Australia cigarette plain packaging law upheld by court

So when are they going to start sticking photo's of fat people on packets of cream cakes? Or pictures of people with liver disease on bottles of vodka?

The difference is that unhealthy food and alcohol can be consumed in moderation without any risk to health. Where food additives have been found to contain carcinogens they have banned outright, while alcohol is age restricted to prevent adverse health effects in children.

Smoking is a disgusting habit that doesn't have any benefits and has a lot of drawbacks. I don't think it should be banned outright but I think it's a good idea to require plain packaging as that's a form of advertising and - as pointed out earlier - it can lead impressionable youths to believe that smoking is cool.

Fact-check for those who believe smoking is only dangerous for them:

In Switzerland, we introduced a federal smoking ban in public places (except small restaurants) and some states introduced smoking bans before that.

In Grisons, there were ~20% less myocardial infarctions on non-smokers two years after their 2008 smoking ban. (in Lucern, which didn't have one at the time, nothing changed). In Geneva, 20% less pneumonia and obstructive lung diseases. A study in Vaud pointed out that people employed in restaurants got a boost in their lung volumes.

At the country level, the savings thanks to the law are 420 millions of Swiss franks. (~431 millions $)

(source, in French...may require a paid account, though: http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/a8c12124-aa95-11e1-bc55-5e66feda42fa/En_Suisse_linterdiction_de_fumer_porte_ses_fruits )

• Like 2

Yeah, never seen anyone break the law. I wonder what that would be like..

People smoke in the streets, people walk in smelling like smoke or dragging some of it in with them, the chemicals and smell stay on people's breath, people smoke in toilets.

Man, I can't get over how much smokers are just straight up full blown ***** when it comes to their addiction.

I haven't been in a pub or club and seen anyone smoking. The owners could lose their liquor license or be heavily fined. They don't allow it. Frankly, I think it is a good thing people can't smoke indoors any more.

"dragging some of it in with them" Really? What are smokers? Cartoons who have a cloud of smoke which follows them everywhere? As far as people smelling bad: ever been in an enclosed space with some idiot who pours gallons of after shave on? Or a women who use half a litre of perfume? Honestly, I would take the smell of cigarette smoke over that 10 times out of 10.

I can't get over how self-righteous and sanctimonious non-smokers are. Unless a smoker is holding you down and blowing smoke into your face, stop whining.

For the record, I agree with the plain packaging legislation. I think it will deter younger smokers. Not in 100% of cases, but it makes kids less likely to be interested in smoking.

The difference is that unhealthy food and alcohol can be consumed in moderation without any risk to health. Where food additives have been found to contain carcinogens they have banned outright, while alcohol is age restricted to prevent adverse health effects in children.

Smoking is a disgusting habit that doesn't have any benefits and has a lot of drawbacks. I don't think it should be banned outright but I think it's a good idea to require plain packaging as that's a form of advertising and - as pointed out earlier - it can lead impressionable youths to believe that smoking is cool.

Of course the problem is alcohol and unhealthy food is rarely consumed sensibly and it is causing all type of health, and in the case of alcohol, societal issues.

Age restriction is a moot point. Brain development happens between the age of about 12-25 [1]. Starting to drink before 25 can have very negative consequences.

I haven't been in a pub or club and seen anyone smoking. The owners could lose their liquor license or be heavily fined. They don't allow it. Frankly, I think it is a good thing people can't smoke indoors any more.

"dragging some of it in with them" Really? What are smokers? Cartoons who have a cloud of smoke which follows them everywhere? As far as people smelling bad: ever been in an enclosed space with some idiot who pours gallons of after shave on? Or a women who use half a litre of perfume? Honestly, I would take the smell of cigarette smoke over that 10 times out of 10.

I can't get over how self-righteous and sanctimonious non-smokers are. Unless a smoker is holding you down and blowing smoke into your face, stop whining.

No, but when you walk forward you create a vacuum behind you that pulls air in with you. Just like with cars and bikes.

The after shave bather should be shot also.

It's not just a question of distasteful smell. It's been shown to be bad for you. I shouldn't have to be subjected to it, and that's doubly true given the health risks.

I'm not being sanctimonious, I'm being pragmatic :\

Also, there are benefits to smoking. The nicotine calms you down in situations of high stress. The lack of oxygen can cause euphoric sensations that deaden pain. Again the issue is that the bad stuff out weighs the good.

Yeah as someone said they wanted to do this to eliminate the image of cool looking packets etc for younger people tempted to start smoking.

They tried to introduce this in the UK and I think it wouldnt have an effect. Although I dont have a problem with buying a box/packet plain white with the manufacturers name and a picture as they already show of someone with a problem due to smoking.

Young people want to start smoking for the smoking, not the pretty package lol! I am 23 (almost 24) and have been smoking for 7/8 years and I didnt give a damn about how the packet looked lol I occasionally think back and wonder why I continued smoking but ah well.

I try to be respectful when walking around though, dont smoke in bus shelters, or walk about busy streets smoking etc. Mainly because I smoke rollups and cant be bothered rolling when walking so I just smoke when I'm not walking through a busy town etc

How do you feel about anal sex? It's also legal and completely within a persons rights..

How about I force you to be subjected to it.. Are you still in favour of it?

Now tell me how you feel that subjecting other people to smoke is significantly different in principle.

Shouldnt your hyperbolic example be something more like:

You enjoy anal sex, and he doesnt care if you do it, but would he still be in favour of you doing it if you had obnoxious, repulsive flatulence wherever you went? :D