Oracle Officially Launches Java SE 7 for OS X

Oracle Officially Launches Java SE 7 for OS X

Oracle today announced the release of several new Java software packages, including the new Java SE 7 Update 6 that brings full support for Java SE 7 to OS X for the first time. The release follows launch of Java development kits for OS X back in April.

- With this release, Oracle is providing full availability of Java SE 7 Update 6 on Mac OS X, including the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the Java Development Kit (JDK), as well as the JavaFX 2.2 rich client platform and JavaFX Scene Builder.

- Consumers will soon be able to download the JRE for Mac OS X from Java.com, just as they do for all other operating systems, and Oracle will provide auto-updates for Mac OS X at the same time as for Windows platforms.

java_se_7_update_6_versions.jpg

Apple announced in October 2010 that it was discontinuing its support for Java, with Steve Jobs noting that having Apple responsible for updates generally resulted in Java for OS X being one version behind Java for other platforms. Jobs noted that that "may not be the best way to do it", and his belief was proven true earlier this year after the Flashback malware was able to infect 600,000 Macs by taking advantage of a Java vulnerability that had already been patched in most versions of Java but not yet addressed by Apple.

Apple has continued to maintain Java SE 6 while contributing resources to the OpenJDK project to help Oracle and other developers build and maintain Java SE 7 and future versions. Notably, Apple's latest update to Java SE 6 came in sync with Oracle's updates for other platforms, indicating that Apple is working closely with Oracle to make sure Mac users are protected with up-to-date versions of Java on their systems.

Source: Mac Rumors

I thought Apple control the Java updates, Java was installed by the App store when I ran Minecraft and it looks like theres no way to uninstall it either

I had the necessity to install this evil the other day because of certain programs that I need to run, but it installed Apple's version automatically. Will existing installations be switched over to Oracle's eventually? Or will Apple's version just sit there until we overwrite it?

Unless it gives better performance in Minecraft, I don't see any reason to install this.

It does on Windows.

Great news for those who like/need/use Java, I guess. At least it will be kept up to date from now on.

Adobe Photoshop Cs5.5+ need Java to run, though I dont see any performance upgrades in a simple softwares like PS due to upgradation of Java.

It does on Windows.

Thats because it's physically impossible to run Minecraft on Windows without having Java from Oracle installed first ;)

Adobe Photoshop Cs5.5+ need Java to run, though I dont see any performance upgrades in a simple softwares like PS due to upgradation of Java.

Illustrator needs Java but unfortunately it demands version 6 along with Flash Builder 4 demands it too - we can only dream and hope that maybe in the next version of creative suite (or an update) so then we're no longer dependent on Apple's own Java.

The version of Java that Oracle provide is only a plugin for web browsers, or apps that specifically request it. Any normal Java app you run will use Apple's version instead.

But, if you install the JDK, then it integrates Java 7 into the method Apple uses to launch Java apps. It's pretty silly, but it is just the first release, so over time it'll actually replace what Apple provide.