New Windows 8 RTM Feature - Show Metro Style App Sizes

win8

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:30

More and more new features in Windows 8 RTM and not in the release preview are being revealed. Today, I want to talk about a new neat little handy feature that is included in the RTM version of Windows 8. It is a new addition to the Metro Style control panel in Windows 8 that will let you see how much space is left on your hard drive AND how much each metro style app is occupying in your hard drive. I am sure many of you will find this feature a very welcoming one, as in the past, it was quite hard to see how much disk space these apps were using without actually examining the app directories manually.

To activate it, go to the General section of the Metro Style control panel. Or you can directly search for it from the start screen by typing relevant words like, "app size", "size", "space", "disk space", etc. You will need the RTM version of Windows 8 (or later) to be able to do this!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:36

Cool. I wished they merged all features from classic control panel to Metro control Panel and remove the classic control panel all together.

It will need another re write.

#3 nMIK-3

nMIK-3

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:40

Nice addition. Does it let you uninstall Metro apps from this list as well?

Or still the only way to uninstall a Metro app is from the Start Screen?

#4 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:42

The only way to uninstall Metro Style apps to right-click them from the start screen (or all apps menu) and clicking Uninstall. You can't uninstall apps from that list in the control panel.

#5 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:23

Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully this feature will make its way over to Windows Phone as well.

#6 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:10

Can you specify the installation path for metro apps yet? Because it's massively stupid not to be able to do that in RP, and really honks me off, big time.

#7 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:34

Cool. I wished they merged all features from classic control panel to Metro control Panel and remove the classic control panel all together.

They could do that and then all the desktop users would moan about it in the end. Anyways, I more or less agree, and I think they'll add more to the metro control panel as time goes on but if they leave out more of the advanced stuff then we won't see the desktop control panel going away anytime soon.

#8 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:47

Can you specify the installation path for metro apps yet? Because it's massively stupid not to be able to do that in RP, and really honks me off, big time.

Absolutely this ^^^

I do not want everything on my C: drive, i want to put things where i want to put them.

#9 Descartes

Descartes

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:53

I won't try to discuss whether this is a good idea or not, but one thing I am sure of is that it'd cause a massive uproar.

#10 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:55

The only way to uninstall Metro Style apps to right-click them from the start screen (or all apps menu) and clicking Uninstall. You can't uninstall apps from that list in the control panel.

It works this way in WP7 as well only instead of the doubleclick you just hold your finger down for a couple of seconds.

#11 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:57

So they break their compatibility with software made for the previous edition of Windows just because you're mad that there 2 menus?

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:44

I won't try to discuss whether this is a good idea or not, but one thing I am sure of is that it'd cause a massive uproar.

True, but the Control Panel is definitely in need of a major overhaul. Microsoft keeps adding new features and putting them in random locations. For instance, Storage Spaces, Power Options and File History are listed under "System and Security" - it doesn't strike me as logical.

That said, Metro probably isn't the answer until Microsoft allows Metro apps to be run in a window (which there really is no reason to disallow) - then a new Control Panel would be tolerable as it wouldn't fill your entire screen. Same with Metro games. Why does Solitaire require me to run it in full screen? It's a backwards move.

#13 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:58

True, but the Control Panel is definitely in need of a major overhaul. Microsoft keeps adding new features and putting them in random locations. For instance, Storage Spaces, Power Options and File History are listed under "System and Security" - it doesn't strike me as logical.

That said, Metro probably isn't the answer until Microsoft allows Metro apps to be run in a window (which there really is no reason to disallow) - then a new Control Panel would be tolerable as it wouldn't fill your entire screen. Same with Metro games. Why does Solitaire require me to run it in full screen? It's a backwards move.

That actually sounds logical? Power Options also shows up in Hardware&Sound but the other two are not really hardware related.

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 August 2012 - 21:29

Absolutely this ^^^

I do not want everything on my C: drive, i want to put things where i want to put them.

You can, though you'd have to make the change right after you install Windows, move your "user folders" to a different location. Change the default path for it and then that should do the trick. I haven't tried this but I'm pretty sure all Metro apps install to your User folder, though MS probably has the exact folder hidden or something.

#15 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 21:45

You can, though you'd have to make the change right after you install Windows, move your "user folders" to a different location. Change the default path for it and then that should do the trick. I haven't tried this but I'm pretty sure all Metro apps install to your User folder, though MS probably has the exact folder hidden or something.

Seeing as these apps are technically installed similar to how mobile apps are installed, what seems to be needed here is the Android-esque "Move to SD" feature, where it would be slightly more robust and allowing moving to any non-primary partition.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tweak somewhere that could make this happen, and with the rising popularity of SSDs, it'd be a nice addition.

Though, personally, for 240 GB drives and up, I don't think it's such a big concern. I WANT my apps launching from the fastest drive I have (usually the primary drive). I'll go out of my way to store data elsewhere, since that's by far the real offender when it comes to taking up space.