albeit barely) to the HD7750 - which makes no sense for two reasons; the GTX550Ti has more bandwidth, and the HD7750 relies only on the PCIe bus for power (and costs less besides). Care to explain that? (Or even the HD7770 beating both the HD6790 and HD6850 - two GPUs that trump the HD7770 in bandwidth; that is also rather difficult to explain.)

And games change from Alpha to beta - Crysis 2 was plenty of evidence for that.

Seriously, we will need a re-testing with closer-to-release code to see if the chart holds up.

this is sad, how does a hd6990 perform so poorly under such gfx settings?

I got into the Crysis 3 MP alpha and it didn't support GTX680 SLI, so performance was considerably behind that of Crysis 2. I imagine it's the same situation for Crossfire support, as a dual-GPU card shouldn't be outperformed by its single GPU counterpart. Performance will be much better for launch.

I'd like what you're smoking, the 650Ti is not anywhere near the 7850. Nvidia has some competitively priced GPUs, 650Ti ain't one of them.

You are comparing 1 GB vs. 1 GB - and at that configuration point, you're right; however, 1 GB GTX650Ti costs less - not more - than HD7850.

Was a 2 GB GTX650Ti even tested?

A 2 GB GTX660Ti *was* tested - where does GTX660 trump GTX650Ti, all else being equal?

Would you stop with your bandwidth hard-on, there's a lot more to a GPU that defines performance.

The top of the chart that was posted says otherwise - however, the bottom of the SAME chart agrees with your statement.

You are comparing 1 GB vs. 1 GB - and at that configuration point, you're right; however, 1 GB GTX650Ti costs less - not more - than HD7850.

Was a 2 GB GTX650Ti even tested?

A 2 GB GTX660Ti *was* tested - where does GTX660 trump GTX650Ti, all else being equal?

*sigh* Here's a review. You need to understand that more memory DOES NOT increase GPU performance, it just prevents a bottleneck at higher resolutions and texture qualities. For example, the difference of ~10% you see between the two 650Ti cards in that review is thanks to the higher frequencies, not memory.

I got into the Crysis 3 MP alpha and it didn't support GTX680 SLI, so performance was considerably behind that of Crysis 2. I imagine it's the same situation for Crossfire support, as a dual-GPU card shouldn't be outperformed by its single GPU counterpart. Performance will be much better for launch.

hopefully, however crytek seems to make the games more optimized for nvidia graphics card than amd

Basically, Crysis 3 (in MP Alpha form) is a GPU bandwidth pig.

As will all games from here on out be. We can expect a new line of consoles soon, and graphics improvements to go right along with them.

*sigh* Here's a review. You need to understand that more memory DOES NOT increase GPU performance, it just prevents a bottleneck at higher resolutions and texture qualities. For example, the difference of ~10% you see between the two 650Ti cards in that review is thanks to the higher frequencies, not memory.

And did you notice that only the GTX560Ti and GTX580 had better framerates among the GPUs with less RAM? (Both also had greater bandwidth across the memory bus - which Fermi required more so than Kepler.)

Every other GPU that outran the ZOTAC had either the same amount of RAM or higher - so all that extra RAM has another purpose in a single-GPU rig.

I'm NOT saying that large amounts of RAM is a be-all/end-all - otherwise it would make a difference with the 2 GB DDR3 GPUs (and it typically makes zero difference whatever there).

However, in the case of GPUs with memory buses of greater than 128-bit (including those odd-size 192-bit or 384-bit buses that nVidia has been known to use in their Ti and other higher-end cards), they benefit from those larger RAM loadouts, where the 128-bit bus of midrange cards generally don't.

And while a large number of games are indeed becoming GPU pigs (I mentioned Civ V before as an RTS that trods that turf), you can't live there as a developer unless you plan on ignoring consoles - therefore, expect Crysis 3 - a multiplatform title - to chop down some of that piggishness (and doubtless hork off a LOT of high-end PC gamers yet again).