Overclocking Help Requested!

Hi All,

Had a recent post where I want to buy a new gaming PC for less that ?600 (Barebones).

I ended up buying:

CPU - i5 3570K

Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G45

GFX - 2GB Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr 3

RAM - 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600

SSD - OCZ Agility 3 (60gb)

PSU - Corsair Silent Pro 700W

At stock settings of the CPU, everything works a dream.

I then went into the BIOS to play with the OC Genie 2 that comes with the Motherboard, pressed that option and it overclocked the CPU from 3.3 to 4.2 (GREAT!), about 95% of the time, the system runs fine, but I have had 2 occurences of a BSOD error coe: BC 101, which on investigation is due to the Vcore not being high enough for the CPU overclock.

The OC Genie 2 has set the Vcore voltage at 1.186, after looking at other poeple overclocking, they recommend using just over 1.2, so I set the bios back to normal, and manually overclocked using 42 as the Multiplier and 1.215 as the Vcore, It then boots into Windows fine, but the overclock is not register in computer properties and I get random freezing and more BSOD.

I have now put it back to normal stock settings, but it's obviously something i'm slightly not getting right.

Any help would be great!

Thanks to anyone who replies in advance.

Zim.

Use the OC genie to get it back to 4.2GHz and have a look at the other settings, see if it was just the multi that it upped or if it was the FSB too

Also turn off Intel Speedstep (The intel equivalent of cool and quiet) and any other power saving features, I'm AMD so things will be different

OK Cool, will post a couple of screenshots later of stock and OC Genie, see if you can make head nor tails.

In the meantime I will see if any power saving features are present.

@ Detection,

I took a screenshot of the OC Genie 2 settings, set the BIOS back to manual mode, set all the settings exactly the same but upped the vcore from 1.165 to 1.215 as per a lot of other settings I have seen. The 4.2 is holding fine now and I played a lot of BF3 on Ultra last night, so it looks good for now.

Thanks for the help :)

I personally advocate overclocking manually rather than using automated things to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, why You mess up with voltage, in my i5 2500k I get till 4.5 GHz only on multiplet, stable as rock, try to OC only with multiplier without messing in voltage :)

Set for example 4.3 and test, I use also MSI mobo, just P67A ;)