iPad Mini - Would you?

Let me start of by saying the following

-- I don't care for any other tablets etc, I'm only interested in the iPad, so yes I'm being a sheep bahh ram you --

So if the rumours are correct and week by week it's looking more likely, would you buy an Apple iPad mini?

For me, if the price is circa ?200 then I will.

I really love the iPad and want one, but don't kow if it's use it enough to justify near ?400, so the iPad mini would be ideal, then if I really get on, I'll pass the Mini onto someone else then buy an iPad

Are you considering buying one, or put off by something?

The lack of apps supporting the screen resolution and dpi would worry me...

Either, same resolution (1024x768?) as iPad/iPad 2 and everything will be smaller making some apps unusable, or a new res (800x600 or 1600x1200 retina) which won't support any of the apps until they have been updated.

I've already got an iPad mini...I call it an iPod Touch. :p

Personally I'm not bothering with any tablets at the moment. I've got a laptop and a smartphone, I don't need an in-between device as well.

Thats a valid point about the appls and resolutions didn't really think about that!

@intrinsica, thats the thing, do you ever think "would I use an ipad..." sometimes when I'm linging on my sofa watching TV or so, if it's boring I sometimes think "if I had an ipad, I could be playing or doing something etc"

So if it's ?200 I'll have to purchase one :p.

If it's announced it's looking like Sep 12, rumour has it

Imo, a screen less than 9-10" is too small to do anything productive. Also, given that the iPod Touch is ~$200 (USD), an iPad Mini probably wouldn't be that much cheaper than the current iPad to justify the loss of screen real estate. My guess it that it would be priced at at least $299, at which point you might as well spend the extra $200 and get the real deal.

@intrinsica, thats the thing, do you ever think "would I use an ipad..." sometimes when I'm linging on my sofa watching TV or so, if it's boring I sometimes think "if I had an ipad, I could be playing or doing something etc"

Simply put, I've never thought about that. I've been watching TV and thought, "this is boring I can be doing something else at the same time" and then I pull out my smartphone. Before I got my smartphone I would use my iPod Touch. Both are pocket sized, and so are almost always with me (well, not the iPod anymore; the phone does my music as well).

I was about to buy an ipad a few months ago but decided against it because I thought "will i really use it," the answer was yes but for how long?? I couldnt justify the money for it and at the moment there are too many niggling rumour issues with the screen and apps etc that are stopping me making a decision. Shall wait and see, I like the look of it though, less bulky which appeals to me.

Nope, got burned by buying an iPad 1st gen which has been left in a terribly unstable state (crashing/slow to register input etc.) by ios5 and won't be upgraded to ios6. Now if they go back and release an upgrade that tweaks it back to at least some of its former glory, then yup I will purchase Apple in the future.

Nope, got burned by buying an iPad 1st gen which has been left in a terribly unstable state (crashing/slow to register input etc.) by ios5 and won't be upgraded to ios6. Now if they go back and release an upgrade that tweaks it back to at least some of its former glory, then yup I will purchase Apple in the future.

Jailbreak it. The iPad 1 is really old with obsolete hardware, so Apple really has no reason to support new software optimized for better hardware. But I'm willing to bet you can jailbreak it and install some "optimizations". Search around. There's a lot of support forums out there for jailbreaking.

I'd buy a Mini because I'm addicted to Apple ... lol ... but I don't see myself really using it if it does come out. I think the iPhone and the iPad are beautifully settled as the products that suit the markets they're in ... the whole mid sized tablet thing really isn't that necessary when you have those two. The Google Nexus 7 is lovely, but the only reason it's 7 inch is to keep costs down ... it wasn't a choice based on user preference. It's because they released it at ?159. Which is brilliant ... but too small.

Two generations out of date ... accept that. I accept that my new iPad probably wont make it past iOS 7 ... but I'll have the latest one by that point :)

Seriously though, it has alrady been said, is not a latest iPod or iPhone the iPad mini? Would really seem like a huge marketing gimmick to me if Apple released a "mini" iPad.

