Box now offers free desktop sync app + free 25GB for new users

Box is one of the more generous of the online storage services?especially if you got in on one of the free 50GB deals previously offered. However, syncing wasn't offered for personal users?until, it seems, now. Here's how to get Box syncing without a business account.

Slickdeals member mfaraday noticed a "Get BOX Sync" option under the "My Account" tab. This provides the Box Sync app (for PC or Mac). So, first log into your account at Box.com and click on "My Account" in the menu to see if the syncing option is there.

If it's not there for you (it wasn't for me), don't worry. Apparently new users are getting the feature. If you can get an invite for 50GB free from someone, you can set up a new account and should see the syncing option (You might even be able to send a 50GB invite to yourself from your account?as long as you don't have a commercial email address like Gmail or Yahoo).

If you don't have access to another 50GB offer, Slickdeals user BSGjunkie offers this link for 25GB:

https://www.box.com/.../o/hellosign_25

I set up a new account via that link and now have desktop syncing plus the 25GB storage space (normally free accounts come with just 5GB. Although it does suck to go down from the 50GB promo, syncing may be a fine tradeoff.).

Install the syncing app and then just like Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive, you'll have a new folder in your Windows Explorer/Finder for Box Documents. Note that the max file limit is just 100MB.

Source

Because it's unclear how long this will be available, jump on it now if you're interested.

Source:

Lifehacker

I did not see it on my account at first so I email-ed them and got this:

Thanks for your message.

The Box sync is being rolled out in waves for current users which is why you might not have it yet. However, I was able to manually enable sync for your account. You should be able to download sync now and get started by going to

https://www..box.com/settings/sync

Here is the link on the app installer (Windows) but I'm not sure if your account has to be enabled first before using it.