#17 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:29

http://www.theoscarproject.org/

Challenge accepted.

Posted Image

Although - started in 1999, last update in 2006, now - forum down for maintenance, documents page throws Fatal error (PHP) - quite telling of many freetard aspirations, that will continue to be doomed to fail before they even begin, at least while the concept of money lasts. Upkeep costs, research costs, production costs, materials cost, manhours cost - it's even worse with physical stuff because it cannot be copy-pasted.

Also, potential trademark conflict with OSCar Rally Raid cars.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:02

Open Source is the future, just not the now. Time has a way of changing things.

#19 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:52

Open Source is good but the future? nah

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:59

So now they moved from "Next year is the year of Linux" to "Somewhere in the future lies the year of Linux". I guess it's a much safer approach. And if Nixie Pixel says it, it must be true.

Linux on desktop hasn't taken off, however, it has astronomically exploded in terms of growth. Just look at Android.

#21 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:20

It's a great time for GNU/Linux, and FOSS in general. Things are really starting to heat up.

Linux on desktop hasn't taken off, however, it has astronomically exploded in terms of growth. Just look at Android.

Ubuntu is on target for 5% of the PC market by next year. Average PC users are now starting to get GNU/Linux through OEM pre-installations, and that's what determines future marketshare. If enough OEM's get on board with pre-installs, I'd say Linux can grab 15-30% of the desktop market or more easily.

#22 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:45

Obviously I was talking about the desktop.

Ubuntu is on target for 5% of the PC market by next year. Average PC users are now starting to get GNU/Linux through OEM pre-installations, and that's what determines future marketshare. If enough OEM's get on board with pre-installs, I'd say Linux can grab 15-30% of the desktop market or more easily.

Linux (desktop) in general has about 1% marketshare yet you're telling us Ubuntu is on its way to 5%? Care to explain?

#23 StevenJ

StevenJ

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 13:05

yeah, My eyes can easily tell the difference between 680 FPS and 270FPS.... gawd... if only these darn screens where faster then 60Hz I could show you, trust me I could!

I'm not sure if you've studied algorithm analysis and complexity (ie asymptotic analysis, computational complexity) but this increase in frame rates is a lot. It means that it is more efficient, thus using less resources and energy. It also means it requires less resources, allowing outdated less powerful machines to still play the game. This is something that, as an example at least, has allowed the Xbox 360 to stay as relevant as it has so far. Of course there will always be physical limitations, but if you can get the best out of something then why not. In a few years time you will have a monitor with a faster refresh rate, and will see the difference.

I remember talking about building a computer with my friend back in 2002 and I mentioned I wanted an 80gb HDD. I still remember his response: "you will never fill that up."

#24 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 August 2012 - 13:54

Obviously I was talking about the desktop.

Yeah, you weren't clear in your post... regardless it has astronomically exploded in terms of growth

#25 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:02

Saw the Ouya and knew I shouldn't click play

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:06

Linux (desktop) in general has about 1% marketshare yet you're telling us Ubuntu is on its way to 5%? Care to explain?

In the past he's been known to argue that all statistics and usage ratings are false and that linux is about to get a market lead....

#27 Synthetic

Synthetic

The one The only

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S Neo

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:40

It's simplezz, he'll make up whatever numbers he want's damn it!

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:01

I'm not sure if you've studied algorithm analysis and complexity (ie asymptotic analysis, computational complexity) but this increase in frame rates is a lot. It means that it is more efficient, thus using less resources and energy. It also means it requires less resources, allowing outdated less powerful machines to still play the game. This is something that, as an example at least, has allowed the Xbox 360 to stay as relevant as it has so far. Of course there will always be physical limitations, but if you can get the best out of something then why not. In a few years time you will have a monitor with a faster refresh rate, and will see the difference.

I remember talking about building a computer with my friend back in 2002 and I mentioned I wanted an 80gb HDD. I still remember his response: "you will never fill that up."

I was just making a simple joke that once you go past hundereds of FPS the difference becomes very hard to tell, hence why I said 200ish vs 600ish fps large numbers for a reason

#29 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:14

200 vs 600 fps. No, you wouldn't tell the difference, I dga(n utter)f what ANYONE says, physics and persistance of vision says YOU ARE WRONG, IT IS NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLY TO SEE AT EVEN 200FPS!

Now I didn't watch the video but I see GNU/linux overall kinda improving. 10 years ago I was lucky if I got red hat 9 to run properly on an AMD system, no USB support, web server was flakey, random crashes. Now it runs on loads of things, heck it even runs on things that windows won't run on, from something as simple as an advanced watch or raspberry pi (btw, the WODE for the wii runs linux) or even to the leading supercomputers, or just PCs with BIOS's and boot drives > 3GB :p.

Anyway I don't think linux will ever be in the lead, MS and apple hold patents, so there's things that they'll be able to do/finance and implement/share with each other that people will like/want/get used to, and linux won't be able to implement it because they'll get sued. But that does not mean open source is a bad thing or that it's wrong. Open source is what you make of it, and yes, even if closed source stuff like Steam comes to linux and the source isn't available, so what ? It's not going to harm linux and it's not gonna make FOSS developers think '****, quick, hide all the source of our software, start charging for it' etc. though it will probably get more people coding/releasing things for linux!

#30 koolguy

koolguy

Neowinian

• Phone: Basic Samsung Mobile

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:19

Not until Microsoft dies :)