• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:38

How do I remove these tablet apps from Windows 8? I'm using Windows on a workstation and everytime I open audio/video/image it opens on full screen tablet app. I know I can set the default program but I would also like to completely remove these.

#2 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Microsoft Lumia 1020

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:43

Lol, right click on it and press uninstall... Was that so hard to figure out? And FYI they are not "tablet apps"

#3 OP Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:47

Lol, right click on it and press uninstall... Was that so hard to figure out? And FYI they are not "tablet apps"

I thought it only removes it from the start screen?

Well, they are. Apps are on full screen with huge buttons, those are intended for touchscreen.

#4 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Microsoft Lumia 1020

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:01

Well, they are. Apps are on full screen with huge buttons, those are intended for touchscreen.

No they are not, they work perfectly on non-touchscreen computers and will eventually replace desktop apps (for casual users).

#5 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:02

I thought it only removes it from the start screen?

Modern (Metro) apps are shown in full screen.... desktop apps are shown either full or window.

If you don't want modern apps, then uninstall them or leave them alone... use desktop apps from now on.

To change default settings... which you want to choose another app as default... go to default programs

#6 OP Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:21

No they are not, they work perfectly on non-touchscreen computers and will eventually replace desktop apps (for casual users).

Yes they work but are hard to use compared to desktop apps because the UI is designed for small screens and big fingers not mouse and keyboard. It's like using a Media Center with mouse and not remote.

With the touchscreen apps you continually have to move mouse from one side of the screen to another because those are on full screen. It's really hard on big monitor with high resolution.

#7 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:24

what a pointless argument. If you don't like that side of Windows 8, you really shouldn't have upgraded. Metro is very, very, very well documented on people's either for or against opinions. You should have read about it before upgrading.

#8 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:27

Either you uninstall them or just change file associations.

what a pointless argument. If you don't like that side of Windows 8, you really shouldn't have upgraded. Metro is very, very, very well documented on people's either for or against opinions. You should have read about it before upgrading.

and you're reaction is, I think, too much. I don't think this is one of those "Windows 8 sucks, blah blah" thread. He's merely asking how to remove Metro apps.

#9 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30

what a pointless argument. If you don't like that side of Windows 8, you really shouldn't have upgraded.

there is a lot more to win 8 than just apps, if someone doesnt want to use them then they dont have to.

#10 OP Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:33

Got them uninstalled, it resets associations to normal Windows programs. I should have tried it before asking but I just figured that removing those from start screen doesn't remove them from Windows, thats usually been the case with Windows.

Thank you :)

#11 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:58

Just associate them with Media player. No need to uninstall anything.

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:18

Just associate them with Media player. No need to uninstall anything.

This, you don't have to use Metro programmes, just like you don't have to use WMP if you've got iTunes installed. Same procedure.

#13 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 13:19

I really wish 8 was a little more smart in the ways it handled files. If I open a file on the desktop, it should open using a desktop app, and If I open a file in Metro Start it then can open in those apps. If I'm on the desktop, I really don't want to jump into a full screen experience every time I open a picture. Also, the Start Videos app doesn't even support all video formats that WMP does. Certain video files will fail to open unless I manually set them to WMP.

#14 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 13:28

I really wish 8 was a little more smart in the ways it handled files. If I open a file on the desktop, it should open using a desktop app, and If I open a file in Metro Start it then can open in those apps. If I'm on the desktop, I really don't want to jump into a full screen experience every time I open a picture. Also, the Start Videos app doesn't even support all video formats that WMP does. Certain video files will fail to open unless I manually set them to WMP.

how wierd, i oopen a photo from the desktop and it opens the picture previewer like it did on 7 open it in metro and it runs a metro app same with video and music if done form desktop mine opens a desktop app not a fullscreen metro app. all completly seperate

#15 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 14:42

To get back to the actual question, there should be two options when you right-click on a tile for an immersive app: Unpin from Start, and Uninstall. Unpin from Start just removes the app's tile from Start, as you say; Uninstall removes the app from the computer.

In addition, you can change the default program association as before through Default Programs in the Control Panel (do a Settings search (Search charm -> Settings or Windows key + W) for "default"). You should also get a little pop-up notification the first time you open file of some type, offering to change the defaults.