German federal court: ISPs must hand over pirates' details to rights ho

German federal court: ISPs must hand over pirates' details to rights holders

Germany's Federal Court of Justice has ruled that ISPs must in future hand over the names and addresses of known pirates and file sharers to rights holders. The ruling is, however, restricted to cases in which a judge has determined conclusively that an IP address is involved in copyright infringement and the powers cannot be used speculatively.

According to a court statement, the decision is the result of a long-running legal battle between German singer-songwriter Xavier Naidoo's record label Naidoo Records and the communications company Deutsche Telekom. It overturns two previous rulings by the regional court and the regional appeals court of Cologne, which sought to restrict the handover of personal information to cases of piracy on a "commercial scale."

The decision comes as ISPs around the world try to adapt to a new era of stringent anti-piracy regulation, with many, like Deutsche Telekom, attempting to hold out, while others bite the bullet and cooperate fully with rights holders. Earlier this year, the four largest ISPs in the US launched the Center for Copyright Information, a third-party enforcement organization run in collaboration with the MPAA and RIAA industry bodies. Whether similar groups could emerge in Europe remains to be seen.

Source: The Verge

Germany's Federal Court of Justice has ruled that ISPs must in future hand over the names and addresses of known pirates and file sharers to rights holders.

How are you a known pirate before someone has seen the evidence that identifies you as a pirate? :s

Great... excellent step backwards... :rolleyes:

Glassed Silver:win

Umm okay so if I get this right all this means is that if a right-holder sues a person on the base of copyright claims the ISP has to give out the details? :s The wording in the first sentence really confuses me... :pinch:

Umm okay so if I get this right all this means is that if a right-holder sues a person on the base of copyright claims the ISP has to give out the details? :s The wording in the first sentence really confuses me... :pinch:

Seems to me like you must be a proven violator first, which defeats the purpose IMHO as you'd actually need a court to rule against you to be legally guilty which again means there's no more need toput up the effort.

IMHO, this is getting out of hand, I hope the Pirate Party can fix a few things and populate the idea of serving people's will again instead of the lobbyists.

Seems to me like you must be a proven violator first, which defeats the purpose IMHO as you'd actually need a court to rule against you to be legally guilty which again means there's no more need toput up the effort.

IMHO, this is getting out of hand, I hope the Pirate Party can fix a few things and populate the idea of serving people's will again instead of the lobbyists.

Alright so if I understand you correctly all that happened is that people "lose the protection" of their ISPs... ugh what a mess :pinch: Don't get me wrong I don't condone piracy but of that whole corporations run the countries thing goes on like this I see us all living in police-states in the future... :/ Imho corporations should try to make content as cheap as possible in a margin so that the content creators get the money they deserve but so that's still cheap. Furthermore the more convenient you make it for the customer the more likely they are to use a service so instead of trying to eradicate piracy 100% they should try to please their customers while still making a honest profit, just like with illnesses and other wrongdoings there is nothing you can get rid off 100% as sad as that is :pinch: