Photo

USB Write Blocker : Makes any USB drive Write protected.

hardware

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:22

Hello,

From my reading of the article, it appears this vulnerability occurs at the a USB flash drive is enumerated, e.g., identified by the system. I do not think protecting against writes to USB flash drives would, in this case, have any effect, since the operation occurs when the drive is read from and not written to. What this attack actually reminds me of are similar exploits which were (or are) used against FireWire.

Your point about trusting external media is quite valid, and users with earlier versions of Microsoft Windows should verify AutoRun is turned off and fully patched. While that certainly won't stop all attacks, it will, at least, improve security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I know the vulnerability does not care if the USB device is write protected or not. By write protection I meant it would stop the USB device from getting infected on the customers machine in the first place.. if that was possible.

#47 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:41

Other way around, the USB device isn't what's being attacked, it's what's doing the attacking, they adjusted what information the chipset sends to the host to exploit a flaw in how it parsed that information.

#48 Ace

Ace

Neowinian

Posted 18 March 2013 - 00:09

How about a better idea and NOT use USB drives in infected machines. Burn a CD with whatever utilities that you need. ZERO chance of infection.

Better still, buy an ISOStick or Zalman's ZM-VE300 HDD enclosure. Both have write protect switches.

#49 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:14

Better still, buy an ISOStick or Zalman's ZM-VE300 HDD enclosure. Both have write protect switches.

OMG Thank you for letting me know about the ISOstick. It looks AMAZING! Ordered one!

Other way around, the USB device isn't what's being attacked, it's what's doing the attacking, they adjusted what information the chipset sends to the host to exploit a flaw in how it parsed that information.

Correct. I didn't say it was. What I meant was, if it was at all possible for a virus to modify the chips firmware to make a stick which would attack, then a write protection should might be useful on it to stop it from modified.

#50 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:55

Hello,

Kanguru is one of the few USB flash drive manufacturers that still makes models with a hardware write-protect switch.

Of course, you could also use an SDHC Card (which has a hardware write-protection switch) in a card reader, but from looking at this Wikipedia article, it's not clear to me how permanent setting the switch is on an SDHC Card, as it appears there may be a way to bypass it. The article is a little ambiguous about the details, though.

There are also several programs one can run which place a "garbled" entry for an AUTORUN.INF file on a USB flash drive. While I do not know for certain how effective this is in the real world, as anything which is done in software can be undone in software, it should prove effective against at least some worms which spread via USB drive in that fashion. Both BitDefender and Panda Security have free programs which perform this operation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#51 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:14

My isostick video

http://www.neowin.ne...-configuration/

Or if you just want to watch it here

#52 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:29

To be honest, most people don't even care if they stick their _____ into an infested _________. 

Sadly that's true in so many ways.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!