Technet/MSDN members, post your excitement for RTM in 3 days here!

I was also thinking of renewing my technet but haven't yet as the retail price of windows 8 is going to be so low, also my RTM is activated, only thing is that it's pro and doesn't have WMC. I might renew because I need WMC on my HTPC, also getting Office 2013 later would be nice .

I don't know if I should subscribe to Technet and get it right away when is available or wait to Preorder it and get it October 26th since is quite awhile away and dont want to really wait.

^ Search around, but Technet isn't a place to get things cheaply, you still have to evaluate things etc.

So if you NEED to do some evaulations etc, then you won't really be bothered about a small discount would you :p

So if you have TechNet standard or Professional does it say "For Evaluation Purposes only" on the desktop when you install Windows from there?

Not sure what it means to be able to evaluate the software.

*I've never had a TechNet sub, but Microsoft did give us a MSDN subscription some years ago.

No, it doesn't. There's no real way to enforce the terms of the Technet license; BUT, I did hear not too long ago (unconfirmed), that once your subscription lapses, you won't be able to use your key to reinstall.

No, it doesn't. There's no real way to enforce the terms of the Technet license; BUT, I did hear not too long ago (unconfirmed), that once your subscription lapses, you won't be able to use your key to reinstall.

Thanks, I have heard similar..

If I remember correctly, the day Windows 7/2008R2 hit technet/msdn I was getting pretty good download rates, wondering how that will go tonight.

Allthough I already have the "leaked" iso's for Win8, server 2012 and Vs2012, going to still download the iso's from msdn tonight.

It doesn't say it on the desktop, but part of the Terms & Conditions is to evaulate software only.

I'm with you, I'm not sure what they mean by Evaulate, as Microsoft have VHD's you can download with all the OS's + Software which is valid for 180 days which surely is enough to evaluate?

I have Technet, so I evaluate ;)

I've never considered virtual machines to be 100% suitable for full evaluation. You just don't get the same performance as you would with a native install.

You'll be pleasently suprised, aslong as the spec of your server is man enough to handle it, and have hyper v and such like you'll be fine.

I prefer physical but Virtual is great too

TBH, I don't really like the concept of virtualisation; not for production systems.

If you've got a bunch of virtual servers all sitting on one physical server and something in the hardware fails, you lose ALL your virtual servers. That's fine for general use, but no good at all for business critical systems.

So, can someone please confirm, albeit we are now limited to just 2 or 3 keys each, do these keys still activate 10 times each? If that is the case, I think that is still quite reasonable.

So, can someone please confirm, albeit we are now limited to just 2 or 3 keys each, do these keys still activate 10 times each? If that is the case, I think that is still quite reasonable.

It's 10 or 20 per key yeah, I can't seem to find where I read it though :s

I'm not particularly excited for Windows 8 RTM. I'll test it, sure. Windows 7 will remain the main OS on my private machine though,

It's 10 or 20 per key yeah, I can't seem to find where I read it though :s

Well it used to be on the TechNet website, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. It just says that keys cannot be activated unlimited times. But doesn't state how many times it can.

Dang, you know when you're a geek when you just spent ?164 just to get early access to the RTM.... I know that in a year if my subscription expired I would no longer be able to re-use the keys, but would Windows give me "This version of Windows is not genuine" errors?

Why would it? You only can't re-use the keys.

[edit]

Then again http://technet.micro...s/cc294422.aspx.

It says the following though, but can't really find what will happen to the sofware which is already installed up and running.

Using the software and other benefits

• Using software. Your use of the software is subject to the license terms provided with the software, such as click-through license terms, except for any changes to those terms that are provided in this agreement.
    • You may not use the software if you do not have an active subscription.
    • You may install and use the software on your devices only to evaluate the software.
    • You may not use the software in a live operating environment, in a staging environment, or with data that has not been backed up.
    • You may not use the software for software development or in an application development environment.
    • The components of each software program are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.
    • You may not share, transfer, resell, or assign your subscription or the software.

It only states you should stop using the software when the subscription has ended and you should destroy all made copies. uhuh :rofl:

[/edit]

TBH, I don't really like the concept of virtualisation; not for production systems.

If you've got a bunch of virtual servers all sitting on one physical server and something in the hardware fails, you lose ALL your virtual servers. That's fine for general use, but no good at all for business critical systems.

Because good business practice will tell you that you don't have everything on one single physical server. You need to have redundancy. A single physical server should never be used at max capacity, in order to do load balancing when another physical server crash. That's why you have vMotion in VmWare.