Posted 13 August 2012 - 14:13
SmartGlass + PlayTo as it stands today is ****ed up for playback of my own media. It is so convoluted to play an album that I already own in my local collection that I don't see the purpose besides selling stuff on Microsoft's store.
For example try this,
1. Open Xbox music (in Windows 8 - see?, this is already confused branding)
2. Scroll left to music, then click on "my music" which is entirely not obvious.
3. In the flat listed interface, try to look for the album I want to play.
4. Realized that I can use search instead, bring out the search charm
5. Search for the album name
6. It brings up all results including the result in the music store
7. Filter result to my collection
8. Click on the album to play
9. The ****ing stupid thing plays 30sec previews from the store even though I have that album in my collection.
10. At this point this has little to do with SmartGlass but I can't see them improving if they keep on creating convoluted methods for simple tasks.
I think the team that designed the music/video apps in Windows 8 is the same team that destroyed the Netflix app UI on Xbox in last fall's update. The story is not much different in the latest dashboard beta.
There is good metro and I love it as it stands in Windows Phone and some places in Windows 8. and THEN there is ****ed up dumb implementation of metro in places such as the Xbox * apps in Windows 8.