Recommend me a 10" tablet approx

Hi everyone,

I appreciate this is in a support section, so if it's in the wrong place, I apologise.

Been a long time since I visited here but hoping I'll get a few responses from some fellow UK users.

I have been wanting to get a tablet for a long time now and it looks like next month I'll finally be able to do it. So... After doing a bit of reading today and I'm undecided between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or the Motorola Xoom 2. I can get both for less than ?300 which is my cut off point. Looking for some feedback from some other owners of either tab or just anyone who can make a different recommendation for a similar Android 10" tablet.

Main uses for the tab will be:

Netflix, iPlayer, 4oD etc

Browsing

email

Few games

Keeping up to dates with my library of comics which are just too small on the Galaxy S3

Appreciate any and all comments or feedback :)

Not sure on 10" tablets but I can certainly say that the Nexus 7 is a beast of a machine and better than anything I have used previously, think if you are set on the screen size then I would go with the Tab 2 right now, seems that it's a pretty good all round machine.

Why not wait 2 months to get a hand on Windows 8 based tablets? I am sure there must be at least 1 which falls in your range.

Was considering waiting for a surface or something similar but I would honestly wait for a second gen one, iron out most of the tweaks etc. Totally not averse to considering surface/win 8 as I think it could be a really good platform, just wanted something reasonably soon.

As for 7" devices: I may be sick of lugging this hefty laptop with me whenever I go anywhere but I already have a Galaxy S3, and while I appreciate they are different devices, I couldn't watch a movie on my phone comfortably, and that's almost 5" so really want a 10" device. Think I've almost made up my mind it's now between the Tab 2 10.1 (not the note, as that will be too costly) and now the Toshiba AT300, both good quality screens and have what I want, the Toshiba has slightly better hardware but currently cannot be rooted, and the Samsung is a tad cheaper, more open but doesn't have the specs to match the tosh... choices choices.

i'd go with the Galaxy Tab2 10.1, simply for the fact that you can root it, thus meaning you could overclock it if you need that extra boost for something

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was lucky enough to stumble around a friends house who's housemate has just come back from Dubai with an Asus Transformer TF300 (not the prime). It's pretty much the cheapest Tegra 3 device available right now, and looks like a pretty serious piece of kit.

I've spent the last two hours or so fruitlessly googling to try and find one to buy without a keyboard. Asus official website wasn't a huge help as almost everywhere either sells it with the ?130+ keyboard or only stocks the Prime, which is also about ?100 more.

Can anyone out there with superior Google-fu than I try and find me the 32Gb model for sale?

Extra special brownie points if anyone can also find it in rarer than unicorn poop red!?

Again, thank you for the help so far gents :)

Nexus 7 is what i would recommend got a friend with one and he loves it cant beat the price on it and he uses it for netflix and gaming and for the price of $200 or $249 you get 1.2ghz Tegra 3 quad core with 12 core GPU 1280x800 221PPI screen and well Jelly bean the battery life for him allowed him to watch 3 HD movies playing 3 hrs of GTA 3 and 2hrs of maxpayne 3 and 1hr of Dead trigger and allot of texting and youtube and some video chatting and still have 2hrs of life left he was able to eek out 11.8hrs on a single charge

Nexus 7 is what i would recommend got a friend with one and he loves it cant beat the price on it and he uses it for netflix and gaming and for the price of $200 or $249 you get 1.2ghz Tegra 3 quad core with 12 core GPU 1280x800 221PPI screen and well Jelly bean the battery life for him allowed him to watch 3 HD movies playing 3 hrs of GTA 3 and 2hrs of maxpayne 3 and 1hr of Dead trigger and allot of texting and youtube and some video chatting and still have 2hrs of life left he was able to eek out 11.8hrs on a single charge

It's a great tablet and all (have one myself) but as you can see in the topic title, he wants a 10"

Thank you Brando, I am indeed after a 10" because I'd get eyestrain and headaches squiting at the 7" screen for netflix/movies. As an e-reader, The Nexus 7 looks perfect, but not as a multimedia.

After a bit more research, the two new offerings from Acer (Iconia Tab A700) and Asus (Transformer TF700) both come with a 1980x1200 screen which is as close to Retina as you can get right now and actually follows an established standard (as the bottom 120 pixels is for the menu buttons, meaning you get proper 1080p no matter what) and they're both priced at around ?330ish so they are my main choices now. However, I cannot for the life of me find any of them in the UK, looks like my only choice is importing from ebay, not ideal.

I have already invested a lot of money on the play store meaning I have no interest in starting over with another round of purchases for apps. Besides, I'm not an apple fan in the slightest (the devices are fine, the company however has disgusting mentalities that I refuse to support, but that's an issue for another thread)

ya, wait for Oct 24 and grab yourself a surface for $199 Cad/US

speaking of this, wouldn't it be interesting if an app like BlueStacks came out for Windows RT that allowed you to use android apps?

I'd really look into the Asus TF300. Any tablet without a Tegra 3 is a bit of a waste right now as they're all pretty slow. Especially that Galaxy Tab 2. Stay away from it.

Or another really interesting one would be this one:

http://www.sony.co.u...let-s/sgpt121gb

It's a bit over your budget (?329) but it's really, really good. An excellent display, waterproof, Tegra 3 and lightning fast. And Sony's media apps are absolutely great! And it has an IR blaster with macro mode, so you can basically use it just like a Logitech universal remote, controlling everything in your house.