Man accused of locking girlfriend in bedroom for years

PATERSON, NJ ? Police searching an apartment for drugs found a woman they believe was kept padlocked in a bedroom for long periods of time over the last several years -- perhaps as long as a decade.

The 44-year-old woman was discovered on Thursday by members of the state police street gang unit as they searched the Paterson home of 42-year-old Michael Mendez, believed to be a member of the Latin Kings street gang.

State police spokesman acting Sgt. 1st Class Brian Polite said based on interviews and evidence, investigators believe the woman was kept in the bedroom for extended periods of time for the last two years and possibly up to 10 years.

Investigators said the woman was sometimes let out of the room when her boyfriend was home.

Mendez was charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment and other counts, including some related to the drugs officials said they were looking for in the first place. State police said they found 4,200 prescription pills valued at $100,000, 190 grams of marijuana valued at nearly $2,000 and nearly $23,000 in cash inside his apartment.

more

I'd decline the "False imprisonment" charge, I'd say it was true :p

There was a story like this a few years back, but the guy who locked the woman up kept getting her pregnant, think it was like 16 babies over the years :o

Brian Polite... Guessing he's always the good cop.

Can't believe I just made that joke /facepalm

190 grams of marijuana valued at nearly $2,000

I'm not down with the kids when it comes to illegal drugs but isn't that a bit of an over-valuation?...

Nope, not at all. 24 grams = an ounce. So that is almost 8 ounces. So in fact, that means it was crap stuff.

Nope, not at all. 24 grams = an ounce. So that is almost 8 ounces. So in fact, that means it was crap stuff.

Um, appears that an ounce is 28.349523125 grams.

Um, appears that an ounce is 28.349523125 grams.

Close enough. My apologies my drug weights are not exact. :laugh:

I'm not down with the kids when it comes to illegal drugs but isn't that a bit of an over-valuation?...

Not if it were weed, in the UK it's around ?180 an ounce, and from what I have heard prices don't differ that greatly in the US, and 190 grams amounts to 6.7 ounces which adds up to around ?1200 which is not all that far off of $2k

If it was considered "good quality" and broken down into about 1/8th ounce bags, it could sell for about $2,683*.

If it was considered "bad quality" and sold in about ounce sized bags, it could sell for as low as $271*.

Without knowing the quality it is hard to say...but you can guess how the officers value it no matter what the quality is.

*Figures based on what a friend just told me.

28g = ounce. Maybe different location (or maybe your good stuff is a lot better than the good stuff here), but I would say that ~$2000 is right for at least the "decent stuff". Crap stuff would be far far less.