Windows 8 Issues

Got the RTM from Technet, and all the issues Ive had accross Windows 8 CP, Windows 8 RP are still present, as well as a new issue.

I performed clean installs each time.

Windows Media player still cannot play any video file, I get a black screen with just audio. AVI, MP4, WMV same result.

X5NoY.png

Also with the Window colour set to Black I cannt read the text on the title bar, it doesnt glow white like it used to in Win7,

wDPkJ.png

i aslo have some issues with windows 8

Glad you elaborated on what your issues were, that way we know what to look for!

• Like 2

If you have enabled Hyper-V, DXVA will be corrupted in many circumstances.

The most common symptoms are no picture, or a green picture displayed. Try using a third party video player with DXVA disabled to determine if this is the issue you're experiencing.

If it is, you can use a video player with DXVA disabled, and also disable hardware acceleration in Flash. Or, uninstall Hyper-V.

Glad you elaborated on what your issues were, that way we know what to look for!

When i close the laptop and reopening it, it shows blackscreen again i have to shutdown the PC

If you have enabled Hyper-V, DXVA will be corrupted in many circumstances.

The most common symptoms are no picture, or a green picture displayed. Try using a third party video player with DXVA disabled to determine if this is the issue you're experiencing.

If it is, you can use a video player with DXVA disabled, and also disable hardware acceleration in Flash. Or, uninstall Hyper-V.

All videos play fine in VLC, it's a slight annoyance because sometimes I have record video games and use Movie Maker to edit them, Movie Maker only gets a black screen and audio with any video footage too. I ignored the issue in the CP and RP because they were just betas, now this is RTM I can't ignore them anymore.

When i close the laptop and reopening it, it shows blackscreen again i have to shutdown the PC

that's more than likely the video driver

All videos play fine in VLC, it's a slight annoyance because sometimes I have record video games and use Movie Maker to edit them, Movie Maker only gets a black screen and audio with any video footage too. I ignored the issue in the CP and RP because they were just betas, now this is RTM I can't ignore them anymore.

hmm, i can see how that'd be annoying.

maybe try installing a codec pack to see if it's just a problem with the included codecs

hmm, i can see how that'd be annoying.

maybe try installing a codec pack to see if it's just a problem with the included codecs

Any packs you recommend? In the CP and RP I tried CCCP and K-Lite to no avail.

Same issue here. When window color set to black the text on the title bar is unreadable. Could it be possible change it to white with some registry edit?

Is there any Safe Boot mode? I tried F8 during start, no luck.

Yes.

Option 1) Hold SHITF key while clicking on restart.

Option 2) Charm ->Settings -> PC Settings -> General -> Advanced Startup

More info here: http://blogs.msdn.co...ver-before.aspx

so it's been that way since the previews? (on your end)

Yea, never had the issue with Windows 7, did a clean install of the Consumer Preview, the issue struck, later did a clean install of Release Preview, the issue was still present. Done a clean install of Windows 8 Pro now, and the issue is still here.

Yea, never had the issue with Windows 7, did a clean install of the Consumer Preview, the issue struck, later did a clean install of Release Preview, the issue was still present. Done a clean install of Windows 8 Pro now, and the issue is still here.

Do you have Hyper-V enabled?

If so, this is likely causing your issue with video. Your options are to let the issue persist, or disable Hyper-V.

Without Hyper-V enabled, I haven't heard of any issues playing video.

If so, this is likely causing your issue with video. Your options are to let the issue persist, or disable Hyper-V.

I have Client Hyper-V enabled and failed to reproduce the issues. No issues with video playback.

post-65771-0-90959700-1345103601_thumb.p

I have Client Hyper-V enabled and failed to reproduce the issues. No issues with video playback.

Different hardware and drivers could make it hard to reproduce.

Also with the Window colour set to Black I cannt read the text on the title bar, it doesnt glow white like it used to in Win7,

Where is the quality control at microsoft these days? Why they leave that like this? Even the window control buttons not visible with black...

Hello,

I have few issues coming into mind now, I have listed them below:

1. Three icons those are Up, Create, Menu are not visable in open window. Software is real apk. I'm not sure its software fault or os. However, had no such issue in windows 7.

post-454645-0-60921400-1345130729.jpg

2. Thumb buttons on PowerDVD 12 taskbar thumbnail isn't showing. i.e previous, play/pause, next. However, it works fine on Aimp, WMP and etc. Of cource its the software fault, even though I'm using latestest version which says windows 8 supported.

post-454645-0-42527500-1345131143.png

PowerDVD 12

post-454645-0-09821400-1345131146.png

AIMP 3

3. In Windows 7 when I click bottom right corner, it would take me right to desktop but that thing isn't working in windows 8. I need to press within the show desktop button. Not outside the screen corner. Its fine when we are free but on busy works, this thing makes annoying. :(

Will post more later.

Thanks...

Best Regards

I know this is a bit off topic but try using Fraps in combination with Virtualdub, and a good X264 or DivX compressor. Much better results IMHO

How do I disable Hyper-V? I thought that was only for Virtual Machines?

Not sure if its a bug but in the desktop I.E 10 when you close a tab the other tabs double in size before shrinking. Strange behaviour.

To be fair windows 7 didn't display text on explorer's title bar to begin with, I wish I could disable the text all together.

Not sure if its a bug but in the desktop I.E 10 when you close a tab the other tabs double in size before shrinking. Strange behaviour.

Noticed this as well since RP.

I noticed too if you have multiple monitors you still can't snap an app to one and open another one on the other monitor. When you open the second app the first one collapses and shows the desktop.