And I own countless iPods, an iPhone, and 2 iPads (one from work one personal), so it is not like I am a iPad hater, just pointing out what I believe to be the truth.

Sure, I guess a device that is a size between the iPod and iPads could be useful to some, I personally think just get one or the other (other would be a strong recomendation of iPad from me).

Jailbreak it. The iPad 1 is really old with obsolete hardware, so Apple really has no reason to support new software optimized for better hardware. But I'm willing to bet you can jailbreak it and install some "optimizations". Search around. There's a lot of support forums out there for jailbreaking.

I've installed custom roms on my old Samsung Omnia (i8910hd) phone before and saw a radical difference, but wasn't sure about whether i'd see much difference in jailbreaking the ipad except for the access to unlicensed software. Cheers for the advice though, i'll definitely look into it again :)

Two generations out of date ... accept that. I accept that my new iPad probably wont make it past iOS 7 ... but I'll have the latest one by that point :)

I just find it a bit bizarre that my iPad could handle apps like Infinity Blade without so much of a stutter, but now can't open Safari without falling over. On iOS 4 it was all buttery smooth and next to no crashes - I even started to believe the talk about Apple stuff "just working".

I could understand if there was a new all singing and dancing interface with wizzy 3d graphics etc, but apart from Notifications there doesn't appear to be too much to it (possibly my ignorance of major backend changes showing).

Vista got pilloried for being a resource-hog and everyone wanted to downgrade to XP so they could have their PC's feel responsive and stable again - that's pretty much where I feel right now with my iPad :(

I've already got an iPad mini...I call it an iPod Touch. :p

Personally I'm not bothering with any tablets at the moment. I've got a laptop and a smartphone, I don't need an in-between device as well.

Damn! I was going to post that but you beat me to it :p

I just find it a bit bizarre that my iPad could handle apps like Infinity Blade without so much of a stutter, but now can't open Safari without falling over. On iOS 4 it was all buttery smooth and next to no crashes - I even started to believe the talk about Apple stuff "just working".

I could understand if there was a new all singing and dancing interface with wizzy 3d graphics etc, but apart from Notifications there doesn't appear to be too much to it (possibly my ignorance of major backend changes showing).

Vista got pilloried for being a resource-hog and everyone wanted to downgrade to XP so they could have their PC's feel responsive and stable again - that's pretty much where I feel right now with my iPad :(

I think that's part of Apple's evil ploy. They could put in a ton of work to make the older products work better, but it potentially loses them sales if people then choose to not buy the new product. The new software is optimized for the new CPU and will utilize the power, so it's a given that older products wouldn't work as well. Though I guess it's better to have it run half-assed than not work at all.

Just as a random thought, you should try out Chrome for iOS. Yeah, it's basically Safari with the Chrome shell on it, but it's probably worth a try. I was never a fan of Safari so when Chrome came out recently, I switched over to it. Much better, imo. :)

I think that's part of Apple's evil ploy. They could put in a ton of work to make the older products work better, but it potentially loses them sales if people then choose to not buy the new product. The new software is optimized for the new CPU and will utilize the power, so it's a given that older products wouldn't work as well. Though I guess it's better to have it run half-assed than not work at all.

Just as a random thought, you should try out Chrome for iOS. Yeah, it's basically Safari with the Chrome shell on it, but it's probably worth a try. I was never a fan of Safari so when Chrome came out recently, I switched over to it. Much better, imo. :)

I'll give Chrome a go now, thanks for that :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread +Dan

I've always thought anything smaller than a 9-10" screen defeats the point of a tablet so I know I wouldn't.... people seem to like the idea however otherwise they wouldn't be thinking about one.

Moved to Netbook, Tablet & Media Devices

I'll give Chrome a go now, thanks for that :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread +Dan

Pygmy

I gave my mother my iPad 1 run ios5.

I really think you need to wipe your tablet and give it a fresh install if its as bad as you say it is.

I guess I'm one of the few people who don't believe they will release a mini. Why should they? Their current tablet is #1 by a mile.

Anyway, even if the do release it, I wouldn't buy it. No need for it.