Linux & My Secondary NTFS Drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 18 August 2012 - 18:41

So, in your opinion, what is the advantage to me enabling and using ACLs on one of my Debian systems versus sticking with classic *nix permissions?

Also, since ACL support seems to be mostly a file-system thing, can I use it on a Debian GNU/BSD system similarly to how I would on a Debian GNU/Linux system?

#17 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:42

The advantage is that you can set specific permissions for different users on files.

Now, you might or might not actually need that. If you can't think of any obvious advantage then you probably don't need ACLs.

#18 OP joe_banana

joe_banana

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:07

Thanks all for the help.. Wubi is not an option why run linux on top of windows? I guess Live CD or USB is a better option for that.

So im going with Debian minimal instead, one of my reason im going with Linux is speed and Debian for its slow stable updates and XFCE for my DE.. But im still keeping Windows XP still no replacement for my Foobar Dolby w/ headphone wrapper setup.

#19 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:21

why run linux on top of windows?

Because you said -- " Important Files" Wubi would run inside a compressed file instead of changing the actual contents of the drive

To note Live runs just in memory which performs slower
while wubi runs inside two compressed files.
One for the OS and one for a Swap disk.

It only runs inside that directory that it is installed into.

With Live it will load and run only in memory-- and upon each reboot or setup -- you will have to re-do your settings...such as for your sound.
Unlike the Wubi where it works just like an install.

With a live linux -- you would have to re-setup your video drivers and sound drivers each time you reboot.
Plus any other customization you have done. with the Wubi it retains that.

#20 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:39

With Live it will load and run only in memory-- and upon each reboot or setup -- you will have to re-do your settings...such as for your sound.
Unlike the Wubi where it works just like an install.

With a live linux -- you would have to re-setup your video drivers and sound drivers each time you reboot.
Plus any other customization you have done. with the Wubi it retains that.

that is unless you have a persistent live copy on a flash drive (which will still run slower than being installed on the hard drive)