MetroIRC: a beautiful IRC client for Windows

This is definitely NOT correct. See this post on how to do background tasks and their limitations: http://blogs.msdn.co...ound-tasks.aspx

Skype for Metro runs in the background, so it definitely works. There is how to do it.

Well, I -did- say I wasn't sure. Haven't had much time for a concerted look into the WinRT framework as yet, but I had read that apps go to a suspended state when not foremost. Thanks for the link correcting that misconception.

You're right, I missed that you did say you weren't sure. I think the tone I used wasn't what I meant to convey. Sorry about that.

There's nothing about the design that needs to be Metro and limit it to full screen. It's does not look like a Modern UI with an interface that is touch friendly (though it may be). There's not much in the way of graphic cues to quickly find stuff, it just looks like a normal IRC client now limited to full screen. And it just looks awfully busy. Doesn't mean it's bad.

I'm not into twitter but the Metrotwit link you posted does look like Modern UI/App.

I came up with a slightly cleaner design for this an hour or two after I originally saw this topic but I haven't had any time to implement it - maybe if someone else has some free time to play with it they can bring it too life? :p

h0Rn0.png

• Like 3

It is nice looking but not as hot as you neobond <3

Get a room you two.

On topic, I'm waiting for people to come in and scream how there's too much white in that screen Johnny. I have never personally used IRC with a white background, I can't. I've got mIRC/UPP going with the old X-chat color scheme (black background, white text with other text colors for different things).

Get a room you two.

On topic, I'm waiting for people to come in and scream how there's too much white in that screen Johnny. I have never personally used IRC with a white background, I can't. I've got mIRC/UPP going with the old X-chat color scheme (black background, white text with other text colors for different things).

I've never actually used a proper IRC program before - I've only ever used Opera's built in IRC and that's white just because it's a web browser. I have no idea what a normal IRC program even looks like :p

I've never actually used a proper IRC program before - I've only ever used Opera's built in IRC and that's white just because it's a web browser. I have no idea what a normal IRC program even looks like :p

Here's HexChat on Win8:

post-1302-0-56946000-1345714759_thumb.pn

I came up with a slightly cleaner design for this an hour or two after I originally saw this topic but I haven't had any time to implement it - maybe if someone else has some free time to play with it they can bring it too life? :p

[snipped]

I like the new messages count, I'll do that. But the rest is a bit too...line-less for me.

I planned on releasing a new version soon, which works on .NET 4.5 only (no XP). Is .NET 4.5 already on Windows Update ?

My current installer doesn't have a bootstrapper to install .NET, so I can't use the automatic update method to give a version that won't work on most computers.

@Neobond: The leaks should be fixed in the next version. There still is one small leak, but I can't control that - if you quit all the channels, there's a high probability that some users will stay in memory. But that memory will be freed next time you open a channel, so it's no big deal.

I like the new messages count, I'll do that. But the rest is a bit too...line-less for me.

I planned on releasing a new version soon, which works on .NET 4.5 only (no XP). Is .NET 4.5 already on Windows Update ?

My current installer doesn't have a bootstrapper to install .NET, so I can't use the automatic update method to give a version that won't work on most computers.

It's already out? http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=29909 update already :p

@Neobond: The leaks should be fixed in the next version. There still is one small leak, but I can't control that - if you quit all the channels, there's a high probability that some users will stay in memory. But that memory will be freed next time you open a channel, so it's no big deal.

...Why don't you do your own garbage collection then, instead of letting the Framework do it?

...Why don't you do your own garbage collection then, instead of letting the Framework do it?

It's not a GC issue, the GC is doing fine.

But WPF keeps strong references to old collections just in case they update, and only cleans its list of collections when you add one.

• 2 months later...

hi people, can we suggest a few things that would add to the metroirc's functionality/usability, id like to be able to ignore and/or devoice/voice, i'm an op in a channel. The buttons of xchat are really great. Maybe a way to use scripts, like a temperature converter. MetroIRC looks good so far. :)

• 3 months later...

HexChat has an irritating bug in that whenever it's restarted it will show the connection dialogue AND the server list on startup, even if you check the box otherwise.

I really hate how this doesn't hide the password from visibility when you type it in.

Hi Everyone,

This is interesting - I have not used IRC for over 10 years when it was entertainment to pass low times at work. IF one was looking to stay up-to-date with current IT trends etc - How would one deploy IRC for this?

• 3 months later...

HexChat has an irritating bug in that whenever it's restarted it will show the connection dialogue AND the server list on startup, even if you check the box otherwise.

I don't have this issue at all with hexchat on my laptop (ubuntu) or my desktop (windows 8)....

Sounds like a PEBKAC issue sir, it works flawlessly for a few thousand of us.