Photo

Windows 8 ISOs don't have ei.cfg anymore?

win8

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:15

I noticed that the ISO for Windows 8 Pro RTM doesn't have the familiar ei.cfg file that Windows 7 SKUs had. In Windows 7, you could edit or remove this file and then you would be able to install whichever SKU version you wished. But I can't find any such file in the Windows 8 RTM ISO. Anyone else found this to be the case also?

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:19

Enterprise has ei.cfg

Professional doesn't, but it's also possible the unofficial ISO's don't have it but the MS released ones will.

#3 OP +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:22

So, you're thinking the official releases tomorrow on Technet and MSDN will have it? I guess I was figuring that the leaked builds are exactly what are coming out officially.

#4 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:23

So, you're thinking the official releases tomorrow on Technet and MSDN will have it? I guess I was figuring that the leaked builds are exactly what are coming out officially.

Dunno, we will just have to wait and see.

#5 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:24

you should never assume, especially with the groups the leaked them

#6 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:25

They are the same files, but if I remember correctly they weren't in ISO form and they had to turn the install files into a bootable ISO. CRC checks are unlikely to match the official ISOs, and it wouldn't shock me at all if they aren't 100% identical otherwise because they may have had to hack it a bit. I think they messed with the EULA as well.

#7 OP +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:25

True that.

#8 takeahike

takeahike

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:18

Yes I noticed that too and was concerned as to how one would go about "unlocking" all SKUs like in Windows 7 where simply removing the ei.cfg would do it. So looking over another all-in-one download that did unlock several SKUs I noticed that a ei.cfg was created that essentially did the same thing. I've tried it and it works to unlock the SKUs. Just create the file with notepad and add it to the \sources directory (where it was in win 7) and you will get the result below. The ei.cfg file I used is shown below. You can also make an all-in-one disk that this attached graphic is from by following easy instructions here (this is for win 7 but it adapts easily and works the same for win8 (I've tested!): http://www.techpower...ad.php?t=145356 By the way, using this ei.cfg file also had the effect of giving the menu instead of having to enter a key. You can therefore install without a key--it does ask for a key at the end (instead of the beginning) of the install but, also, using this file gives you a "skip" option at that point! Of course you'll need something eventually to activate.

ei.cfg file:
[Channel]
volume

[VL]

Attached Images

• win_8_menu.JPG

#9 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:38

Yes I noticed that too and was concerned as to how one would go about "unlocking" all SKUs like in Windows 7 where simply removing the ei.cfg would do it. So looking over another all-in-one download that did unlock several SKUs I noticed that a ei.cfg that was created that essentially did the same thing. I've tried it and it works to unlock the SKUs. Just create the file with notepad and add it to the \sources directory (where it was in win 7) and you will get the result below. The ei.cfg file I used is shown below. You can also make an all-in-one disk that this attached graphic is from by following easy instructions here (this is for win 7 but it adapts easily and works the same for win8 (I've tested!): http://www.techpower...ad.php?t=145356 By the way, using this ei.cfg file also had the effect of giving the menu instead of having to enter a key. You can therefore install without a key--it does ask for a key at the end (instead of the beginning) of the install but, also, using this file gives you a "skip" option at that point! Of course you'll need something eventually to activate.

ei.cfg file:
[Channel]
volume

[VL]

thanks for that!, very useful

#10 OP +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:43

Brilliant! Thank you! Of course, I'll be installing just the Pro version, since I really don't see the need for the additional stuff that comes with the Ultimate version. Unless, of course, Ultimate has features that I would find useful.

#11 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:48

Brilliant! Thank you! Of course, I'll be installing just the Pro version, since I really don't see the need for the additional stuff that comes with the Ultimate version. Unless, of course, Ultimate has features that I would find useful.

There is no Ultimate.

http://en.wikipedia....dows_8_editions

#12 takeahike

takeahike

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:49

no Ultimate--just "home" called Windows 8 (also called the 'core' version) and Windows 8 Pro. They went from 5 versions back to 2, like in XP. There's also Enterprise and Server 2012, like there was with 7, and a new WinRT that is just for tablets.

#13 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:51

There is no Windows 8 Ultimate.

#14 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:58

no Ultimate--just "home" called Windows 8 (also called the 'core' version) and Windows 8 Pro. They went from 5 versions back to 2, like in XP. There's also Enterprise and Server 2012, like there was with 7, and a new WinRT that is just for tablets.

Terrible bad info there. No "home", no "Core".

Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro
WIndows RT (Pre-loaded Tablets)
Windows Enterprise (Volume License)

#15 OP +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:16

There is no Windows 8 Ultimate.

Ah OK. Well, makes sense. It was best with XP; XP Home and Professional. Especially since with Windows 7 the Ultimate version came only with BitLocker drive encryption and free language pack addons.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!