pc xbox360 ps3 sleeping dogs

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,241 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:47

Have played a ton of this game already :)

It doesn't bode so well for my sleep schedule.

#17 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,935 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 August 2012 - 16:26

Is it me, or is the hand to hand combat initially really damn hard? I just started playing the game, and I am on the first real mission after being shown your apartment where you have to fight some Dogeyes or whatever they are called at some Warehouse, and seriously I just keep dying. Was I supposed to do other missions prior to taking on the real mission?

Also have to say it is really messing me up driving on the other side of the road. :laugh:

So far really digging it though.

#18 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 16,935 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 17:33

Just an update, I was just a little impatient with the hand to hand combat. Settled down a bit, and took out the guys pretty easily.
Really is a pretty damn good game overall. My one and only complaint so far is the draw distance does not seem to be the greatest, but wondering if this is just how the consoles can handle the game itself.

#19 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,998 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 18:03

Just an update, I was just a little impatient with the hand to hand combat. Settled down a bit, and took out the guys pretty easily.
Really is a pretty damn good game overall. My one and only complaint so far is the draw distance does not seem to be the greatest, but wondering if this is just how the consoles can handle the game itself.

It sure will be.

The only open world game I've ever seen on a console with good draw distance is Just Cause 2, but that's because it's very simple in regards to "towns/cities".

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 16,935 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 18:42

It sure will be.

The only open world game I've ever seen on a console with good draw distance is Just Cause 2, but that's because it's very simple in regards to "towns/cities".

I think Infamous' draw distance is pretty good overall.
Honestly this may in fact be the worst draw distance I have seen on an open world game ever. It does not totally ruin the experience, but does break it some.

#21 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,241 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 22:05

I still have problems with the drug dealers, but that's it. So I run them over with my car before engaging hand to hand :rofl:

#22 PsychD

PsychD

Neowinian

• 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:07

I'm quite pleased with the experience I've had after a few hours of gaming, I've gotten easier into it than I got into GTA IV, which took quite a while.
I like the fighting quite a lot especially the enviromental takedowns, the only let down so far is the driving. The handling isn't feeling as good as it could have, but I'm getting used to it.

#23 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,369 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:11

I'm quite pleased with the experience I've had after a few hours of gaming, I've gotten easier into it than I got into GTA IV, which took quite a while.
I like the fighting quite a lot especially the enviromental takedowns, the only let down so far is the driving. The handling isn't feeling as good as it could have, but I'm getting used to it.

Im playing it on the PS3 and it's an amazing game like you said, and yes the driving isnt the best, I also found the camera while driving does some weird things too.

#24 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,728 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:18

I've finally sat down and had a proper session on the game and i just love it. I'm really enjoying the story, although i've been pre-occupied with side missions. The way it is going, it is going to get much worse for Wei i think.

I've finally got to grips with the melee combat. Once you learn the types of fighter, you get along with it much easier as you plan how to attack someone. Running and throwing someone off a bridge/cliff never gets old.

I agree with everyone on above, the driving is a bit naff. The driving reminds me of Saints Row.

I also really like when you complete a certain mission it can sometimes unlock collectibles on the map. At the moment i have the locations for Jade Statues and health shrines.

#25 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,241 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:42

It actually reminds me of Just Cause 2. I'm wondering if they used its engine (and improved it, of course.)

#26 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

• 479 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:11

I am loving this game SO MUCH. I have been waiting for a game like this for years; a free roam beat'em up, it is BEAUTIFUL!

Spent far too much time just searching for people to fight. I think I must have completed one of the Martial Arts Clubs about 10 times so far.

I've always enjoyed the True Crime series, and this is no exception. It unashamedly steals features and ideas from all sorts of games, and for once that isn't a bad thing. I especially liked the fact they put in the Taxi feature from GTA4, that is so sorely missed in the Saints Row series.

If I was to give a quick description to someone who had never heard of S.D, I'd say:

Batman Arkham City/Asylum's fighting mechanic with the thriving cities from GTA & SR.

#27 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

• 761 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 21:18

i've been following it for quite some time. man and with this one, i don't care about coughing up 60 bucks for a copy. the game looks freaking amazing.
looks like chow yun fat's hardboiled to me.

#28 PsychD

PsychD

Neowinian

• 103 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:59

Managed to play even more yesterday and now I'm continuing where I left off - What a way to spend my vacation!
I'm really into the whole martial arts and you really get some pretty sweet moves by helping out the wannabe Mr. Miyagi. I really think they made the right choice by making guns play a lesser role than in GTA IV, where you can be fully armed in five minutes, they really are used at the right times.
The driving is still making me crazy and the motorbikes are just the worst I've ever tried driving. Besides that I really believe the police could use an overhaul, they just seem to be there for scripted events and for looks when roaming.

#29 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,926 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:09

It actually reminds me of Just Cause 2. I'm wondering if they used its engine (and improved it, of course.)

Just Cause 2 (and Renegade Ops) use Avalanche Engine 2.0 and is a propriety engine from Avalanche Studios (makes sense lol).

Sleeping Dogs uses an in house propriety engine developed by United Front it looks like from scratch.

Also, there is now a demo for Sleeping Dogs available on Steam!

#30 basques

basques

hentai otaku

• 288 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:10

I'm loving the game so far. Playing it on PC with a controller, I love the graphics to be honest. The city looks beatiful. And just can't get enough of the story :|