Photo

[8 RTM] Chrome keeps disappearing from start screen.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:34

I'm running into an issue, where I try to pin the desktop version of google chrome to the start menu. It stays there for a bit, but after about 20 minutes it disappears.

When I repin the shortcut, it puts a (2) on it, but the first shortcut is never visible again. I have to go to Windows Explorer, Navigate to the Start Menu folder, delete the first shortcut, and then rename the new shortcut to remove the (2).

This doesn't happen when I pin the metro version of chrome, but I don't want to use the metro version of chrome.

Is anyone having this issue, or aware of a fix?

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:36

I'm running into an issue, where I try to pin the desktop version of google chrome to the start menu. It stays there for a bit, but after about 20 minutes it disappears.

When I repin the shortcut, it puts a (2) on it, but the first shortcut is never visible again. I have to go to Windows Explorer, Navigate to the Start Menu folder, delete the first shortcut, and then rename the new shortcut to remove the (2).

This doesn't happen when I pin the metro version of chrome, but I don't want to use the metro version of chrome.

Is anyone having this issue, or aware of a fix?

that's gotta be a chrome issue I would think. try submitting this in the chrome bug tracker and see what they say

#3 OP shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:37

No, I use FF.

Anyone else have an actual *useful* reply?

#4 OP shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:46

that's gotta be a chrome issue I would think. try submitting this in the chrome bug tracker and see what they say

Switched from Stable to the Dev channel, maybe that'll fix the issue.

#5 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:48

Switched from Stable to the Dev channel, maybe that'll fix the issue.

worth a try

#6 OP shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:53

Nope, still doing it.. How stupid. Only chrome too, none of the other pins are having this issue. Tested with another buddy and he's not having the issue. Must just be a random thing with my laptop..

#7 jshimmy3

jshimmy3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:55

It's been happening with me too, exact same thing. Weird....

#8 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:00

Edit: Nevermind

#9 nate.wages

nate.wages

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:55

Having a similar but different issue here. I'm able to pin it to both the taskbar and start screen, but I get this when I try to launch it.
Works fine if I go to the folder and run the executable directly. Tried to unpin/repin and reinstalled chrome but it still does it.

Posted Image

#10 alisalem

alisalem

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 (16GB Black)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:03

Having a similar but different issue here. I'm able to pin it to both the taskbar and start screen, but I get this when I try to launch it.
Works fine if I go to the folder and run the executable directly. Tried to unpin/repin and reinstalled chrome but it still does it.

It's an issue with the latest builds of Chrome and not related to Win 8. Even the Canary version suffers from it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen with old installations. So if you had your OS for a while with a previous version of Chrome installed, you won't have this issue.

On a new installation of Windows 7, it happens.

#11 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:05

Same problem for me with RTM. Never found a way round it. Be interested to hear if you do find a solution.

#12 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:11

The "default programs" settings suck in Windows 8. Because when you select a browser as "default" from the program itself, it doesn't always "stick" the only way to get around this properly is to open the start screen, type default programs, open it and wait for it to load all the programs in the left view pane, and then click on Chrome (or whatever browser you want default) and then set it as the default program in Windows.

You can set various protocols to open in other programs if you want, but if the main http and https are selected as default, the Metro version will show in the Start screen again.

#13 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:14

^ If Metro Chrome is set as default, Metro IE will vanish from the Start screen. This is probably why Chrome keeps vanishing... Metro IE is default...

Totally lame, MS. :rolleyes:

#14 nate.wages

nate.wages

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:21

Thanks for the info Sir Ali. What an odd bug, suppose I'll have to stick with a shortcut on the desktop for now.

It's an issue with the latest builds of Chrome and not related to Win 8. Even the Canary version suffers from it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen with old installations. So if you had your OS for a while with a previous version of Chrome installed, you won't have this issue.

On a new installation of Windows 7, it happens.

#15 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:25

Have you attacted this to a domain? Sounds a bit like a profile problem to be honest