playback issues on TV after handbrake encoding

When I encode videos with handbrake using either the strict or loose anamorphic setting the playback on my T.V. (LG 47LW5700) is the original source size.

Example: A video source might be 720x576, when I choose the Strict setting it says the display size will be 1024x546 - which it is if I play it with VLC, but if I try to stream it to my TV from my NAS or play it from a USB drive the original source size is displayed. Is this an issue with my TV or is there some setting in Handbrake I need to enable/disable to get it to playback at the larger display size.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer :)

• 5 months later...

even when you specify the size, the native size(ratio) of the video is preserved, and will be acknowledged by your TV. It depends on the implementation. If this is how your TV behaves, you really gotta let it, because that's how it's implemented on your TV's decoding chip.

Thats anamorphic encoding, MKV have the ability to set the aspect ratio flag in the container, if your TV ignores it which it sounds like it is doing it will just play back the 720x576 raw video.

You're better off just disabling anamorphic encoding, you won't gain any quality by doing so, all it does is stretches 720x576 to 1024x576.