Removing the Desktop from Windows 8?

TL&DR - Is there an option for Windows 8 to disable the Desktop app and have a full Metro only experiance (much like RT) ?

I've seen loads of threads about how to add the start menu experiance back to windows 8 and booting directly into Metro setc, and I've struggled to like Metro myself so I fully understand where people are coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand reasons for Microsoft's need to have to create a eco system based around it to survive in the long run as technology progresses etc, and that's not the issue here.

I'm actually thinking it might be useful for the kids, Metro (Windows 8 style) apps are by their very nature sandboxed and pretty much makes the PC resistant to kids messing with settings and/or installing bogus software... That is until they manage to find the desktop and we're back to having to clear up after their mess again.

I'm not looking to censor the kids, I don't think thats something that should happen, but I would like to not have to clear up after them and of course Metro is the way forward if we like it or not.

So, is there a way to turn the classic desktop access off? has anyone found any windows 8 group policy settings or is it even possible?

I know its a strange requrest for most of you, but the kids are still quite young and they only really use the basics and have no need for a full desktop, yet and chances are by the time they do, Metro will be mature enough by then anyway.

They are way too closely intermingled.

I think this too ^^

There are links within Metro UI that open normal classic explorer, disabling it somehow would doubtless cause many bluescreens

Right now the most you can do I think is just unpin the desktop tile from the start screen and delete the Desktop shortcut from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

You;d still be able to get back into it using keyboard shortcuts or if another program throws you back into it, but there'd be no way to accidentally click back into it from the start screen.

(Although, FYI, Windows RT does have the desktop in it too).

TL&DR - Is there an option for Windows 8 to disable the Desktop app and have a full Metro only experiance (much like RT) ?

RT does have the desktop ;). Why do people assume it won't have the desktop?

Much like it, as in on ARM you can't install any other classic desktop apps.

I was actually hoping that there was some provisions for admins to add security policy settings to restrict access to things such as the control panel, the actual desktop. restrictions like that can be done in past windows with policy editor. I just thought that there might have been an easier way to do it since Microsoft is pushing for Metro so hard.

Have to admit until you said that I was under the impression that RT was a Metro only experience, you are right :)

It should be though, imo

If you wait until Windows 9, OP, you will get your wish. Just wait awhile after release and see what kind of hacks people come up with on 8.

I don't think Windows 9 will be a Metro only OS, for the same reason we don't have a 64bit only Windows client OS yet, too many programs still need classic ui, too many programs are 32bit only

In Windows 8, there is the new Child Account feature. I'm not sure what settings you get to lock it down, but you can probably limit them to only use metro apps.

I'm actually surprised that you CAN'T disable the desktop at this point... I mean, they've essentially reduced the desktop to a relatively un-necessary APP... Which makes it something almost entirely user initiated, like WMP, or other 3rd party apps... In fact, I'm not a fan of the desktop anymore, simply because using the start screen and metro apps, bouncing back and forth between metro and win7 style desktop totally takes away from the metro experience, whether or not I truly like it...

I hardly even have to USE metro.... but I can't get rid of it completely, just the same as I can't get rid of the desktop app. Its really detrimental both to die-hard "desktop" fans and "metro ui" fans as well.

You just can't remove the Desktop. The Start Screen is a layer above the desktop, it is not the way around.

Well that's not true... The desktop is not even loaded until the first time you go there (unless on multi-Mon).

Well I know we are just talking semantics here but that is what happened when I experimented with transparent .pngs for the start-screen:

9LfL9.jpg

So it seems like the start-screen is just some sort of overlay for the desktop however it might aswell work without it, I don't know the technical details^^

• Like 1

Well I know we are just talking semantics here but that is what happened when I experimented with transparent .pngs for the start-screen:

9LfL9.jpg

So it seems like the start-screen is just some sort of overlay for the desktop however it might aswell work without it, I don't know the technical details^^

Do you mind explaining how you went about this? I'd be interested in doing something like this and having Metro operate as a pseudo-OS X dashboard.

9LfL9.jpg

I had wondered about this since you can't exit the desktop once you go into it. I would also like to know how you did this.

Do you mind explaining how you went about this? I'd be interested in doing something like this and having Metro operate as a pseudo-OS X dashboard.

Well I can't say how it will behave in the RTM as I don't have access to it but if I remember correctly I basically only replaced the start-screen background I had set inside imageres.dll with a transparent 1x1 pixel .png. I can post detailed steps if you want though be aware this caused massive UI and animation glitches :pinch:

Whoa I could have figured this causes a bit of interest, it would be nice if someone could test if the glitches also occur in the RTM or maybe someone can buy me a TechNet subscription :p

Well I can't say how it will behave in the RTM as I don't have access to it but if I remember correctly I basically only replaced the start-screen background I had set inside imageres.dll with a transparent 1x1 pixel .png. I can post detailed steps if you want though be aware this caused massive UI and animation glitches :pinch:

That would be helpful, thanks. I'd be willing to try it out when the RTM becomes available. :)

Whoa I could have figured this causes a bit of interest, it would be nice if someone could test if the glitches also occur in the RTM or maybe someone can buy me a TechNet subscription :p

Just download one of the leaked versions if you want it just for testing.

Can you tell me how you got that custom clock in the sys tray.

Well I might purchase one of these upgrade licenses if I can get one of these 40? deals but for now I'm not interested in Windows 8 :) As for the clock, all I did was hiding the normal Windows clock and place a Rainmeter clock set as "Always on Top" in its place^^

Now for the tweak, keep in mind I only tested this in the Release Preview so I have no idea how or if that even still works in the RTM especially since it was already buggy in the RP so you are doing this on your own risk and don't blame me if you Windows stops working, your PC blows up or if you turn into a vampire as a result of this :p

1: Install ResHacker: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

2: Go to C:\Windows\System32 and take ownership of Imageres.dll

3: Right-click said file and click "Open in Resource Hacker" or something like that

4: In the ResHacker window go into the PNG folder and locate the background you are currently using and extract it to your Desktop (in there are many files depending on your resolution and color so you have to try around a bit till you find the right one)

5: After you found your background use GIMP or any other imaging program to create a empty/transparent .png in exact the same size

6: Replace the original image with your empty image in ResHacker

7: Save the file as imageres.dll on your Desktop!!!

8: Close ResHacker and go to your System32 folder, rename imageres.dll to imageresbackup.dll

9: Copy the imageres.dll from your Desktop to System32

10: Log-off and back on and go to your Desktop and then open the Start-Screen afterwards to see the magic or catastrophe :p

Note: Should anything go horribly wrong in the RTM, open up a CMD with administrative rights somehow (Start-Screen search, Task Manager etc.) and write the following:

1: cd C:\Windows\System32

2: del imageres.dll

3: ren imagesresbackup.dll imageres.dll

4: shutdown.exe -r -t 00

That should restore everything we did if my DOS knowledge didn't get rusty :pinch:

• Like 1

9LfL9.jpg

WOW!! Now that actually looks useful!