[8 RTM] Chrome keeps disappearing from start screen.

I'm running into an issue, where I try to pin the desktop version of google chrome to the start menu. It stays there for a bit, but after about 20 minutes it disappears.

When I repin the shortcut, it puts a (2) on it, but the first shortcut is never visible again. I have to go to Windows Explorer, Navigate to the Start Menu folder, delete the first shortcut, and then rename the new shortcut to remove the (2).

This doesn't happen when I pin the metro version of chrome, but I don't want to use the metro version of chrome.

Is anyone having this issue, or aware of a fix?

I'm running into an issue, where I try to pin the desktop version of google chrome to the start menu. It stays there for a bit, but after about 20 minutes it disappears.

When I repin the shortcut, it puts a (2) on it, but the first shortcut is never visible again. I have to go to Windows Explorer, Navigate to the Start Menu folder, delete the first shortcut, and then rename the new shortcut to remove the (2).

This doesn't happen when I pin the metro version of chrome, but I don't want to use the metro version of chrome.

Is anyone having this issue, or aware of a fix?

that's gotta be a chrome issue I would think. try submitting this in the chrome bug tracker and see what they say

that's gotta be a chrome issue I would think. try submitting this in the chrome bug tracker and see what they say

Switched from Stable to the Dev channel, maybe that'll fix the issue.

Nope, still doing it.. How stupid. Only chrome too, none of the other pins are having this issue. Tested with another buddy and he's not having the issue. Must just be a random thing with my laptop..

Having a similar but different issue here. I'm able to pin it to both the taskbar and start screen, but I get this when I try to launch it.

Works fine if I go to the folder and run the executable directly. Tried to unpin/repin and reinstalled chrome but it still does it.

922f9976.png

Having a similar but different issue here. I'm able to pin it to both the taskbar and start screen, but I get this when I try to launch it.

Works fine if I go to the folder and run the executable directly. Tried to unpin/repin and reinstalled chrome but it still does it.

It's an issue with the latest builds of Chrome and not related to Win 8. Even the Canary version suffers from it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen with old installations. So if you had your OS for a while with a previous version of Chrome installed, you won't have this issue.

On a new installation of Windows 7, it happens.

Same problem for me with RTM. Never found a way round it. Be interested to hear if you do find a solution.

The "default programs" settings suck in Windows 8. Because when you select a browser as "default" from the program itself, it doesn't always "stick" the only way to get around this properly is to open the start screen, type default programs, open it and wait for it to load all the programs in the left view pane, and then click on Chrome (or whatever browser you want default) and then set it as the default program in Windows.

You can set various protocols to open in other programs if you want, but if the main http and https are selected as default, the Metro version will show in the Start screen again.

^ If Metro Chrome is set as default, Metro IE will vanish from the Start screen. This is probably why Chrome keeps vanishing... Metro IE is default...

Totally lame, MS. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Sir Ali. What an odd bug, suppose I'll have to stick with a shortcut on the desktop for now.

It's an issue with the latest builds of Chrome and not related to Win 8. Even the Canary version suffers from it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen with old installations. So if you had your OS for a while with a previous version of Chrome installed, you won't have this issue.

On a new installation of Windows 7, it happens.

I get this even without domain attachment.

The other super frustration is, if you set Chrome to be your default browser, it's impossible to make it launch the desktop version of the application. If you click the Chrome icon on the Start Screen, It insists on running it as a Metro version of the application. And if that wasn't bad enough it doesn't even bring in your bookmarks and so forth from the desktop version of Chrome. It seriously needs an update to fix some of these problems :|

I get this even without domain attachment.

The other super frustration is, if you set Chrome to be your default browser, it's impossible to make it launch the desktop version of the application. If you click the Chrome icon on the Start Screen, It insists on running it as a Metro version of the application. And if that wasn't bad enough it doesn't even bring in your bookmarks and so forth from the desktop version of Chrome. It seriously needs an update to fix some of these problems :|

You can pin the "desktop" version to the task bar ;)

The "default programs" settings suck in Windows 8. Because when you select a browser as "default" from the program itself, it doesn't always "stick" the only way to get around this properly is to open the start screen, type default programs, open it and wait for it to load all the programs in the left view pane, and then click on Chrome (or whatever browser you want default) and then set it as the default program in Windows.

You can set various protocols to open in other programs if you want, but if the main http and https are selected as default, the Metro version will show in the Start screen again.

+1 I thought it was just me!!! Glad I am not alone. Its frustrating!! I still don't really understand how it works

Could it have something to do with the WinRT Chrome being side-loaded with the desktop one? I'm not sure how they're getting it installed and bypassing the Windows Store. Perhaps the RTM is kicking it out because it's not signed?

Could it have something to do with the WinRT Chrome being side-loaded with the desktop one? I'm not sure how they're getting it installed and bypassing the Windows Store. Perhaps the RTM is kicking it out because it's not signed?

no, side loading web browsers is allowed in x86/x64

I'd suggest giving IE10 a try while Chrome becomes more stable on Windows 8. It's a really good browser. :p

Chrome Metro will only handle links within Metro apps (such as clicking a link in the Mail app), unless you start a session with it from the Start Screen. I have't tested how links from IRC are handled when only the Metro version is running, but I'm guessing it will launch the desktop version.

I think it sucks, why have two different environments for the same purpose? There's currently no way to disable the Metro version (of any default browser) either.

^ If Metro Chrome is set as default, Metro IE will vanish from the Start screen. This is probably why Chrome keeps vanishing... Metro IE is default...

Totally lame, MS. :rolleyes:

Changing your default browser isn't going to remove one from Start. Based on the comments above yours, it sound like a Chrome bug that also exists on Win7.

I think it sucks, why have two different environments for the same purpose? There's currently no way to disable the Metro version (of any default browser) either.

You can tell IE to always run on the desktop. In desktop IE, click Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab.

Changing your default browser isn't going to remove one from Start. Based on the comments above yours, it sound like a Chrome bug that also exists on Win7.

I don't think it works that way for Metro browsers. If Chrome is default, metro IE will disappear.

It is possible to always launch desktop version of Chrome but it's not easy - you have to uninstall it and then run installer in Windows 7, Vista or XP compatibility mode, and then do the same for Chrome itself so it won't register as a Metro app. I did it and now Chrome always launch in classic environment and its icon stopped disappearing.